Extra line during install.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Was thinking of asking the installer to run an extra line to the standard receiver we're having put in, how much should I offer/tip him for doing so, or will there likely just be an upfront flat-fee?

Is $20-30 unrealistic/too generous?

If the install is really good and he does that for you $20 is not unreasonable. They dont make that much per install and ones that take their time and do things well should be tipped. The ones that just want to get the hell out of there, just hope its done at least good enough.

Ya, its only a 2-room 3LNB install to begin with, a DVR and a standard IRD. We are going to take my modified D* TiVo back from my parents that is sitting unused in my old bedroom and put it in the standard location at some point.

Knowing they dont even make that much per install, I'll probably just offer him $30 to run the extra line as he prepares to run the single.

He initially said it would be $99 for the extra line, but didnt realize i had a DVR being installed. After he realized that, he asked me where I wanted it. When I said I wasn't sure, but the bedroom works for now, he said he'd just run both for me.

I half expected a charge when I was signing the paperwork, but there was none, so i tipped him $20 and kept a steady stream of bottled water coming his way during the install.

Ok I'm mildly confused.

I have one TV downstairs and one TV upstairs. I was thinking of asking to have a second line run downstairs so on gamedays I could bring the upstairs TV/receiver downstairs and have two games on at a time.

When I asked D* about this they said new orders (which I would be) get up to 4-room installation free, so running two lines to the same room would just count as "2 rooms" and hence there should be no extra charge, nor any extra work by the installer over what they're signed up to do (up to 4 rooms).

Is this not right?

Anytime you order a DVR which requires 2 lines, its considered one install. If you only have 1 existing line, they will then run a second one. So lets say you order 4 DVRs, they would have to install 4 rooms or 8 lines from the dish and install a multiswitch if one doesnt exist. So order what you want. If you are trying to bring in lets say 3 lines to a room that is designated to have 2 lines for 1 DVR, then you are supposed to be charged extra. If you ever want something like that, best way is negotiate something with your installer and tip them directly.

Ok I'm mildly confused.

I have one TV downstairs and one TV upstairs. I was thinking of asking to have a second line run downstairs so on gamedays I could bring the upstairs TV/receiver downstairs and have two games on at a time.

When I asked D* about this they said new orders (which I would be) get up to 4-room installation free, so running two lines to the same room would just count as "2 rooms" and hence there should be no extra charge, nor any extra work by the installer over what they're signed up to do (up to 4 rooms).

Is this not right?

It would only count as two rooms if there were two receivers installed there. Just to run an extra cable for whatever reason is generally considered custom labor and is not part of your "free" install.

It would only count as two rooms if there were two receivers installed there. Just to run an extra cable for whatever reason is generally considered custom labor and is not part of your "free" install.

This seems like a very odd way to do this.

So basically I'd be better off just getting another standard receiver (free) and telling them I want it installed right next to my HD DVR, and then just sending back the standard receiver as soon as the installer leaves, thus leaving me with an extra unused line sitting right where I need it. That seems like an awful waste of timeon both our ends to get the exact same thing.

Between the HD DVR for downstairs ($199), the HD receiver for upstairs ($99), the OTA antenna ($49), and Superfan to get my ST in HD ($99) I'm already paying a hideous amount of cash upfront. Nickle and diming me any more for a friggin extra line that can be run right along next to the other one is crossing a line for me.

So basically I'd be better off just getting another standard receiver (free) and telling them I want it installed right next to my HD DVR, and then just sending back the standard receiver as soon as the installer leaves, thus leaving me with an extra unused line sitting right where I need it. That seems like an awful waste of timeon both our ends to get the exact same thing.

Only if you want the line to run back out to where the dish is. If you want it to go to another location, that is custom labor.

Between the HD DVR for downstairs ($199), the HD receiver for upstairs ($99), the OTA antenna ($49), and Superfan to get my ST in HD ($99) I'm already paying a hideous amount of cash upfront. Nickle and diming me any more for a friggin extra line that can be run right along next to the other one is crossing a line for me.

So you want the installer to do custom labor that is not part of the standard install for free? The installer only gets paid for what's on the work order, and for any custom work that is performed provided that you pay for that.

If you want the extra line run for free, why not do it yourself? Then it will go where you want it to, and you only have to pay for the cost of the cable. The installer will be more than happy to put the ends on the cable for you provided it is already run.

Only if you want the line to run back out to where the dish is. If you want it to go to another location, that is custom labor.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how all this works, as I've never had satellite installed before. One end would need to be in the living room where I want to plug in the receiver, and the other end would need to be wherever the heck it needs to go for me to get the D* channels on my receiver.

Just using my common logic (I could be totally wrong here) I'm assuming that if I want a line run to my living room that line goes from the dish to that spot in the living room.

Now, for the HD DVR there will need to be two lines run to that same spot. How is running two lines to the same spot any more work? Are they not just run together? Same with three?

So again, given that I were to say "oh yeah I want a standard receiver right here at point A right next to my HD DVR", they would have to run a line to point A, where I could then plug in the receiver. Now I unplug the receiver and do whatever I want with it, put it in the oven, smash it with a baseball bat, or send it back to them but either way the line to that receiver is still sitting right there, is it not?

I mean, I'm assuming that when I unscrew it out of the back of the box, the line doesn't magically vanish and I can plug the box back into it. Likewise, could I not plug a different box (the one from upstairs) into it?

I think I must be misunderstanding something here, maybe the whole concept of what running a line for satellite is, but I'm not understanding what the issue is.

Last edited:
You're not misunderstanding anything, and no, it's not really any extra work for the installer except that he is not getting paid for doing you this favor. Some people want the extra line to the dish to add a second receiver later, some want it run from the receiver to another room so that one receiver can supply two TV's. Either way, it's custom labor.

Again, I ask, why should the installer do this for free? He shouldn't, and if it was me, I wouldn't. In addition, if he does run the third line for you and something goes wrong with it, he is on the hook to come back out and fix it for free.

If you don't want to pay for it, do it yourself.

Well I have no problem with the guy not doing it if it's not on the work order, but I don't see why D* couldn't just put it on the work order (especially since they promised me over the phone that it would be no problem) since the offer covers that many installs anyway?

And again I ask, even if they can't put the line without a receiver, can't I just ask for a standard receiver, which costs me nothing, have them run the line to it (included in the install), and then send back the receiver because I "decided I didn't want it afterall?"

That seems like an odd hoop to jump through when they know exactly what I want from the get-go, and when it is no more work than what they offer for a basic install (up to 4 receivers).

Well I have no problem with the guy not doing it if it's not on the work order, but I don't see why D* couldn't just put it on the work order (especially since they promised me over the phone that it would be no problem) since the offer covers that many installs anyway?

Because that is not part of the standard installation. If you go to the D* website and look, they explain what a standard installation will cover. As far as what the CSR told you, they can not obligate another company to do work for free. The way the D* job tracking software works, if you install an outlet on a work order, then you must have an associated receiver serial number to go with it.

And again I ask, even if they can't put the line without a receiver, can't I just ask for a standard receiver, which costs me nothing, have them run the line to it (included in the install), and then send back the receiver because I "decided I didn't want it afterall?"

That seems like an odd hoop to jump through when they know exactly what I want from the get-go, and when it is no more work than what they offer for a basic install (up to 4 receivers).

Yes you can, and if I was you, I would get the work order changed BEFORE the installer shows up. I've heard stories where customers were charged for the additional receivers they added (and still below the 4 room install limit) after the installer showed up. The only way to insure that you will not pay for it is to have D* generate the correct work order before your appointment.

Are you saying to include the receiver on the order and then cancel that receiver before the guy shows up?

I haven't actually placed any order yet, were you thinking I had and was trying to change it now?

How would I go about returning the receiver to them, do I have to pay a fee to ship it back to them or do I just drop it off with the local installer? I assume I'm going to be hit with the $4.99 fee for the first month with that receiver, which is fine, but will I be obligated to keep that receiver with the 2 year contract or is that just 2 years that I have to keep D* in general?

Lastly, I assume that even if I give that receiver back the line it was hooked up to will stay active, correct? And I'll be able to hook an HD receiver up to it (when I move the upstairs HD receiver downstairs on gamedays) even though the line was originally run to an SD Receiver?

Thanks for your help on this.

Are you saying to include the receiver on the order and then cancel that receiver before the guy shows up?

No, keep it on the order until after it is installed.

I haven't actually placed any order yet, were you thinking I had and was trying to change it now?

I didn't know either way, I was just trying to keep you from having a problem

How would I go about returning the receiver to them, do I have to pay a fee to ship it back to them or do I just drop it off with the local installer? I assume I'm going to be hit with the $4.99 fee for the first month with that receiver, which is fine, but will I be obligated to keep that receiver with the 2 year contract or is that just 2 years that I have to keep D* in general?

For the most part, D* does not care about getting the standard receivers back. When you call them to deactivate it, ask them if they want it returned. If they do, they will send you a shipping box/label to return it. Do not give it back to the installer, as they have no way of notifying D* that you have returned the receiver and that they have it.

Lastly, I assume that even if I give that receiver back the line it was hooked up to will stay active, correct? And I'll be able to hook an HD receiver up to it (when I move the upstairs HD receiver downstairs on gamedays) even though the line was originally run to an SD Receiver?

Thanks for your help on this.

Yes, unless you disconnect it from your ground block/multiswitch.

Unless you have an in house tech, the cable costs US money? Why should I give you something that belongs to me just because you feel entitled to it?

I charged $35 for extra cabling and laughed (after I left the customer's home, of course) when people said they would just go buy it and install it themselves at walmart. You are not gonna get a quality splitter and RG6 at walmart for less than $35, and then you have to do the labor on your own.

$35 is peanuts, and if it is peanuts for me, then I know it is peanuts for somebody in a quarter million dollar house with 2 HDTVs. Get over yourselves, guys. Personally, I don't want ANYTHING that is free, because it is generally worth what you pay for it. :rolleyes:

Unless you have an in house tech, the cable costs US money? Why should I give you something that belongs to me just because you feel entitled to it?

I charged $35 for extra cabling and laughed (after I left the customer's home, of course) when people said they would just go buy it and install it themselves at walmart. You are not gonna get a quality splitter and RG6 at walmart for less than $35, and then you have to do the labor on your own.

$35 is peanuts, and if it is peanuts for me, then I know it is peanuts for somebody in a quarter million dollar house with 2 HDTVs. Get over yourselves, guys. Personally, I don't want ANYTHING that is free, because it is generally worth what you pay for it. :rolleyes:

Except that if I so much as tell them I wanted a 100% free standard receiver hooked up to that line you're running that exact same cable to that exact same place for your much maligned price of free, hence the advertisement for it being free in up to 4 rooms.

If they're going to offer free installation in up to 4 rooms for "free" with new signups (and AFAIK the price of free is actually a 2-year contract agreement, so not really "free") then I don't see why they wouldn't offer to wire up to 4 rooms to be ready for a receiver. It's the exact same thing as far as the install goes.

If the deal was free installation in up to 2 rooms and I wanted someone to come run lines to 4 rooms, then that would be different.

As for that quarter of a million dollar home well, I wish I had one ;)

As an independant contractor, I dare to put my .02 in on this. If I show up at a customers house and the work order calls for a 4 room installation, that that is what they get 4 rooms installed. Dont matter to me if they want all 4 receivers in the same room. I will run 4 wires to the same room and activate all 4 receivers in that room. That is what the customer wants and what I'm being paid for. NOW if you wanted me to install 4 different rooms and wanted an extra line for (what is known as) future use then yes you are most deffinately cracking out the cash or the check book in the amount of $45 dollars for another line that you want run at the time of install that IS NOT on my work order.

So in short, order the extra reciever have it installed next to the HD/DVR and you will get your 3 wires to that one location. Anything else is custom labor, PERIOD.

As for the CSR telling you it wouldnt be a problem.....of course its not to them, they want you to agree to the install commitment. They make us deal with you when we get there. However I dont deal with it, I know what my contract states and what is included in a basic install. No difference than me showing up to a customers house and him asking me to hang his 50 inch plasma because DTV told him I could do it (and get this) AS PART OF THE INSTALL. Well that didnt happen and he paid me the $450 dollars I charge to hang that size TV.

I agree with the others, we PAY for our OWN wire, no reason to GIVE it away cause a customer thinks he deserves it.

Except that if I so much as tell them I wanted a 100% free standard receiver hooked up to that line you're running that exact same cable to that exact same place for your much maligned price of free, hence the advertisement for it being free in up to 4 rooms.

If they're going to offer free installation in up to 4 rooms for "free" with new signups (and AFAIK the price of free is actually a 2-year contract agreement, so not really "free") then I don't see why they wouldn't offer to wire up to 4 rooms to be ready for a receiver. It's the exact same thing as far as the install goes.

If the deal was free installation in up to 2 rooms and I wanted someone to come run lines to 4 rooms, then that would be different.

As for that quarter of a million dollar home well, I wish I had one ;)

And when you order the 4 room install from D*, that is what D* is paying the installation company for, hence that is what the tech is getting paid for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)