EXTERNAL USB 2.0 drives?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

arty100

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Wisconsin
In looking through the DISH brouchere on the 722 a statement is made
about external storage as being a option using USB 2.0 HDD's.

Has anyone tried this with success ?

If so, which drive has worked out and where was it purchased.

Thanks

Yes, many are using them, including myself. I am using the Seagate FreeAgent pro and have experienced problems, but after I downloaded som Seagate software, I diasabled the External Hard Drive's (EHD) sleep mode, and now it works flawlessly. There are many threads here about the use of EHD's, including an EHD bug thread. You can buy the drives anywhere; I got mine off eBay. Stay away from the Seagate FreeAgent Pro, unless you are good with downloading and installing computer software or if you will unplug the drive after using it. There's been a lot of success with the Western Digital Drives, as well as EHD's that were built by the users with an EHD kit. Good luck.

In looking through the DISH brouchere on the 722 a statement is made
about external storage as being a option using USB 2.0 HDD's.

Has anyone tried this with success ?

There are a TON of posts about external drives on the ViP 622 and 722. And, yes, that work very well as long as you choose the right drive.

There are a TON of posts about external drives on the ViP 622 and 722. And, yes, that work very well as long as you choose the right drive.
A good 7200 RPM, 16 buffer drive with a good external enclosure. Pre-builds have too many downsides, ie plastic cases. Been using a 500 GB Western digital and Eaglebit enclosure for several months of flawless use:
EagleBit.com - Eagle Consus W-Series Hybrid 500GB 7200rpm 16MB USB 2.0 to IDE + SATA Aluminum External Hard Drive powered by Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive - Brand New
This one is out of stock but they have a PATA version or you can ala carte. Also check with Newegg for same drive and enclosure. I think their prices are pretty similar.

Is the search function THAT badly broken? :D

Wow, starting to sound like smith, i better tone it down a notch. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts