External Hard Drive for Xbox one S

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Hi all, with my recent purchase of the Xbox S the 500GB is going fast which I what I thought would happen :) so for external hard drive any brands/Models/specifications to look for.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just find a cheap 1 TB model. Nowadays these things work pretty much the same. If it has good reviews on Amazon you should be fine. Expect to spend around $50.

Reactions: satjay
It's also nice if you can get one that is USB powered too. This isn't really necessary since the bigger drives that have their own power cord work fine too but I already have a rats nest of cables in my entertainment center. Something that only has a short USB cable and no power cord is welcome.

I use this 2TB drive but the 1TB option is about $20 cheaper.

Amazon product ASIN B00D0L5BH8
Edit: I see that there is an updated version of that drive that comes in various colors for about the same price. You could get this white one that should match the Xbox One S pretty well. I just use the rear USB port and put my drive behind the console so you can't even see it in my entertainment center though.

Amazon product ASIN B01LQQHEMS

Reactions: satjay
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that 2.5" external USB 3 drives don't need external power outside of what is in the standard cable. USB 3 provides more power than USB 2, and I have 2 USB 3's in my house and neither of them required power. UNless you get a MASSIVE drive you should be fine, and I've seen drives up to 4 TB that don't need external power.

That must be a newer development. I have an older WB MyBook 2TB 2.5" external USB 3.0 drive and that one definitely has a separate power cable. Maybe the newer models do not.

I have an older WB MyBook 2TB 2.5" external USB 3.0 drive and that one definitely has a separate power cable. Maybe the newer models do not.
Back when USB 3.0 was new, a lot of the external drives spent some time hooked up to USB 2.0 ports that didn't provide enough power to drive them. For those situations, external power was a must.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts