External Hard Drive Question

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Hi guys just want to make sure I am on the right page when it comes to external hard drives. I was thinking of making the investment in one. Just want to make sure I have the right idea I would be looking to move "movies" on to the hard drive to keep some separate from the day to day recording, kind of like a movie vault.

My question is if I move the movies on to the external hard drive that would then empty out my dvr folder, correct? I am guessing it would but just want to make sure. I would not be getting the external hard drive because I think I would be running out of DVR space anytime soon but to separate movies into a different area. I see Best buy has a 1TB for 109 and a 500GB for 89

Thanks

Yes. If you transfer movies to the EHD it takes them out of your DVR folder. You can either play them straight from the EHD if you leave it connected or you can always transfer back to the DVR if you want to later. If you have multiple hoppers you can move the EHD between them too.

Edit: Just make sure it has an external power source and I think the limit was 2TB on the old DVRs. I'm not sure about the hopper.

The EHD is the best innovation available to folks that like to record lots of stuff. I would be lost without my 1.5TB EHD. Not only for movies (like a free weekend of HBO etc.) but entire seasons of TV shows that can be watched one right after another when you have time ( I have "Being Human", "Glee", "Dr. Who", The Good Wife", "House", Walking Dead", "The River" plus several more). Also good for nature shows like "Visions", Wild Russia, Wild Pacific etc, that you can just keep to re watch. I also have a dozen concerts that we love to watch when we have company over. Maybe keep a sporting event like The Super Bowl or the Indy 500. Everybody should have a EHD. You can get the Western Digital 1.5 Element on sale for as little as $89. All you need is a USB cable to connect the EHD to your DVR and your ready to rock and roll. There is no fee from Dish. It's seamless and simple. Just do it ya'll.

The way Dish implemented EHDs is great. AFAIK no one does it as well. It makes for sticky customers. It became the deciding factor for us to stay with Dish over saving some money and moving to FiOS.

Good info I will check out what Best Buy has there is a one time fee correct?

satjay said:
Good info I will check out what Best Buy has there is a one time fee correct?

Only time there would be a connect fee for hooking up a EHD would be if you had a 211. Any other HD DVR receiver that you would be hooking up a EHD to has no fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts