Program Guide For Voom Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vicw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Southern Pines, NC
Since at least yesterday, it appears that some, if not all of the programs listed on the Dish On Screen Guide are totally out of whack with the actual programming - not just shifted an hour or three, but totally different. That makes it impossible to set up for recordings, and to know what is coming up for direct viewing.

I've just been with Dish about about a month - is this an unusual occurence for VOOM vs. DISH, or are the listings generally unreliable?

I noticed that too last evening (on World, IIRC). I have seen it before in the almost 2 years I've had voom HD, but rarely...

Voom usually reliable. There is obviously a mis-step between Voom and Tribune Media services, who compiles the guide. Not a Dish Problem.

Thanks for the helpful responses. It's encouraging to know that the Voom listings are usually reliable. I agree that it isn't a Dish problem. I had noticed the same issue on the ZAP2IT listings for Voom, as well.

I am beginning to wonder if this is more than just a program guide or listing issue.

MonstersHD shows the same listings on their site as the program guide and they have been showing the same 2 movies for the last 14 hours or so.

I also noticed that FilmFest is showing the same programming over and over, not just the normal rotation repeats.

None of the VOOM channels seem to have the programming to match the guide or listings data.

I wonder if there is trouble behind the scenes? Hope not! :eek:

FWIW, I sent an email to Voom this morning, inquiring about the problem, or to let them know about it, just in case they didn't realize it is happening. So far, no response.

I must say I am getting a bit suspicious.
The comment board over at the MonstersHD website has disabled instant posting and it looks like the posts are being edited.
There is absoultely no comment about the same 2 movies showing since last night.

Filmfest has shown that Sherlock Holmes program at least 3 times in the last 12 hours that I know of.

I will say that the VOOM channels have the worst repetition I have ever witnessed in the broadcast industry, (you can pretty much use the same schedule from month to month) but I would still not want to lose them.

Something strange is going on! :confused:

Without having any hard evidence to support my feelings, I really don't see how Voom has any viability, boxed in, I believe, to the limited E* HD customer base.

Of all of the Voom offerings, I like Filmfest, and have some mild interest in Equator, but that is about it for me. HDNET Movie channel carries a similar mix of movies, and Discovery HD and NG HD have the nature area covered pretty well. I know there are loyal fan bases for each of their channels, but I don't know how large they are - I suspect not very.

If Voom were to cease to exist, there would be some immediately available bandwidth for E* to put up some of the more widely recognized branded National channels to compete with D*.

Last edited:
Without having any hard evidence to support my feelings, I really don't see how Voom has any viability, boxed in, I believe, to the limited E* HD customer base.

If Voom were to cease to exist, there would be some immediately available bandwidt for E* to put up some of the more widely recognized branded National channels to compete with D*.

You may be correct. That could be what is happening. It is possible they could be scaling back to shut it down and waiting to see how many people complain. From the looks of things, not too many people are noticing.

I loved MonstersHD for the classic stuff when I first got DISH HD, but I have seen everything they have to offer except for one new movie maybe every 3 or 4 months. Yeah, that is about all the new programming they ever do on the VOOM channels.

If you have subscribed to VOOM for a few months, you have seen it all. :(

Not a Dish Problem.

Well it certainly isn't my problem .... and I'm guessing that you are not going to take responsibility ... so its got to be someones problem surely.

I pay Dish a fee for the service .. part of that service is to provide me with an accurate guide ... they aint doing that.

Dish should be actively seeking a solution on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of people who pay them for the service ... I assume that they pay tribune media a fee to provide the information .. if that information is wrong - then dish needs to be shaking a few branches to find out who is at fault and what can be done to put things right.... so in a way - yeah - it is Dish's problem.

Well it certainly isn't my problem .... and I'm guessing that you are not going to take responsibility ... so its got to be someones problem surely.

I pay Dish a fee for the service .. part of that service is to provide me with an accurate guide ... they aint doing that.

Dish should be actively seeking a solution on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of people who pay them for the service ... I assume that they pay tribune media a fee to provide the information .. if that information is wrong - then dish needs to be shaking a few branches to find out who is at fault and what can be done to put things right.... so in a way - yeah - it is Dish's problem.

Excellent points - I agree with you.

I'm thinking it's pretty safe to say that the problem originates with Voom, since they have been just showing a couple of movies over and over again on Filmfest since yesterday.

Yes, and it is not just FilmFest, but the other VOOM movie channels as well. The same couple of movies for nearly the last 24 hours.

It's great for us to pay $20 per month for HD and get the same content back to back for who knows how long... NOT! :mad:

As I mentioned earlier, it is obvious that the MonstersHD website is covering up the problem. Until yesterday, all the posts and questions in the comment section were instantaneous. They are no longer allowing that and my question about this problem never showed up on the site.

People can jump all over me if they want, but I am seriously considering going back to D* because of the big "secrecy" that E* seems to have about everything that happens. I just don't feel like I am a valued customer when I have to go to the internet (never the official site or customer service) to get an answer on anything going on.

Has anyone called in to customer support to ask why the guide is FUBAR yet?
If not, I will.

Looks like Monsters HD changed their online schedule!!!!! Ive been watching this channel since 05 and NEVER seen this kind of repetition. What the hell is going on???? Also noticed they PULLED a lot of content from 11/15 onward!!! No Friday, the 13th, Nightmare on Elm street, Children of the Corn, Silver Bullet, Etc. I hope this is just some tech error, but I suspect something deeper.

http://www.monstershd.com/content/Adobe/monstershd_schedule.pdf

Last edited:
It is pretty obvious from the new scheduling that this is a cost cutting move.
If you don't broadcast as many movies, you don't have to pay as much in rights.

If you look at the different VOOM movie oriented channels during a 24 hour period, you will see this is happening to all of them - Filmfest, Monsters, World Cinema and Kung Fu.

It is not just a matter of the provider company uploading the wrong guide data, but the powers that be have decided to severely limit the content shown on VOOM. I am sure the guide data was prepared in advance and this decision to change programming just happened a couple of days ago.

I smell trouble somewhere and it appears to be financial.

E* can't really brag that they have the exclusive VOOM package now because it will not be worth watching.

It is pretty obvious from the new scheduling that this is a cost cutting move.
If you don't broadcast as many movies, you don't have to pay as much in rights.

If you look at the different VOOM movie oriented channels during a 24 hour period, you will see this is happening to all of them - Filmfest, Monsters, World Cinema and Kung Fu.

It is not just a matter of the provider company uploading the wrong guide data, but the powers that be have decided to severely limit the content shown on VOOM. I am sure the guide data was prepared in advance and this decision to change programming just happened a couple of days ago.

I smell trouble somewhere and it appears to be financial.

E* can't really brag that they have the exclusive VOOM package now because it will not be worth watching.

Agreed! To be honest Monsters HD is the ONLY reason why I left Comcast. If E* loses that channel regardless of who's fault it is I'm probably gone when my commitment is up.

ok here is the chat:
phillip tuck: hey victor!
(04)Victor Y: Thank you for choosing Dish Network Chat Support. Please give me a moment while I review your technical Issue.
phillip tuck: yeah i dont think its my receiver as the programming, the voom channels have been repeating the same things the past few days, any info as to why?
phillip tuck: mostly the same movies over and over, really bad stuff too :(
(04)Victor Y: Thank you for your patience.
(04)Victor Y: Please give me two minutes while I pull up your account and help you with this.
phillip tuck: like something in a constant loop or something...thanks! :)
phillip tuck: i tell you the voom is the only reason why i dont swithc to direc tv for the hd, if my voom goes under or something, no matter the disconnet fee, im switching...
(04)Victor Y: I am sorry for delay.
(04)Victor Y: Are you referring to the information on guide or the movies are repeating on HD channels?
phillip tuck: information guide and the repeating movies, something weird is going on
(04)Victor Y: Step 1: Press and hold the Power button on the front panel of the receiver for five seconds.
Step 2: Wait for the receiver to reset and power on by itself.

phillip tuck: guide been wrong for a little while, but the movies, they are showing 2 movies a day, not really worth my 20.00 for hd
phillip tuck: ok will do
(04)Victor Y: Once you done with that let me know the result.
phillip tuck: ok starting back up now
(04)Victor Y: Ok.
phillip tuck: ok getiing signal back...
phillip tuck: 2 of 5...
phillip tuck: ok signal back up, program guide the same :( some weird old hammer film
(04)Victor Y: We received many complaints from our customers and have reported this to our Engineering department. They are actively working on it to fix it.
phillip tuck: ok no problem, you havent heard anything about voom going under or anything have you?
(04)Victor Y: No.
phillip tuck: ok well i guess there isnt anything else :) thanks for your help!
spacer.gif

Phillip - you are an incredibly tolerant and patient person.

I have been travelling all day, or I would have called Dish earlier to complain about the looping pairs of movies, totally deviating from the published schedules for at least the last two days, but after reading your chat with them, I may just wait, and let it sort itself out.

I don't have the patience to go through all of that misdirected nonsense, and be as polite about it, as you were. I would have been chewing nails by the end of the exchange. I've got to believe this Voom programming mess will explode, or get fixed in the next couple of days.

ok here is the chat:
phillip tuck: hey victor!
(04)Victor Y: Thank you for choosing Dish Network Chat Support. Please give me a moment while I review your technical Issue.
phillip tuck: yeah i dont think its my receiver as the programming, the voom channels have been repeating the same things the past few days, any info as to why?
phillip tuck: mostly the same movies over and over, really bad stuff too :(
(04)Victor Y: Thank you for your patience.
(04)Victor Y: Please give me two minutes while I pull up your account and help you with this.
phillip tuck: like something in a constant loop or something...thanks! :)
phillip tuck: i tell you the voom is the only reason why i dont swithc to direc tv for the hd, if my voom goes under or something, no matter the disconnet fee, im switching...
(04)Victor Y: I am sorry for delay.
(04)Victor Y: Are you referring to the information on guide or the movies are repeating on HD channels?
phillip tuck: information guide and the repeating movies, something weird is going on
(04)Victor Y: Step 1: Press and hold the Power button on the front panel of the receiver for five seconds.
Step 2: Wait for the receiver to reset and power on by itself.

phillip tuck: guide been wrong for a little while, but the movies, they are showing 2 movies a day, not really worth my 20.00 for hd
phillip tuck: ok will do
(04)Victor Y: Once you done with that let me know the result.
phillip tuck: ok starting back up now
phillip tuck: ok getiing signal back...
phillip tuck: 2 of 5...
phillip tuck: ok signal back up, program guide the same :( some weird old hammer film
(04)Victor Y: We received many complaints from our customers and have reported this to our Engineering department. They are actively working on it to fix it.
phillip tuck: ok no problem, you havent heard anything about voom going under or anything have you?
(04)Victor Y: No.
phillip tuck: ok well i guess there isnt anything else :) thanks for your help!
spacer.gif

Typical CSR stuff. My concern is the fact the Monsters HD PHYSICALLY changed the PDF schedule available on their site. If was just a major technical glitch which at this point I'm sure it's not then that schedule wouldn't have changed.

Are ALL the Voom channels repeating every 2-4 hours? I don't watch any others than Monsters so I wouldn't know for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)