External USB drive with a 622

dgrosen

Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
I have a 622 HD receiver and am looking at the usb port on it with a couple questions:

1) Can I simply plug an external USB hard drive into the port and move content onto it from the DVR?
1a) Do I have to do anything to have that USB port activated, is there a fee involved?
2) Could I use this USB harddrive to take programming to someone else's Dish DVR (ie "Hey, you should see this show, Ill bring it over.)
3) Are the shows on the USB drive in such a way that a computer could work with it. I would like to be able to take something off my DVR on a usb hard drive, plug it into my computer, and burn it to a video DVD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a 622 HD receiver and am looking at the usb port on it with a couple questions:

1) Can I simply plug an external USB hard drive into the port and move content onto it from the DVR?
1a) Do I have to do anything to have that USB port activated, is there a fee involved?
2) Could I use this USB harddrive to take programming to someone else's Dish DVR (ie "Hey, you should see this show, Ill bring it over.)
3) Are the shows on the USB drive in such a way that a computer could work with it. I would like to be able to take something off my DVR on a usb hard drive, plug it into my computer, and burn it to a video DVD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1: Yes
1a: Yes, there is a "One-Time" fee of $39.99 to activate this feature for your account.
2: No, the programs can only be moved between appropriate receivers on your account and then only 3 (or 4) times.
3: No, you can only maintain and view the recordings on eligible receivers.