External HDD feature for ViP622 and ViP722: coming 8/15: $39.99

You're absolutly right hall. It seems to me like the 500GB drives are about the best bargain right now.

I'm sure if Dish said they were going to charge $2 for the upgrade, people here would have screamed just as they do at the $39 one time price.

I side with the smaller group here. I am a serious HD DVR user. I would like to Thank E* / Dish Network for making this technology available to us for a FAIR price. It is a major feature addition on a receiver that really works well. Maybe D* and C* gives it away but I also understand their receivers have lots of issues anyway.

I would also like to thank E* for not making this feature a monthly fee, that it is a one time lifetime charge. I was concerned that if it is a monthly charge, it may not be worth it. Now I don't need to worry about that.

Basically, I have no complaints about the planned technology. I'll gladly pay the $39 one time price for this upgrade feature as long as it works as stated.

For those who complain and think Dish is being greedy. Either pay their asking price or be without. If you don't like it, go to cable or D* and play with their free version. Me,... I'll take the 32+ HD channels and the unlimited DVR storage for a one time price of $40. Thank you Dish Network. And Dan, thanks for listening to me at CES as this thing is coming about the way we discussed! :)

Well, thanks for making this happen for all of us Don. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone would have screamed if it were $20 or less. Heck, for $2 a month, that's only $24 a year! Not sure how you determine what a FAIR price is or isn't, but for most of us, I believe, $40 seems a little steep. (even if it works as stated) :eek:
Why doesn't that monthly fee per box I (and you) pay cover this and any other improvement? That total from all of us easily covers any R&D costs.

Last edited:
$39.99 is the cost of 2 HD DVD's that have been out awhile, or about $6 less than a new release Blu-Ray or HD DVD... keep it in perspective, you can archive these, Dish gets the one time fee and it prevents you from having to buy one of these disc's to see the movie... a win / win situation... imho... ( although I will continue to buy HD DVD's)

Are you aware that Newegg routinely deletes negative reviews ?
I have heard that ... but there are plenty of negative reviews on the site... I think they no longer police it very closely, because I occasionally see reviews that are clearly about a different product.

In fact, I saw a negative review today about a USB external HD where the reviewer said "I don't own this drive, but I think it sucks that it doesn't have eSata or a fan".

Perhaps they changed their policy about deleting negative reviews...

John, you've mentioned in several previous threads that, I'm paraphrasing to the best of my understanding, RAID 5 would be an ideal solution for archiving as it would protect against HDD failures.

It protects against any single drive failing. Multiple drive failures mean you are SOL :(

Can anyone describe a possible solution that provides RAID 5 via USB? I think one of the new Buffalo TB HDD's might be one possibilty. Is there another or a "home brew" that might make this possible, while still being compatable w/our 622's?

Buffalo's DriveStation Quattro has up to 2TB (1.5 usable in RAID5) of storage and can be connected via USB or eSata (for those with cable boxes).

For computer to computer storage, I'm using Lime Technology's UnRaid -- it's a great balance between cost and performance.

Cheers,

RAID 6 will handle that!

Sure, if you value the data sufficiently you can go the RAID 6 route.

That's really the heart of the matter... how valuable is the data you're storing and how willing are you to spend the increased $$$ in spindles and controller to protect it. There's no "right" vs "wrong" here, it's a question of how many $$$ for how much storage protection.

I'm further assuming there's no backup option like LTO3 or something similar available.

Cheers,

Buffalo's DriveStation Quattro has up to 2TB (1.5 usable in RAID5) of storage and can be connected via USB or eSata (for those with cable boxes).

For computer to computer storage, I'm using Lime Technology's UnRaid -- it's a great balance between cost and performance.

Cheers,

The one caveat to the Quattro is that Dish has stated that they will support drives up to 750GB. Although the 1TB would have 750GB in RAID5 available. It will be interesting to see if the VIP will see a stacked drive enclosure like the Quattro at all.

The one caveat to the Quattro is that Dish has stated that they will support drives up to 750GB. Although the 1TB would have 750GB in RAID5 available. It will be interesting to see if the VIP will see a stacked drive enclosure like the Quattro at all.

Remember, you control what the system sees. So it could see 2x 750GB drives in RAID-5s. You don't have to have things all presented as one logical disk :D

Further, the OS doesn't see anything but what the configuration manager inside the Drive Station instructs it, so if you have it as 2x 750GBs that what will be seen.

Also, Dish has said that they would be removing the 750GB limitation down the road.

Cheers,

I personally am not all that concerned about the one time $39 fee. I am concerned about what E* will be doing with Mpeg-4 picture quality and the fact that they skipped my Indianapolis HD locals after announcing them. I can't get them OTA and D* has them. If it weren't for those issues I would be dancing while writing E* the check.

The receiver really doesn't know anything about the storage device that's behind the USB interface.

I wonder if you could hook up an external HDDVD burner instead of a HDD. I realize that they don't have the capacity and they would be DISH-encrypted (couldn't play them on a DVD player). But I kind of like the idea of having a library of "DISH-DVDs" with recordings of my favorite HD movies. You could basically use your 622 as a "DISH-DVD" player instead of buying a bunch of HDDs.

I suppose this option wouldn't be for those who want to record the entire broadcasting industry, but for some who would just want to archive favorite movies and such, this would be the bomb.

I wonder if you could hook up an external HDDVD burner instead of a HDD. I realize that they don't have the capacity and they would be DISH-encrypted (couldn't play them on a DVD player). But I kind of like the idea of having a library of "DISH-DVDs" with recordings of my favorite HD movies. You could basically use your 622 as a "DISH-DVD" player instead of buying a bunch of HDDs.

I suppose this option wouldn't be for those who want to record the entire broadcasting industry, but for some who would just want to archive favorite movies and such, this would be the bomb.

This would be a VERY COOL benefit. Let us know if it works! :up

Remember, you control what the system sees. So it could see 2x 750GB drives in RAID-5s. You don't have to have things all presented as one logical disk :D

Further, the OS doesn't see anything but what the configuration manager inside the Drive Station instructs it, so if you have it as 2x 750GBs that what will be seen.

Also, Dish has said that they would be removing the 750GB limitation down the road.

Cheers,
Actually you couldn't have 2 750GB drives in RAID5 since you have to have at least 3 to use RAID5 but I do understand what you were trying to relay. Although as soon as DISH removes the 750GB limit(is it really a limit or have they just not tested about 750GB since during the testing it might have been hard to get a hold of 1TB+ drives from a testing/cost standpoint) then the 2GB Quattro should definitely be able to provide 1.5TB of storage(ok, how many GB per hour were we talking again? :) )

I am in IT but had not had the privilege of working with the Quattro type devices. I still don't know that I would drop a grand on 1.5TB of protected storage when it might be possible to go that route or higher with a Windows Home Server(I know, may not come around but I am just pointing out other possible options) for possibly less(at least for me since I can build the computer myself to my own specs).

Missing Channels

How to transfer recorded items to desktop computer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)