External Hard Drive Help

Rod Williams

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama
Yesterday I upgraded my Hopper to a Hopper/wsling. I had an external drive connected. It was recognized by the new Hopper and I was able to restore some of my programs to my new Hopper. This morning the usb external drive was no longer recognized. I called Dish and we did troubleshooting to no avail At first I was told it didn't work because the drive was not activated and I would have to pay $100 to activate it. I eventually connected it to another Hopper(family room) in my home and it also did not recognize it. I then connected the family room external to my new Hopper and it was recognized. This led me to believe that my external drive died after one day of use with the new Hopper/sling. I have now tried to connect additional usb drives to both my hoppers and they are not recognized.

There is more details to this story, but let's start with this.

Thanks

Rod

I think its a bug in the new software the same thing is happening on the Hopper 3 with U331, external drives that were working now don't, hopefully DISH will get a fix out soon.

I also wanted to follow up on Dish telling me that a $100 activation fee is required when you upgrade your receiver.
That is totally incorrect. I've had an EHD on a 722 and then a Hopper 1 and then a Hopper 3. My EHD worked on all of them without any activation charge.

Reactions: pattykay
Interesting. All I know is my drive was working yesterday with the old software and doesn't today with U331

Both my ex hard drives are recognized by the hopper and I can view shows and transfer shows too. That and I have the latest software for You Tube and the ota fix.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I thought that I would add that my Family Room Hopper w/sling's external drive works on both my Hoppers. It has been connected for over 2 years. The external drive on my new hopper worked fine on the install day. I can;t get either Hopper to recognize another external drive.

I am on the original Hopper with software version U106 from 10/21/16. Right after this update the Hopper stopped seeing the EHD.

Lost all 4 EHD after U331 update 3 days ago on H3. Tried all USB ports. These are Toshiba,WD and Seagate.
Four EHDS can't go bad in one morning. Tried all means to reconnect,change usb ports,reboot,unpluged,reset reload software,etc.
Another Seagate 2tb backup plus,USB powered,previously hopper formatted but never used works! So all 4 currently used EHDS seems to have been marked unauthorised by update. 8TB of movies and shows gone.
Called dish they wanted $40 to re authorize. I refused they have worked since getting dish over 1.5 yrs ago with H2 and H3s. They recommended to reformat-thats going to be my last resort. They have agreed to sent another H3 out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)