External Hard Drive Database Western Digital 750 gig

External Hard Drive Database 750 gig, Any Problems With These Drives?

• Total voters

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
I few days ago I stated in thread that I would try to put together a spreadsheet on External Hard Drive Bugs... I am thinking of approaching it differently by making a poll or polls as to the durability of the different brands of EHDD's... then we will have the data to start a spreadsheet rather than searching the threads.
I know there are many models of these drives, If I missed one let one of the Staff know and we can add it. If you have problems with one of these drives please note the problem and model in a post...

I have had no problems with my WD My Book 750Gb and has been on since E* started the EHDD.

Musher

I have had a WD 750 for about 4 or 5 months and have had no problem with it. I have two 622s and would like to move them back and forth so I could finish a movie maybe in the bedroom. I hope they do away with the 3 move rule.

I'm not sure how to respond to this poll. Do we select the drive only if having a problem with it?

My WD750 Essential does not work reliably with the 622.

It's interesting that people are reporting different results with this drive. There was one report from a user who got it working after changing the cable. So, I believe the drive is noise sensitive. Perhaps Dish is missing something with respect to error correction over the USB.

It would be very interesting to see what USB interface chip these drives are running (I'll have to make another attempt to open the case). Perhaps not all are using the same chip.

just returned mybook essential western external drive 750gb to exchange at best buy they unfortunatly are out of stock now because of there big sale they had on them...... Anybody having problems with wdh model?

I'm not sure how to respond to this poll. Do we select the drive only if having a problem with it?

My WD750 Essential does not work reliably with the 622.

It's interesting that people are reporting different results with this drive. There was one report from a user who got it working after changing the cable. So, I believe the drive is noise sensitive. Perhaps Dish is missing something with respect to error correction over the USB.

It would be very interesting to see what USB interface chip these drives are running (I'll have to make another attempt to open the case). Perhaps not all are using the same chip.

Same story here - both the original drive and a replacement from WD failed in a couple of months hooked to the 622.

This is the model number I have WDH1CS7500N. This is the model of the Essential WDH1U7500N. These older 750 GB models have bad reviews at Amazon WDG1C7500N and WDG1U7500N, while the two new ones have good reviews. Time will tell I guess. Hope they worked the bugs out. And I put a piece of electrical tape on the light.

I am glad that I saw this information before making my decision on which external hard drive to buy from ebay. I am seeing some have a warranty of 5 years and are around the $120-130 shipped.

I also see the one touch backup drives which would give me diversity with backup up data on my computers. What would happen if you pressed the button on the one touch drives while it is connected to the satellite receivers?

I have 2 circle "G" drives and 3 newer line "H" drives. All have worked well although all could be faster for transfers or is that a Dish problem? The last 2 have smaller, lower powered supplies. These 2 are perpendicularly oriented to the older ones. Which you would prefer depends on the power strip you have. All are on the same UPS with the 2 recorders and the LED DLP. Have had some outages but not while transferring, thankfully. I mark the drives with different color dots for spreadsheet logging.

I have no reason to think they will not last a long time.
Compared to my first Mac SCSI add-on of 200 MB, I have 18000 times the storage just for TV for a like cost.
BTW, the light goes out if the power or the USB is pulled.
-Ken

I mark the drives with different color dots for spreadsheet logging.

BTW, the light goes out if the power or the USB is pulled.
-Ken
I use dots also but have different brand drives so use WD1, Seagate 1 etc... and the light does go out as mentioned...one drive I used with my Directv dvr and it did the same with it if the eSata cable or power cable were unplugged (lost all programming on it that way once, that's why I am using it with my 622 now)

I already have WD like u guys have for my 722 and works GREAT & happy with it. Like u guys saying I hate have to unplug it because light stays on. But I want to ask a question. Since I bought this for my DVR..do u know which of WD external drive is works good with computer?/??Because Amazon says lots bad reviews when they say they bought it for computers, I heard “passport models” better then these my book ones , so let me know please if u guys have any experience with WD on computers thanks :)

Can the drive be partitioned and work?

Can the hard drive be partitioned and work for dish and also be used for computer backup? just wondering if there was a way to do it?? Has anyone tried?

Thanks
Tim

please help with WD hard drive model wd7500h1u-00

Someone help please. I just purchased a new western digital "my book" essential 750 GB for my Dish network receiver. The receiver is a 722.

when i plug it in, it brings up a message asking me if i'd like to manage the drive "now", i click yes, then it brings up a message telling me to activate it.

i called dish tech suppt, they had me unplug the receiver, unplug the drive, unplug the power, etc, and they couldn't get it to work, so they filled out a "report" of some sort and said that i could try to exchange it for another brand.

I see some on this post saying thier WD 750 G worked perfectly. What did you do to get it to work?

Someone help please. I just purchased a new western digital "my book" essential 750 GB for my Dish network receiver. The receiver is a 722.

when i plug it in, it brings up a message asking me if i'd like to manage the drive "now", i click yes, then it brings up a message telling me to activate it.

i called dish tech suppt, they had me unplug the receiver, unplug the drive, unplug the power, etc, and they couldn't get it to work, so they filled out a "report" of some sort and said that i could try to exchange it for another brand.

I see some on this post saying thier WD 750 G worked perfectly. What did you do to get it to work?

I plugged it in and went to the My Media menu and formatted it no problem. But I had a problem with one of the two today (the one connected to the 612) that probably due to me interrupting the late night update. Hit the DVR button, then the media button and it said no media was connected. Hmmm. Pressed the front power button in for 10 sec and once it rebooted it saw the HD, which I have been moving movies onto, but it then said something like it was not authorized. Backed out of all the menus and did the push in for 10 second boot again. After that reboot the DVR button didn't work at all and gave a 024 error code. A call to Customer Support, which surprisingly was answered after 2 rings, told me to push the front power in and let go immediately and then unplug the receiver for 15 seconds. When I plugged it back it came up fine. So try that. Hit the power button on the front of the receiver to turn it off, unplug for at least 15 seconds. It would probably be best to connect the HDD at this point and then start everything back up. Go to the DVR menu, then My Media and it asks if you want to format the drive, say yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts