Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hey guy's,
I have 3 XM radios, 1 in my main car and 1 in the work truck and one in my 2nd car.

The one in the work truck is one I bought from XM, so that I could remove it whe needed.

Lately I'm getting the " Check Antenna " message, if I play with the cord, I can get it to work.
Unfortunately the problem is the connection AT the radio and the only way to fix it is to replace the antenna.

The Original one I put in had the small little magnetic piece (antenna) and a secondary one that connected to it and went to the Truck antenna and slid over the existing antenna.

I cannot find this type of antenna anymore, only one I'm finding is the magnetic one ... so I was assured that this would work fine, so I bought one ....

I did the simple thing, plug it in and sit the magnetic piece on the roof.

Guess what, it sits there saying "Check Antenna".

Remember, if I play with the connection on the old antenna set up I CAN get it to work, it's worked fine for a long time, till the last few days. (so I don't think it's the radio)

Any suggestions ?

I would not mind finding the two piece antenna if I could find them anywhere as I KNOW that works.

Thanks for any help in this manner !

Jimbo

The 'two piece' antenna is part of the FM modulator. I forget what it's called, something like FM express or FM connect, but they started including them with all car-kits when the FCC told them the FM modulators were too powerful and made them reduce the output power. They needed a cheap way to reliably feed a very low power FM signal into your radio. It is not part of the actual XM antenna and is not needed for XM reception. It is only used if you use the receiver's built-in FM modulator to feed the sound into your stereo.

If you have a brand new mini-mag antenna with the same plug, and you are still getting the 'check antenna' message, the connector in the radio itself (or its cradle - you didn't say which model you have) is the culprit. Replacing the FM portion of the antenna (the T connection with the wire that goes to the truck antenna) will not fix it. If it's a cradle type radio, it's a simple fix. You just have to re-solder the antenna jack to the board. If it's not a cradle type, it's still the same fix, but you have to take the radio apart to get at it, and it will probably be a much smaller connection.

Last edited:
The 'two piece' antenna is part of the FM modulator. I forget what it's called, something like FM express or FM connect, but they started including them with all car-kits when the FCC told them the FM modulators were too powerful and made them reduce the output power. They needed a cheap way to reliably feed a very low power FM signal into your radio. It is not part of the actual XM antenna and is not needed for XM reception. It is only used if you use the receiver's built-in FM modulator to feed the sound into your stereo.

If you have a brand new mini-mag antenna with the same plug, and you are still getting the 'check antenna' message, the connector in the radio itself (or its cradle - you didn't say which model you have) is the culprit. Replacing the FM portion of the antenna (the T connection with the wire that goes to the truck antenna) will not fix it. If it's a cradle type radio, it's a simple fix. You just have to re-solder the antenna jack to the board. If it's not a cradle type, it's still the same fix, but you have to take the radio apart to get at it, and it will probably be a much smaller connection.

Thanks Matt,
I place the radio in the cradle as far as I remember, it's never been out of the cradle since I got it.
I think it's a Roady radio, if I remember correctly.
Your saying it sounds like the connector in the base ?
Can that be replaced, or should I just accept the radio that they will invariably offer me when I re up my service soon ?

Remember, like I mentioned, the radio works if I move the antenna cord around.

Yeah the fact that it works if you wiggle the connector sounds like the jack itself broke loose from the circuit board in the cradle. That board is about as simple as it gets, all that's inside is jumpers between the jacks on the side and the radio dock connector. I don't even think there were any components (I had a Roady about 7 years ago). There was I think 1 screw holding the two halves together, and the circuit board is sandwiched in between.

If the jack broke free, it may have broke the pad off the board, and you may need to solder a new jumper between the contact and the correct pin on the dock connector. 99% of the time that should be the issue. But if that doesn't work, definitely take whatever they offer you for $19.99.

If it's a Roady with a cradle (not jacks built into the side of the radio), then it's the RoadyXT. You can get a new cradle for about $7 shipped from here: Roady XT Car Cradle and Home Cradle

Last edited:
I was wrong on what radio I have, it's an ExpressR or something like that, it's at work and I'm not .... forgot to bring it home.
I think I'll call them tonight and re up and see what they have to offer, otherwise I'll bring it home over the weekend and play with it like you said. :)

I called and talked with XM tonight and the tech department said after I changed the antenna I just needed a signal refresh .... I doubt thats the issue, but if so, great.
I won't be back to my truck at work again till Friday, so I'll refresh again on Friday and see if it helps.

Btw, I updated my 3 radio subs, got the XM with BOS and online listening for $ 231 so thats $ 77 per radio, I think thats a GREAT deal. :) :) :)

Update,
They did the Refresh and as I suspected, it did nothing.
they told me I needed to buy the Sure Connect and that would take care of it, it's the same one that I am currently using that I could not find locally ( Best Buy, Radio Shack).
So I ordered one online and well see what happens when I get it ....

The Sure Connect is the piece for the FM modulator that I told you wouldn't help (the one I couldn't remember the name of). If you plugged the new Micro antenna directly into the radio without the Sure Connect box, and it still goes out when you wiggle it, then it has to be the jack on the cradle. You just need to re-solder the pin that broke loose. Or buy a new cradle (if it's the Audiovox radio, those cradles are about $15).

The Sure Connect is the piece for the FM modulator that I told you wouldn't help (the one I couldn't remember the name of). If you plugged the new Micro antenna directly into the radio without the Sure Connect box, and it still goes out when you wiggle it, then it has to be the jack on the cradle. You just need to re-solder the pin that broke loose. Or buy a new cradle (if it's the Audiovox radio, those cradles are about $15).

I need to update you on whats happening...
Once I plugged in the new micro antenna, it brought up the Channel and what was playing, but I could not hear it, faintly in the background, I tried changing FM channels as a new station was turned on recently, although it never bothered it before.
The losing the power issue is no longer as the new antenna made a solid connection, I think the dock is fine, waiting i\on the sure connect to get here, hopefully that will fix my issue ... well see.

With the new info I gave you, does this make sense ?

Ahhhh ok I see.. I was under the impression that you still got the Check Antenna message after you plugged the new micro antenna directly into the dock. If you are relying on the FM modulator, then you'll have that exact problem (very low sound) if you don't use the Sureconnect. The FM signal is diplexed onto the XM antenna line, and with the older high power transmitters you would get a decent signal to your FM radio (and everyone else's within 50 or so feet of you), but with the newer low power transmitters, basically nothing will make it to your radio unless you place the micro antenna right next to your FM antenna. The Sureconnect basically just strips the the FM signal off the XM antenna line and keeps it inside a separate coax until the very end (the clip that goes over your FM antenna), allowing you to get a reliable signal with a very low power transmitter. The general idea is to keep your music out of other people's FM radios.

That being said, since I misunderstood, the new Sureconnect SHOULD solve your issue.. :)

Ahhhh ok I see.. I was under the impression that you still got the Check Antenna message after you plugged the new micro antenna directly into the dock. If you are relying on the FM modulator, then you'll have that exact problem (very low sound) if you don't use the Sureconnect. The FM signal is diplexed onto the XM antenna line, and with the older high power transmitters you would get a decent signal to your FM radio (and everyone else's within 50 or so feet of you), but with the newer low power transmitters, basically nothing will make it to your radio unless you place the micro antenna right next to your FM antenna. The Sureconnect basically just strips the the FM signal off the XM antenna line and keeps it inside a separate coax until the very end (the clip that goes over your FM antenna), allowing you to get a reliable signal with a very low power transmitter. The general idea is to keep your music out of other people's FM radios.

That being said, since I misunderstood, the new Sureconnect SHOULD solve your issue.. :)

Thanks for your input here, much appreciated ....

If thats the case, then why would they even sell the Micro antenna if you cant get a decent signal with it ???

I have a Sure Connect coming to me, should be here Wednesday !

You should work in thier Tech Support :)

Well Matt,
It's a success, I got my SureConnect and set it up and all works well, btw, No refresh needed.

I still get an occasional drop out for a few seconds, but thats acceptable seeing it's not a hard wire set up.

Good to hear you got it resolved..

And the micro antenna is the actual XM antenna that picks up the signal from the satellites.. It works with basically all XM receivers. With the older units, it still works as an FM transmission antenna as well.. It's just with the newer low power units and the middle-age ones that have been firmware neutered to output lower power, there's just not a powerful enough FM signal going onto the antenna line to get very far out of the micro antenna. Like I said, the box on the SureConnect is a diplexer that strips the FM signal off the XM antenna line (remember the XM antenna actually plugs into it), and the line to the FM antenna clip is coaxial to keep the signal strong enough to feed directly into the FM antenna.

It's a decent cheap-side solution to the problem. The alternative would be an actual hardwired connection to the FM antenna lead. They do sell those (called FM Direct - they're about $25), and their main advantage is that it disconnects the outside antenna while the XM radio is on, which keeps strong radio stations from interfering with your modulator. It comes in really handy in major metro areas where there are no vacant frequencies.

Good to hear you got it resolved..

And the micro antenna is the actual XM antenna that picks up the signal from the satellites.. It works with basically all XM receivers. With the older units, it still works as an FM transmission antenna as well.. It's just with the newer low power units and the middle-age ones that have been firmware neutered to output lower power, there's just not a powerful enough FM signal going onto the antenna line to get very far out of the micro antenna. Like I said, the box on the SureConnect is a diplexer that strips the FM signal off the XM antenna line (remember the XM antenna actually plugs into it), and the line to the FM antenna clip is coaxial to keep the signal strong enough to feed directly into the FM antenna.

It's a decent cheap-side solution to the problem. The alternative would be an actual hardwired connection to the FM antenna lead. They do sell those (called FM Direct - they're about $25), and their main advantage is that it disconnects the outside antenna while the XM radio is on, which keeps strong radio stations from interfering with your modulator. It comes in really handy in major metro areas where there are no vacant frequencies.

Unfortunately, I have to stay portable, I would like to be able to do the FM Direct thing, but I could change work trucks at any time, so going that route would not be practical .... now if it were for the second car (mine) Yes, thats what we did.

Actually considered awhile back at putting a In Mount XM radio in the second car, but they are way too expensive when you look at the price of the portable one.

Thanks for all your info. :)

Here is what you do....take the "fm out" micro antenna (the thin long black wire that you can stick to a window or whatever).

Cut the wire right before the black plastic end. Where it becomes a single wire. Presently it's only 1 foot or so long. Maybe little more.

Measure the existing length, add more wire to it until the total length is 32" inches or so. Does not need to be exact.

Then route the entire "fm out" cable through the door to the fm antenna on your truck. Simply wrap the new longer radiating part of the antenna wire you just lengthened up the antenna mast starting at the bottom. Secure the end at the top with a piece of black tape or thin zip tie.

Now plug the 1/16" plug into the " fm out" of your radio.

Tune your radios fm tuner to your radios fm modulator frequency.

Voila you should have clear signal. Be sure to try using an fm preset with no station on it in your area.

Technically if you wanted to perfectly tune your new 1/4 wave fm output antenna wire perfectly take the fm preset frequency and divide it by 234. This will give you feet.

So for instance if you use 88.1 FM,

234 / 88.1 = 2.65 feet of antenna.

This also has little effect on your normal fm reception.

Here is what you do....take the "fm out" micro antenna (the thin long black wire that you can stick to a window or whatever).

Cut the wire right before the black plastic end. Where it becomes a single wire. Presently it's only 1 foot or so long. Maybe little more.

Measure the existing length, add more wire to it until the total length is 32" inches or so. Does not need to be exact.

Then route the entire "fm out" cable through the door to the fm antenna on your truck. Simply wrap the new longer radiating part of the antenna wire you just lengthened up the antenna mast starting at the bottom. Secure the end at the top with a piece of black tape or thin zip tie.

Now plug the 1/16" plug into the " fm out" of your radio.

Tune your radios fm tuner to your radios fm modulator frequency.

Voila you should have clear signal. Be sure to try using an fm preset with no station on it in your area.

Technically if you wanted to perfectly tune your new 1/4 wave fm output antenna wire perfectly take the fm preset frequency and divide it by 234. This will give you feet.

So for instance if you use 88.1 FM,

234 / 88.1 = 2.65 feet of antenna.

This also has little effect on your normal fm reception.

This is essentially what the SURE Connect does ... except they give you like 20 ft of wire on it.
The wire is routed out the door and onto the antenna connecting with the little device they supply that goes around the antenna and a boot over it for weather purposes.

Last edited:
Mine actually works so well that my truck parked in the driveway will broadcast the Sirius fm into the house to my home fm tuners. I can leave the Sirius radio powered in the truck on the station I like and hear it static free in the truck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts