Extra Receiver Fee...

Weezknight

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
Does the extra receiver fee only apply to leased receivers? I'm going to upgrade my 811, but I was thinking that if I purchased the 211 that I may avoid the fee.

L

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 21, 2007
USA
1) I don't believe you can purchase a receiver outright anymore, can you? Even the store models are like a leased car where you pay a downpayment and then lease.

2) You'll pay a fee either way. Either a lease fee, or a mirror fee (if you have your own receiver purchased before they went to all leasing, you pay the subscription mirroring fee)

Pepper

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
You can still buy a receiver outright, but there's virtually no advantage at this point to doing so as the fees are identical.

K

kb7oeb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2004
Phoenix,Arizona
If the new 211 will be the only receiver on the account I think you will be charged a lease fee if you use DIU.

TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Does the extra receiver fee only apply to leased receivers? I'm going to upgrade my 811, but I was thinking that if I purchased the 211 that I may avoid the fee.
Consider replacing 2 receivers with a single dual-tuner receiver such as the 222 instead. You won't have the extra fee that way ;) assuming you can plug either the phone line or the LAN port into something.

D

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
You can still buy a receiver outright, but there's virtually no advantage at this point to doing so as the fees are identical.

I agree. The only reason to purchase and own a Dish box is if one wants more tuners (4) than Dish is willing to lease.