External USB devices on 522

ts7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
IL
I've noticed on my 522 that there is an option under Multimedia for External USB Devices. I'm assuming this is related to PocketDish, but I was wondering if this could be used to attach an external USB hard drive for storing additional programming? I did not find anything in Dish's support FAQs about this and I have not seen where Dish is selling such a device. Can anyone shed any additional light on this?

Thanks!

The answer is no. I know they are working on this on the 942s and 622s, but I'm not sure about the 522s.

I just noticed this as well on mine and can only assume it was added with the last software update. Since my USB HD I have now is formatted with NTFS I dont think that will work with the Linux platform the 522 is running.

I dont want it to format my drive so I haven't tried plugging it in yet.

I doubt that Dish would enable this menu item if they are not planning on making it available.

Has anyone heard anything else on this yet?

--DD73

My understanding on this is that it only works with the PocketDish as of now, but myself as well as many others are really crossing their fingers hoping they enable it for other things.

My guess is that the reason they may be hesitant to enable the USB port for simply transferring the media file is deciding on a file format to use; however, I wouldn't mind if they simply left that up to the user; my understanding is that they internal hard drive of the DVRs is LINUX file systems, so there would have to be some kind of file conversion process for a lot of users. However, I would be happy as a peach if they just let me worry about that and simply allowed me to transfer the data files onto my own system, as I have no need for a pocket dish.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts