External Hard Drive Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They recommended to reformat-thats going to be my last resort.

In my case, on the original Hopper, reformatting will not help since the drive isn't even visible to the Hopper, it's as if nothing is connected to the USB port.

Is there anyone from Dish here that can shed some light on the issue and when should we expect to see a fix?

I did re-format a used PC usb portable 2TB drive yesterday on my Win 10 PC and the H3 saw it right away and formatted it for the H3 and it works fine. Of course we don't want to do that with the 4 blocked drives hoping to save the 8TB of shows.

I'm thinking when they downloaded the U331 on Fri Oct.21st it changed the H3 to appear to the EHDs as a new user account in effect because some of the 4 drives I lost weren't hooked up and had not been used for several weeks-Like plugging them into somebody else's H3-they are tied to the users acct. However one other blank but previously H3 formatted portable 2tb EHD which was not plugged in for months come right up in the DVR sources with the normal "USB external connected" icons and works just fine. So the 4 drives with content recorded on them are blocked out.

I'm still waiting for that email from DISH engineering dept for a fix to this.

Reactions: jessshaun
I have two 2TB MyBooks. One is working but the other is not although sometimes it is recognized. Once it comes up, it will play the entire show or movie so I am sure that the drive is ok. The one that does not work is about a year or so older than the other one.

Talked with Dish tech support to make sure they add my issue to the list hoping that the more complaints they get the faster the fix will come. She told me that they are aware of the issue and working on a fix but there is currently no ETA.

As the original poster, i just wanted to update. My new HWS only sees the external from my older HWS. Neither Hopper can see any other connected drives. I have tried 3 different ones now(formatted them all). I have been following other related posts in the forum and it does seem like I am not alone.
I wonder if it would do any good to contact Dish again?

I recently was out on vacation so I moved new season starts and new series starts to the EHD before I had a chance to watch them. Now I am back, my HD is full of new episodes which I cannot watch since I didn't watch the previous ones. Dish, if you cannot fix this quickly, you should roll back your last firmware update and restore EHD functionality. It's 11 days now since you broke the functionality.

Reactions: peggy97850
this is a huge problem they need to roll back the firmware . i am running out of space on my hopper hard drive and i can't access any of the shows and movies. i been with them since 2004 and this is a deal breaker if they can't fix it soon.they also need to do something about the frozen guide issue.

Sure does look like they dont care. I'm still waiting for weeks no-no return email. We'll call you don't call us.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Chat with Dish on Twitter:

Me: since 10/21 w/software U106 my Hopper can no longer see the EHD. Was told known problem. When should I expect fix?

@dish_answers: This is a known issue that has been sent over to Echostar. Unfortunately, there is not an ETA for this as of yet

Me: Why not roll back the firmware until a fix is available? Drives are filling up quickly with nowhere to move programs. This really inconveniences your customers.

@dish_answers: I will pass along your feedback. I understand and we are hoping for a quick resolution.

Bottom line, who knows when they'ff fix it and don't expect a firmware rollback any time soon.

dish doesnt care anymore and with the frozen guide issue and the external hard drive issue. if either of these arnt fixed by febuary when my contract is up im gone. its ashame i loved thier service now its like if its not happening to 100 percent of the people your basically making the issue up.

Yes Dish has encouraged us to look at Streaming Services which store the shows and software on their servers. This way we don't have to mess with expensive hard drives that Dish can wipe out years of recordings on in one flash of an update like U331 at anytime they please. Then deny, ignore and do nothing to correct their mistake. Or constantly rebooting a flaky Hopper and returning to Dish for another flaky one. My new streaming box had been working great thru all this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
I received a twitter DM from Dish claiming that the estimated fix date for the EHD issue is 1/30/17. Still a long way to go.

I forced my H3 to upgrade to version 336 and now my EHD is operational again. It took Dish almost 3 months to fix it.

Hi there, I am not a dish customer anymore but I had an external hard drive attached to a VIP 722K unit. I bought a VIP 722 unit connected up the hard drive and it says the hard drive is used by another machine. Do I have to have a VIP 722K unit for it to work or is it because I do not have an account with DISH? Is there a way around not being a customer to get the external hard drive working? I figured the 722 would work but maybe it has to be 722K? Thoughts?

The external hard drive will only work on the original account. When you cancelled that account you effectively lost anything that was on that EHD. There is no way to recover. It's time to use that HD for something else.

Since the EHD is tied to your account, my guess is that it probably won't work w/o an active account, or at least a receiver that was tied to that same account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts