External storage failure & fix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I jumped on the external USB storage option early on. I got a WD MyBook 500. Heck, not quite what I wanted, but it was cheap, all in one- and I should have known better.

After some weeks of use, I began to get the blinking green ring signal. ViP622 did not "see" the box anymore, claiming no USB storage box was connected. Sometimes it would come back, but before I could get another external storage box and move stuff off, it "went away" forever. I realized the hard drive was not spinning.

So I had to decide- return for warranty? Questionable- I put it to a use they could claim was not covered. Plus, I'd certainly lose all my recordings. I still had hope of recovery. So I opened the case, and plugged the drive into a power plug from my PC. Spun right up. Plugged it back into the WD box, no spin.

I quickly bought a new USB/firewire enclosure (Ultra) to pop the HDD into. Came right up. Saved all the recordings. The failure was in the WD MyBook electronics. So if this happens to you, you have a good chance of not losing everything.

BTW I now move recordings between 2 different external boxes and the ViP622- without rebooting. I read here where people say to reboot the receiver every time you swap boxes, but I've found that to be unnecessary.

I quickly bought a new USB/firewire enclosure (Ultra) to pop the HDD into. Came right up. Saved all the recordings. The failure was in the WD MyBook electronics. So if this happens to you, you have a good chance of not losing everything.

Could you post a link to this enclosure?? Thanks!

OK- look here.

It has a very quiet fan. Too many lights for my taste, but I only planned on short term use to try to salvage the programs. Nice and cheap.

There's also an SATA version.

Question navychop, did you have problems cracking the case on the My Book? I recently had a Seagate external HDD's USB port go bad and ended up breaking apart with screwdrivers and cutters as it has Security torx head screw's and no one around here had those bits...

Oddly, no. I did not see any screws, so I just pried up the "wrap-around" cover in one spot, and worked it around. Did not seem to even be glued, just snapped together. Now, inside- now THERE'S a few screws! Just phillips heads, though.

You're welcome. I might add that I don't think they will go back together well. Anyone with a failed HDD in a MyBook should probably plan on buying a new enclosure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)