External hard drive question

Templeton0543

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Central California
I tried to search for the answer, thought I had read part of the info I am looking for somewhere on here.
My son picked up a 4tb Seagate EHD pretty cheap at Costco awhile back But I think I read somewhere that the max allowed on Dish DVRs is 2tb, is this so? And if so could I hook it up anyway and would it only recognize 2 out of the 4tb available?

The official answer is, it is unsupported. Some people have had success stories with 3TB, but when I was taking calls, everyone of them wouldn't work, after doing everything we could think of. 2TB is the max.

I have a 500gb ext hard drive with over 150 movies on it. I haven't watched a movie since the Fall premires started in Sept and now USA net is bringing back White Collar and Covert Affairs. Oh my! Too much tv to watch.

Yeah, a 4tb drive would hold a lot of tv! I wouldn't record a lot of movies, mostly 1 to 1.5 hour tv shows. Last time I was at Costco they had 1 and 2tb drives, he came home with a 4.

The limit is pretty much hard and fast unless you figure out how to brain a larger drive into thinking it is a smaller drive.

2TB drives are still a better value.

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)