External Router with FiOs?

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I am looking into switching from TWC internet to FiOs internet, and eventually TV. I know FiOs gives you a modem/WiFi router in one device. Because of this are you able to hook up a separate external WiFi router?

Nobody know?

The FiOs tech department is useless as they will not help me because I am not a sub and the CSRs are clueless

DodgerKing said:
I am looking into switching from TWC internet to FiOs internet, and eventually TV. I know FiOs gives you a modem/WiFi router in one device. Because of this are you able to hook up a separate external WiFi router?

DK,
Yes, you can, but the FIOS supplied unit needs to be the first thing plugged into the FIOS interface. This box supplies the STBs connected to your coax with their program information (as it was explained to me by my Father-in-Law who has FIOS). Any additional Wi-Fi box would need to run in Bridge Mode. I did this with my in-Law's home network to extend the wireless to the opposite end of the house & 2nd floor.

Most wireless routers allow you to shut off the DHCP and Router functions. Enjoy your FIOS!

I want to use their router as a modem only and use my router as the main WiFi and Router for my home network. Is this possible?

I will defer to someone with more experience, but my impression was that the box supplied by FIOS has to do what it does because it is more than just a router. I don't think it's possible to separate those functions. At best, you could disable the router's Wi-Fi, but if you tried to stack a NAT'ing router after the FIOS router, you may run into problems if you try a VPN connection.

I want to use their router as a modem only and use my router as the main WiFi and Router for my home network. Is this possible?
Yes can do that but it is not necessary. I have replaced the Actiontec router supplied by Verizon with an Asus RT-N16 flashed with DD-WRT. You have to tell the Actiontec or other Verizon supplied router to release the IP. Shut it down immediately and then you can start up the new router. You can find the details on DSLReports.

Last edited:
Yes can do that but it is not necessary. I have replaced the Actiontec router supplied by Verizon with an Asus RT-N16 flashed with DD-WRT. You have to tell the Actiontec or other Verizon supplied router to release the IP. Shut it down immediately and then you can start up the new router. You can find the details on DSLReports.
Thanks for the info.

My parents have FiOs internet and they have problems with their home network using FiOs router. Plus my router is much better than the FiOs router.

Voyager6 said:
That link mentions the issue that I did: the STBs need the FIOS router connected to the ONT to provide the cable bridge for their network connections. It also warned about having too many DHCP servers on your LAN.

That link mentions the issue that I did: the STBs need the FIOS router connected to the ONT to provide the cable bridge for their network connections. It also warned about having too many DHCP servers on your LAN.
If you are getting the Fios TV and/or Phone then the Verizon router must be connected. Fios internet only does not require the Verizon router.

Are you sure you need that Fios router if you just have internet and phone? I thought folks have posted here you don't. That's my setup. The phone line connection is at the ONT, not the router.

What is ONT?

I think it stands for Optical Network Terminal. It's where the Fios fiber hits the side of your house. Coming out of it is an old fashioned analog telephone land line, and a coax and/or CAT5 cable. Goes to the router and TVs. Also, there is a small battery backup box. YOU are responsible for replacing the battery when it goes bad, not Verizon.

At my parents house, they have both the internet and phone connected to the router. A single CAT-3 phone line goes from the router to the closest phone jack. It then powers all of the phone jacks in the house through that one jack. Their internet connection goes directly from the FiOs router to their computer.

I have the same setup with TWC. The difference is, the TWC modem is a modem only, not a router. It does not interfere with anything if I connect the modem to a router and then all of my networked items to the router. The Coax goes to the modem. From their modem I have a single CAT-6 cable going to my router and another CAT-3 phone line going to my phone jack.