External Hard Drive?

At what point do they become "on the same account"?

I currently have a single account with a "leased Hopper 3" in my motorhome. It is not an outdoor account, so I cannot change my service address through the APP. I no longer own the house where this equipment was originally installed.

We are purchasing a house (in which I would like to have dish service with a hopper 3.
I want an "outdoor" account. (they refuse to change my existing account to "outdoor") ( So I need to open a new account)
I want 2 Hopper3's, (one in the house, one in the motorhome) they tell me to have 2 on the same account, they cannot both be leased (so I need to buy a hopper3)
When I close my existing account, they want my current leased hopper3 back (and 4 years worth of recordings with it!)

So, I come up with this convoluted plan...
I buy a Hopper3, and add it to my existing account.
I copy my recordings to the new owned hopper3.
I close my existing account, send back the leased hopper 3 (my recordings are safe on the hopper3 I own.)
I open a new outdoor account at the address of the new house, install a new leased hopper 3 and joeys, and ADD MY OWNED HOPPER 3 TO THIS NEW ACCOUNT.

Do I still have my recordings?

What about recordings on an "owned" hopper3?
Yes, remember the recordings are tied to an account not the receiver, owned or not.

Back in the day of VIP DVR's, you could do that. The recordings on the internal disk were (mostly) not encrypted, and you could shut it down and start it up again on a different account and all those recordings would still be there. Is this now changed for the Hopper?

Why close the account and open a new account? Why not just go into "MyDish" and change your billing address?

Don't make such a big deal about having an Outdoors account. I have an Outdoors account and I can't change my locals on the app. It's pretty easy to change locals using the chat feature.

Back in the day of VIP DVR's, you could do that. The recordings on the internal disk were (mostly) not encrypted, and you could shut it down and start it up again on a different account and all those recordings would still be there. Is this now changed for the Hopper?
The recordings on the Hopper itself may still be there between accounts. The discussion, I think, is about the EHD.

The recordings on the Hopper itself may still be there between accounts. The discussion, I think, is about the EHD.

Indeed, that's in the thread title. But Jim's most recent convoluted plan is this.
So, I come up with this convoluted plan...
I buy a Hopper3, and add it to my existing account.
I copy my recordings to the new owned hopper3.
I close my existing account, send back the leased hopper 3 (my recordings are safe on the hopper3 I own.)
I open a new outdoor account at the address of the new house, install a new leased hopper 3 and joeys, and ADD MY OWNED HOPPER 3 TO THIS NEW ACCOUNT.

I take that to mean on the internal drive. Jim will have to come back and clarify. I would also like to see the answer to rvvaquero's comment above.

I'm mostly hoping my problems will go away if I start over.

In addition, my monthly bill doubled after my 2 years as a new customer ran out.

Hey Jims Motorhome, if you have billing concerns I suggest reaching out to our Chat team. You can reach out to them by clicking this link: Request Rejected, they'd be happy to help! -Rosita L.

I'm mostly hoping my problems will go away if I start over.

In addition, my monthly bill doubled after my 2 years as a new customer ran out.

The equipment is going to work the same. A hopper on the eastern arc is designed to work with both 61.5 and 72 at the same time.

You can't just close one account and open another one. I believe you have to wait at least 60 days and then I don't know if you get all the new customer specials or not.

If your bill went up that much you should contact them and see what they can do for you. If you agree to a new two year contract you should be able to get the new customer pricing.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yes, remember the recordings are tied to an account not the receiver, owned or not.
Has something changed since your 2019 answer? A CSR just told me if I cancel my Dish account , I can play the EHDs I have on my owned Hopper3. I can save close to $100 per month by going to Hulu services. However, I have 4 EHDs with programs going back many years that I would prefer not to lose.

Has something changed since your 2019 answer? A CSR just told me if I cancel my Dish account , I can play the EHDs I have on my owned Hopper3. I can save close to $100 per month by going to Hulu services. However, I have 4 EHDs with programs going back many years that I would prefer not to lose.

I am not sure but I suspect that your Hopper3 will stop working after your account is closed for a certain time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
It may work for a while but I'm not sure for how long before it kills itself. I' ll see if can can get MikeD to pop in and answer the question. I know he has a decommishioned Hopper that he uses as an OTA receiver.

It may work for a while but I'm not sure for how long before it kills itself. I' ll see if can can get MikeD to pop in and answer the question. I know he has a decommishioned Hopper that he uses as an OTA receiver.
I had a private conversation with MikeD. He is able to watch his recorded programming on his EHD on his decommisioned Hopper. He is also able to record OTA. He has been decommisioned for several years.