Votes: 180 51.7%
  • Wont sign up for it

Votes: 81 23.3%
  • $39 is too much

Votes: 160 46.0%
  • $39 is reasonable

Votes: 100 28.7%

• Total voters
It's a one time charge. No big deal to me. It's cheaper than ordering a boxing PPV and I do that alot. I'll just skip that one month. I have the "Everything" package. I've recorded alot of my favorite movies and one of my 622's is almost full. When I look through the list of what I got there are some I can delete cause they are on a premium channel constantly so no real reason to keep them. What I'd like to be able to do is hook my DVD player output into the 622 and transfer movies off of DVD onto the external HD. That would be cool.

Haven't decided yet. I have 2 622's. I'll wait and see what happens in Agust/Sept. with the new additions.

S~

No one else officially suports external storage eaither. What may work today might not work tommorow.

If you dont like DVR fees switch to Dish DVR Advantage, or get the everything pack. :)

They really should add more things to the everything pack if they want people to pay them more.. External drive support .. free while you have everything pack.. 40 bux to enable if you don't .. PPV half price (or something around there) if you have everything pack (most people who have the everything pack most likely won't get pay per view since it'll be on a pay channel soon enough) .. early access to features? etc, etc, etc...

How many people would switch to everything if they offered some or all of these options to the everything pack?

I don't need it right now, my up-converting DVD recorder works just fine for archiving. I'm glad it's available for those that want it, I fully expect the fee to decline or completely disappear in time.

NightRyder

I don't need it now, but may in the future. The one time fee is miniscule compared to a lot of other fees different companies charge for little things. The charge is OK since it isn't like the forever DVR fees we get charged. People like to be given a lot of things for free and probably would think $1 a month would be too much. Kind of like the people here in Calif who don't work, get MediCal and still can't pay their $5 co-pay for a hospital or office visit. Just tooooo much!

I'm a heavy DVR user, and have been waiting for this feature for quite a while. I'll pay the one-time fee (no biggy) and get a 500gb (or larger) usb drive. I'm not complaining at all, since it's a one-time fee...
Can you trust that it is a one-time fee? Dish has a poor history of keeping it's promises.

Just got a 622. Purchased a WD 500 gb MyBook in anticipation of this. I will wait and see if everything pans out. IMO the fee is too high for this feature. This was promised for a long time on various receivers. Now we have to pay to activate it?

I paid $300 for my 622, which, only 2.5 months later, cost most of you $100. I feel the price is too high, though I still may add it at some point.

Why didn't I wait on the 622? I'd had an HD-ready TV for 2 years, tried to get a 921 which I couldn't get and then it sounded like too much trouble for a non-techy to try. Almost got a 942, but then the 622 was announced. I was ready for an HD DVR, but didn't expect the price to fall so far or so quickly for subscribers, or I certainly would have waited.

I know it's way too old and never going to happen, but if this would work with my 721 also, I'd be more willing to go for it now.

In this instance I am going to wait.

Well I don't like having to pay for an additional feature that's already built in the box but I guess I will look at it like a software purchase. Just like paying the difference between Vista Home Basic and Home Premium because technically speaking the ability to run Aero is in the base code.

I'll just add $40 to my budget for the required hardware and forget about it.

Can you trust that it is a one-time fee? Dish has a poor history of keeping it's promises.

That's a decision I can make if circumstances change and it becomes a regular (monthly or yearly) fee. As a one-time fee, I have no issue with it.

Man, that would suck, wouldn't it? You pay the $40 enable fee, build up a nice library of recorded programs, then WHAM! 1 year later after more customers are starting to use it, DISH decides "Oh, we see lots of revenue being left on the table, so we need a small monthly fee to use this option starting August 1st."

Then all those precious recordings and investment in drives are what? lost? or would you bitch and moan then, and still pay for the right to watch your recordings, because DISH has you by the balls, you can't watch them any other way.
DISH knows you're a long-time loyal customer, who pays more than most every month, and didn't mind getting screwed in the past. DISH knows you'll pay......you always have.

Last edited:
How many wont sign up just because they don't want external storage and could care less about how much it costs. :)

Definitely includes me. Although I've been with dish since 1999, who knows if I will stay (fios is coming in my area). And who knows how long I would be able to use my recordings.

Blu-ray (which I have) and HD-DVD blow away the currently available HD from Dish.

Man, that would suck, wouldn't it? You pay the $40 enable fee, build up a nice library of recorded programs, then WHAM! 1 year later after more customers are starting to use it, DISH decides "Oh, we see lots of revenue being left on the table, so we need a small monthly fee to use this option starting August 1st."

Then all those precious recordings and investment in drives are what? lost? or would you bitch and moan then, and still pay for the right to watch your recordings, because DISH has you by the balls, you can't watch them any other way.
DISH knows you're a long-time loyal customer, who pays more than most every month, and didn't mind getting screwed in the past. DISH knows you'll pay......you always have.
And we have the trend - Dish did that way: 501/508 vs 510 with "DVR" fee !

Echostar probably has to pay patent licensing fees to do external recording or transfers. There are loads on patents covering transferring multimedia content between devices. I am fine with $39

$40 = 1 tank of gas
$40 = one family trip to the movie theater
$40 = 2 DVDs or one DVD box set
$40 = 1 trip to a budget restaurant

Would I prefer to get the feature for free? Of course! Will I waste a single second agonizing about it? Not in this lifetime!

I don't think the fee is unreasonable but I am on a very limited budget so I am not going to go for it.
I don't sub to HD and burn my stored SD content to DVD-R and play back on up converting player to 1080i with great results. I don't see much advantage for me. If money was no object I would go for it.

I believe Ergan said in a past Charlie Chat that the one-time fee would apply to the entire account.

This external drive systems should save Dish a lot of money. They won't have RMA and ship out new boxes just because there is a problem with the hard drive. External drive means we buy our own drive. It is ours; any problems, we pay to replace it. I believe Charlie will do all he can to make this a more attractive option, and raising prices for this service would not do that. However, he may raise rates in the future for the boxes with the built-in hard drive. That is where you will see the fees go up, not the other way around.

If you dont like DVR fees switch to Dish DVR Advantage, or get the everything pack. :)

Thats me baby for the cash i got the everything pack + HD so when a lot of this new stuff came out i dont have to pay more for it it all has worked out for the better.

The way i see it is all it has cost me is $40 and get lots of room for storage and my everything pack + HD gets me all the rest not to bad if you realy start adding things up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)