Farewell Voom And Hello Charter

Lars said:
If you have the DVR, press the # button and you cycle through pillar box, stretch and zoom modes. On demand works on all boxes, even the DVR, but is SD only. Hope this helps.....

To follow up: on demand is not working at all. There isn't a # button on the remote (at least I can't find one)!

Picture on analog locals (they only have two in digital HD) is horrible!

I have to think about this. I'm going to have to give the Dish offer another look.

CDH.

pauljk said:
CDH, If you've got a Moxi, you want to go into Settings, and set it to Widescreen and leave it. Then, also under Settings, change your Video Output to either 1080 or 480, depending on what you're watching. That should keep your TV from displaying SD in 16:9.

It's a real nuisance, but will be fixed with the 3.2 software.

Paul

Yes, this appears to be the only way I can get it to change the format.

Thanks,
CDH.

pauljk said:
Charter is switching to a digital simulcast system where they send the lower 100 channels in both digital and analog. This will improve the grainy appearance with the DVR on those channels. The rollout has already started...

How do you know this? Did you read an article or do you know someone that is getting simulcast? If you read an article, please post the link so we can read it.

Thank you

And... I can't take it any more. The PQ (especially on some of the locals - only two in HD, the rest in analogue), the lack of HD content (no Voom, no PBS HD), and the bizarrely engineered Moxi box are enough to send me to Dish. The final straw was my finding that the few SD channels I ever watch (Independent Film Channel, BBCA etc.) were *not* included in the supposedly "super" deal that I was offered.

If they can get through their growing pains and expand their HD line-up (including HD-On-Demand, a truly killer app for cable) then I may be back. Until then I'd rather pay the $250 for a 942 upfront and slightly more each month for more HD and the ability to record everything including OTA in HD. My install is set for 5/14 and at which point I'll return my Charter box.

CDH.

Dan Berndt said:
How do you know this? Did you read an article or do you know someone that is getting simulcast? If you read an article, please post the link so we can read it.

Thank you

I know it from talking to Charter people in my area. Some areas already have it, and I've run into people online who have it. It will make a HUGE difference in picture quality on the lower 100 channnels. I'd suggest calling Charter in your area to find out about their timetable.

But you can also read about it here:

http://www.moxifaq.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48

That website has a lot of information about the Moxi DVR boxes being used by Charter and some other cable providers.

There's also a much longer thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=412846&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Currently that thread at AVS is 135 pages long! But if you really want to know about Moxi, that's a great place. There's a forum member there that goes by the name of Moxiguy who works for Digeo and is VERY helpful and knowledgeable about the system.

Paul

Still no HD for me :-(

As a former Voomer, I have been waiting to find out about the new MPEG4 rollouts from D* and E* before I plunk down anymore $$$ for HDTV.

I currently use my VOOM boat anchor...i mean STB :D to receive my local OTA HDTV channels.

I, too, am in a Charter "dead zone" with no HDTV or even SD DVR offered for that matter. !protest !protest !protest

My wife has been begging for her Food Network back and others.

I stayed home from work for a couple of days sick and had to watch OTA during the day. OMG soaps in HD...woohoo!!!.....NOT!!! Oh and then every 5 minutes there's the personal injury lowlifes and the feminine hygeine commercials. AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

Well, looky here...I came across a new promo from Charter:

Get Charter's Biggest Value Package, including HBO®, Cinemax®, and the STARZ! SuperPak® for only $39.99 a month for 6 months!

I am all over that!

Hopefully by the end of the 6 months, D* & E* will have the mpeg4 mess straightened out and I can jump back into the foray. Hell, maybe I can even find an mpeg4 E* STB on ebay and get the HD only pack from E*.

The moral of the story: Just like back in the high school days, I can drive a POS for 6 months until the new models come out.

Goodbye VOOM customer service and hello Charter c.s.

I signed up for the above promo via Charter website. It gave me a reference number and I received a confirmation email.

It said that a CS rep would call shortly to get some additional information and arrange installation. A couple of days go by and no call. Then I check my email and there is an email from Charter that says, "I'm sorry, but service is not available in your area at this time." It was from the lead CS and not a form letter response that you usually get. (unless they usually have typos in their form letters.) :D

I had Charter at this address before I got VOOM, so I didnt quite believe that.
I called the CS number and sure enough. They do in fact service my address and they do have that promo available. So after enduring the humiliating, but obligatory credit check, they scheduled my install for early next week. :smug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)