External HDD and second receiver

giffnyc

Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Just got my second receiver up and running - thank you to those who helped me sort out wiring.

I had an existing 622, with external HDD enabled.
I added a 211K. When I called to authorize the box, I also asked to have the external HDD service turned on for $40 for this receiver as well.

I took my 622's EHDD and tried plugging it into the now-authorized 211K. It asked if I wanted to format the disk. NO - I thought I could swap HDDs between receivers on the same account, but certainly did not want to erase my drive. So I said, no, and disconnected it. Plugged a new hard drive into the 211K and it formatted and is running fine.

I take the 622's EHDD back to its place, plug it in and get the "Disk must be formatted" message. What? My EHDD's programs are gone?

Is this a correctable authorization error? When the 211K was authorized, was the 622 reconfigured in such a way as to make my drive unusable? Shouldn't both receivers, being on the same account, share the same encryption stuff?

Rats... Any help appreciated.

An EHD may be shared between a 612, 622, and 722 (922???). The 211 uses a different, incompatible, format. :(

If just plugging it in to a different system toasts it, somethings seriously wrong.

Agree this is highly confusing. No Dish employee or website should EVER refer to the 211's DVR Conversion disk as an "EHD". It is a completely different animal. Maybe the DVR EHD should be referred to as an "EAD" for External Archive Disk, and the 211 disk as the "ECD" for External Conversion Disk. "EHD" is insufficiently specific.

That said, if you told the 211 NOT to format your disk, it should not have been modified and you should still be able to read it on your 622. "Should, should, should..." Good luck.

smjbh5 said:
Thought they did away with the $40 fee

Not for the 211k. I guess there is no charge to add external storage. However there is a charge to turn a 211K into a dvr. @TheKrell made a good point about using correct terminology when refering to the HD attached to a received.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)