External HD results: Drives Working Properly

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
For the sake of those yet to purchase an external drive/and or still on the fence . An attempt to create an easy access, informal list.

PLEASE REPORT ONLY DRIVES THAT ARE WORKING PROPERLY FOR YOU.

Please include Brand, Model #, GB size and Cache size, and make and model of external enclosure if applicable.

My intention for this thread is reporting only, please no discussions unless pertinent. Thanks!!!

Mine:
Western Digital WD5000AAKS internal drive, 500GB, 16MB, SATA

Eagle Consus W-Series ET-CSWSIU2-BK 3.5" USB2.0 to IDE + SATA Aluminum External Enclosure

Have yoy guys that are stating no problems with the SeaGate FreeAgents been leaving the drive powered on at all times and tried watching and transferring content on more than one day?

Yes! There are already two other threads on this. You need to turn off the sleep timer in the Seagates firmware.

Yes! There are already two other threads on this. You need to turn off the sleep timer in the Seagates firmware.

Yes, I'm aware of that but my guess is this thread is looking for out-of-the-box drives that work. And the Seagates require this tweak or power cycle. So I was looking for more info from the above poster who said it worked because I don't think I've seen a post yet saying a FreeAgent works 100% of the time without the tweak. Has he really tried it enough to verify? Has he modified the sleep setting?

Yes, I'm aware of that but my guess is this thread is looking for out-of-the-box drives that work.

If only out-of-the-box drives are expected to be reported here, then bare oem drives and separate enclosures would not count, since they require assembly and configuration?

If only out-of-the-box drives are expected to be reported here, then bare oem drives and separate enclosures would not count, since they require assembly and configuration?
Read first post in thread.

OP opened the thread with a bare drive + separate enclosure ... so I'm guessing it's open to whatever configurations work.

If you have an external that WORKS, but that required a little tweak, state what that tweak was. "--this-- drive works, but you have to --do this--"
As opposed to "--this-- drive works as expected. I just plugged it into the receiver and it worked."

Seagate 35.3 320GB AV drive, Startech.com InfoSafe 3.5 inch aluminum USB 2.0 enclosure

Runs 24/7 - no problems:

1. Transferring multiple shows to it at one time
2. Restoring shows to DVR
3. Deleting shows from it
4. Watching DVR while transferring shows
5. Watching live while transferring shows
6. Watching shows directly from external drive
7. Transferring PPV events to and from, watching on it

Enclosure feels slightly warmer than body temp, laying flat on hard surface, 1/4" thick rubber feet on lower surface.

USB cable plugged into rear port.

My Seagate ST3750640CB-RK 750gb seems to be working fine. It is the seagate model prior to these Free Agents.

so far so good. transfered 102GB. took about 8-9 hours yesterday. checked seagate this morning before turning on 622... blue light was on, but until was cool, and was not spinning. turned on 622. tried to access ext HD, and got 'call 888# to activate.' cancelled out of that, and my HD recordings displayed. i selected and viewed a few, and all appears well. i'm fine with this for now, especially since it appears my HD does spin down. cancelling out of the 'activate' is no big deal to wake up the HD to me.

sure would be nice if E* gives us the option to more easily access these recordings...like a button on the My Recording screen. add the button to the 'Sort', 'Group', etc list.

would also be great if we could record directly to the HD. i'm sure they could do this and still maintain security/DRM.

would also be great if the original channel and recorded date info displayed. we seem to lose this info on the HD.

lastly, some seem to think that the recordings display on the HD list in the order they are transferred, my observation is that they display in same order as they do on the 622. wasnt apparent at first, but by the time i had transferred 16 programs in random order, the list of programs on the HD was in the same order as had been on the 622.

i should mention that i did not modify any sleep/spin down settings (not even sure how to).

Fantom Titanium II 500gb 16mb cache 7200rpm USB2.0 (basically an enclosure company that buys the drive for you using their wholesale purchasing power and installs it in their enclosure. Generally high ratings on Newegg.)

Metal enclosure, physical power switch, no fan.

I use the physical power switch to turn it on when needed and off when not needed, since I anticipate having the drive running about 1% of the time.

No problems so far, other than that the 622 seems pushed to the limit of its processing power when transferring and also doing a couple of recordings and playing back.