External HD, no size increase shown

xan99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Central Texas
Hooked up 2tb WD elements external USB HD to my 722. It formatted it, but I'm not seeing a size increase to my recording capacity to my DVR, what am I missing? Thanks.

Hooked up 2tb WD elements external USB HD to my 722. It formatted it, but I'm not seeing a size increase to my recording capacity to my DVR, what am I missing? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the "Capacity" displayed will always remain at the (for a 722) 50 hours of HiDef. The external hard drive only allows one to archive recordings off the internal drive to increase the number of stored shows. It is a little odd that one can watch a recording directly from the external drive but not record directly to the external drive, but I figure there is a reasonably good technical explanation for it.

Miner

Will 'archive to external' show up as an option to my recorded program, or is it something that happens when my internal fills up? I'm going through my recorded programs now and don't see any new option to transfer/archive, e.g those long HD hogging football games that are filling up my drive. Thank you.

There is nothing automatic about sending material to the EHD. You have to do that manually.

Press your DVR button, Press My Media (5), My Media (2), Send to Device (2). Then just check whatever you want to archive and click Archive. That's all there is to it.

Bobby said:
There is nothing automatic about sending material to the EHD. You have to do that manually.

Press your DVR button, Press My Media (5), My Media (2), Send to Device (2). Then just check whatever you want to archive and click Archive. That's all there is to it.

Found it, thanks. Successfully archived a program.

Here's what it says in my equipment info when I login to dish.

External Drive Enabled..... No

don't concern yourself about that, if you can see the EHD on your DVR, you're in like flynn....

When Dish charged you $40 to activate the HD on 722s they would populate that, now that it is free, it doesn't get populated.

don't concern yourself about that, if you can see the EHD on your DVR, you're in like flynn....

When Dish charged you $40 to activate the HD on 722s they would populate that, now that it is free, it doesn't get populated.

We still charge the $40 activation only for the compatible non DVR receivers like the 211/211k. If you have a ViP622/722/722k then you don't have to worry about the message that you see on our online page that says "External Drive Enabled..... No"

They moved the button after DVR to #6 My Media. #5 is now Midnight Lounge=adult programming. This means #6 is hidden from the first pass of DVR--this shifts if your come back to it. Extra ads added. Always use DVR+DVR to get to you stored list of internal recordings.
-Ken

Yup. Some folks around here already have L677, though no release notes are out yet and there is no mention of this on the retailer website. L720 is also there to tease us, but I know of no one who has that yet.

ViP722 L677 [Adaptive Streaming, 3D FVOD, CSC STB Control, Opt in Free Preview Trigger,Locks password pop-ups - add URL text, Blockbuster @ Home branding, Dish On Demand updates/fixes, Misc.]

Huh. Does that mean 3D is coming to the rest of us, and not just 922 customers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts