External harddrive / hopper

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
If I have the hopper and hook up an external hard drive can I just leave the external hard drive hooked up to the hopper at all times and be able to access what I have on the hopper and what I have on the external harddrive ? Or once I plug in external hard drive I can only access it's content and not the hoppers content ?

Do you think any EHD will work? As far as size. Like a 1tb, 2tb, 3tb, 4tb?

Cause I noticed on direct tv's website they have a list of recommended compatible hard drives and they were all 500g or 1tb as if anything over a 1tb wouldn't work don't know if dishe is that way too ?

Happen to have the model number of your 3tb seagate external hard drive?

Man, I'm gonna be annoyed if 3TB works. I got multiple confirmations from Dish that 2TB is the max since I didn't want to waste my time buying something that I couldn't fully utilize. But I would have bought a 4TB if I knew it would work. I just don't have any other use for it if it doesn't.

My 2TB MyBook Essential showed around 1858 (give or take; I don't remember exactly) so a 3TB should show around 2780-2790 freshly formatted.

kpip99, what did the Freespace: field show on the external device when you first formatted it?

Edit: FWIW, my 2tb drive is split into multiple partitions. Volume 21 and 22 are 500 gig EXT3 partitions with the remainder raw/unpartitioned. I assume it creates and formats the first two partitions during the initial setup and the rest as it's needed. It's possible that, since it creates partitions in such "small" chunks, it may not be able to create enough partitions to utilize 3 and 4tb drives.

Last edited:
I don't have dish yet but am planning on getting it and will get an external harddrive . Just getting all the info I need before switching to dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts