Extra Charge for Superstation Package?

DISH_NC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Lost my DNS channels and got my latest bill. I am now showing a charge for 'SuperStations Package KWGN' on my bill for $5.99 and also a retroactive charge for Dec. bill too.

I thought WGN was included in the DISHHD Gold pack. It's not on any of my previous bills and the only thing I lost was the Distant Networks (NY and LA)...

Anyone else seen this? Looking for some answer before I call a DISH CSR.... Here I expect to save $12/month and it's only less than $5 since I am also paying $1.50 for National PBS....

WGN and KWGN are not the same station. WGN on Dish is a cable station out of Chicago, KWGN is a CW Superstation out of Denver. Many of us long time DNS subscribers had "Grandfathered" package pricing that was attached to DNS. Example: DNS East or West + Superstation Package = $8.99, add locals and it was $11.99. That all went away with DNS. Same with National PBS, was free with DNS but $1.50 without. :(

The $5.99 Superstaion package includes: KTLA (Los Angeles), WPIX (New York), KWGN (Denver), WSBK (Boston) and WWOR (New York).

NightRyder

Last edited:
Man, the stinks. So, if you qualified for DNS from NPS, then you have a net increase of $4.50 over DISH Network's original plan ($1.50+$5.99+NPS$9.00) - $11.99).

Looks like Charlie doesn't have much sympathy for those who lost their DNS....

Not only that, but when I called DISH CSR the other day, after I verified my number, it said 'You are one of our most Valued Customers' - yeah - right.....

If I was that valued, they could have provided at least a credit for x-months for these Superstations.

Yap, I can confirm that the Superstation Pack (KTLA, WPIX, KWGN, WSBK and WWOR) normally goes for $5.99 which in addition to locals makes $11.99...I was one of "grandfathered" customers which paid for both $8.99 for looong time and I made sure that they continue honoring that after I recently upgraded to PlatinumHD package...one CSR told me I would loose my pricing once I switch but I kept calling and talking to managers until I got what I wanted.

I find it odd that WPIX shows up twice on Dish, channel 234 and 251. I cancelled WWOR and KTLA yesterday when I upgraded to HD (why pay $3/month for channels I don't watch anymore since some shows I used to watch on WB and UPN have gone off the air, and the one show I still watch on CW is available on 251). I wasn't paying for channel 251 (explicitely).

kevink

Channel 251 is for some local areas that don't have a CW affiliate or the CW is cable only. When it was WB (this year) Dish had WB Miami & WB San Diego (E & C time zone got Miami and M & P got SD). Then when CW came around, they swapped it to WPIX & KTLA for most areas.

I get WPIX in my locals (Duluth MN due to CW being cable only) but I only get 251, not 234

WGN Superstation (Chicago) - not to be confused with the Chicago CW affiliate (WGN 9) is or at least was part of the Gold pack. Somewhere along the line, E* got the impression that you wanted to subscribe to the "Superstation" package (KTLA, WPIX, KWGN, WSBK and WWOR) and is billing you accordingly. Probably a miscommunication - there are too many "WGN's" floating around. Call them and clarify (and demand a refund if you're not at fault).

Lost my DNS channels and got my latest bill. I am now showing a charge for 'SuperStations Package KWGN' on my bill for $5.99 and also a retroactive charge for Dec. bill too.

I thought WGN was included in the DISHHD Gold pack. It's not on any of my previous bills and the only thing I lost was the Distant Networks (NY and LA)...

Anyone else seen this? Looking for some answer before I call a DISH CSR.... Here I expect to save $12/month and it's only less than $5 since I am also paying $1.50 for National PBS....

I had the same thing happen. I paid $11.99 for distants with Super Stations.
I called them and had them remove them and of course they charged me $5. It was fine when it was an extra $2 with the $9.99 DNS package but $5.99 is too much for those crummy channels.

yeah, I am not going to pay 5.99 for those extra channels..

The only thing I miss is WWE Smackdown on MyNetworkTV2..

Oh well, it aint worth 5.99 a month for 1 show...

Yes but watch people complain if these "Crummy channels" do indeed go away at the end of the year.
but I guess this shows we need to check our bills regualrly. I wish that was not necessary but it is.

The price on the supers hasn't gone up in a long, long time. I don't think Charlie is not having sympathy for you. He has to pay for the channels. The price is the price. I think we all know that Charlie tries to get the lowest price on channels that he can. In fact it is a source of much consternation for many.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)