external hdd enabled for both dish and pc

jonjones

Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
is it possible to use an external drive for both storage of dish programming and storage of media from my computer?

i formated the drive via dish, but when i went to put mp3's from my computer it is not found, actually it says it is at location 0.

is it possible to use an external drive for both storage of dish programming and storage of media from my computer?

i formated the drive via dish, but when i went to put mp3's from my computer it is not found, actually it says it is at location 0.

No. Once attached to receiver, it is formatted to Linux. That's why your PC won't see it.

ok, so now i have a question... If I did have a linux system, could i then move the items off of the HD and save them on other HD's and move them back if and when i want to watch them?

ok, so now i have a question... If I did have a linux system, could i then move the items off of the HD and save them on other HD's and move them back if and when i want to watch them?

Nobone reported - you'll be the pioner !
Please, don't hesitate post here your results.

[My vision - it's must works.]

Is it possible to partition it prior to activating for the Dish receiver? Then have one partition for the Dish and one for the PC?

No.
DVR will erase partitions. But after that, you could using Linux or Windows with R/W drivers for EXT3 support to create your own directories and store your files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)