Factory XM vs. Add-on models

GaryGnu

Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Factory XM vs. Add-on models for new car

I'm in the process of buying a new car, either an Accord or Altima. For both cars, satellite radio is an expensive add-on. In both cases I have to move up one trim model to get satellite radio, in the Altima's case its still a $400 add on after that. I'm thinking of getting the lower trim model, and just adding on one of these SkyFi's or something similar. My questions is what am I sacrificing? I will have a new car (no cassette player) so the unit will have to hook up by an FM modulator. Is any quality lost by connecting this way? It doesn't seem ideal, but what other choices do I have?

Thanks for any help.

Gary

There will be a quality loss using the FM modulator. Do you get anything else for the $400 besides XM? One advantage of getting it factory is that it is already installed and nice and clean. Also sometimes you get free months of service when you buy it factory. So in the end it may be a lot closer in price then you think.

minorthr said:
There will be a quality loss using the FM modulator. Do you get anything else for the $400 besides XM? One advantage of getting it factory is that it is already installed and nice and clean. Also sometimes you get free months of service when you buy it factory. So in the end it may be a lot closer in price then you think.

Look at it like this. If I get an Accord LX, I would have to upgrade to an Accord EX with Leather model to get XM radio. This is over $3000. For the Altima, it is similar, but then there is a $400 additional upgrade. This is absurd. I'd be getting a nicer car, but I don't want all those extras. I only want satellite radio. If it was a straight $400 upgrade, it would be a no-brainer, even $800 to keep it factory, but that's not even in the ballpark.

Another option is to have an aftermarket Alpine installed (AM/FM/XM). Crutchfield sells one. Its $349. XM Tuner built right in and it fits the Accord. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NGjKoNHts3n/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=205350&I=500CDA9820

I thought for once maybe I would be satisfied with the stereo that came with the car, but it doesn't look like that is going to be the case. Its been a similar problem in past years. Cars used to always come standard with a cassette player and they wanted some crazy charge to put a CD player in. Its the same now except CD players are standard and satellite radio is the expensive upgrade.

Another question, some other car stereo units come "XM ready" or "Sirius Ready". I'm assuming these units would be able to handle a SkyFi type unit without loss of quality? Is that correct?

I'd shop around the market and compare what others manufacturers are doing. It's not like you'd change make cars but the dealer doesn't know that and if he senses he's going to lose a sale because the economics are pushing you to his competitor, he'll be more inclined to meet you halfway. And, who knows, in the process, you might actually fine a sweeter deal and a sweeter car and end up pleasantly surprised at which point you can drive back to the dealer in your new car and show him what a great deal you got because he was greedy. :D

OK i see where your coming from now $3000+ just for xm is crazy. You could get a Skyfi and then get a PIE adapter to connect it to your factory radio and you shouldn't really experience any quality lose.

Or some dealers offer installs on radios. Maybe they can install the XM ready radio in the car and you can get the tuner for it.

Also if you get an XM or Sirius ready head unit. You would not purchase a skyfi or roady or Sporster. You would buy a tuner such as the Terk and attach it to the radio to get XM or Sirius.

I would second the PIE aux input adapter suggestion.

I did that in my 2003 Corolla and the sound is very comparable to CD quality.

Thanks for the help. In the end, I ended up getting the Accord EX model with Leather which comes with XM standard. This contradicts what my original message said, but I had a change of heart. Once I learned that the LX model did not have alloy wheels, I jumped to the EX model, and then it was a much smaller jump to the EX with Leather model. I splurged. I have not bought a new car in 14 years. The leather seats rule, and the stereo system overall is much better in the EX. That PIE adapter seems to fix my original problem partially. I would just rather not add aftermarket stuff to a brand new car. There is still the matter of installing the antenna. The antenna on my Accord is barely noticable. Its on the back of the roof. No wires are visible and its painted the color of the car. I got a killer end of year deal on the car too.

I guess its not cost effective for these car companies to have all their cars be satellite radio ready. The Nissan Altima was set up similarly. You had to get a premium package add-on before you could even think about adding satellite radio.

The portable units do seem very cool, but I really don't have much of a need for XM outside of the car. At home, I have DirecTV which has many music stations, plus I could always get the XM online account if I wanted.

If it comes with XM shouldn't it already have the antenna installed on it ? And all you should have to do is activate the radio. This is how it worked for people that I know that have purchased Gm cars with XM.

minorthr said:
If it comes with XM shouldn't it already have the antenna installed on it ? And all you should have to do is activate the radio. This is how it worked for people that I know that have purchased Gm cars with XM.

The antenna is installed, in fact it blends in nicely with the car. Its painted the same color as the car. Its activated. What I was getting at was that if I did not get this model, I would have had to deal with installing a satellite antenna, etc. on a brand new car.

The subscription is tied to the receiver, so your suscription stays with the car. My SkyFi2 can slide into a boombox, a cradle in my A/V system at home, and a marine cradle if I wanted.... Plus my SkyFi2 comes with a Sports ticker, a stock ticker, and pause and rewind functions for the last 30 minutes listened to (real useful when the cell phone rings)

GaryGnu said:
The antenna is installed, in fact it blends in nicely with the car. Its painted the same color as the car. Its activated. What I was getting at was that if I did not get this model, I would have had to deal with installing a satellite antenna, etc. on a brand new car.

OK now I got it. Well enjoy the new car and XM !!!!!!

BobMurdoch said:
The subscription is tied to the receiver, so your suscription stays with the car. My SkyFi2 can slide into a boombox, a cradle in my A/V system at home, and a marine cradle if I wanted.... Plus my SkyFi2 comes with a Sports ticker, a stock ticker, and pause and rewind functions for the last 30 minutes listened to (real useful when the cell phone rings)

Yes, this is an advantage. I agree. But it wasn't worth it to me. 1) I really don't have a need for XM outside of my car. I have DirecTV at home, and some of their rock stations are somewhat comparable to what I get on XM. So, I can essentially get satellite radio through DirecTV. Its not XM, but its similar enough for my main needs. 2) I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of using those portable units in the car.

Gary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)