Farthest tv station you have received?

Discussion in 'Over the Air TV By RabbitEars.Info' started by danristheman, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Scanning the Skies! Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

#41 Scott Greczkowski, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. edisonprime

edisonprime SatelliteGuys Pro

I live in Rochester, MN (in a valley as well) and once several years ago I received stations from somewhere in Nebraska. There happened to be some solar flares going on at the time.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 SatelliteGuys Master Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Forty or so years ago I remember receiving a tropo signal from a San Francisco TV station in Carlsbad New Mexico using one of the old Finco's in my avatar.

What great antennas those were and we needed them our NBC station was 72 miles away.

4. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

FINCO antennas were the best! I wish I could get my hands on one of their old "bedspring" antenna's...

5. joelwnelson

joelwnelson SatelliteGuys Family

Earlier this summer I received my all-time farthest analog or digital TV logging when WTCE (licensed to Fort Pierce; transmitter even farther south toward Jupiter) came in at the vacation home I was staying in just outside Charleston, SC. 391 miles according to Google Earth. It came in long enough to decode PSIP and briefly get a viewable picture. I was only using a Mohu Leaf indoor UHF antenna with a Hauppauge USB stick on a laptop. I also got several Orlando and Jacksonville signals there, as well as nearer Columbia, Florence, Savannah and Wilmington stations.

The farthest away I've logged TV at my current home (about 20 mi NW of downtown St. Louis) is KSMO Kansas City at about 225 miles, with runner-up KYTV Springfield/Fordland (about 176 miles). I live in a northwest-facing valley so even local reception is 1edge and impossible without a rooftop or outdoor antenna; I have an Antennas Direct UHF/VHF antenna on a 14-foot mast up the hill in the back yard for a total height of about 20-22 feet above the house. With this setup I get full-power Hannibal/Quincy FM throughout the day and usually get KHQA and WGEM TV in the early morning hours.

During the analog era I was in Nebraska 23 mi. SW of downtown Omaha and my most distant identifiable log was KWKB Iowa City when it was a WB station, at about 250 miles. I'd see shadowy black and white signals on channel 2 in particular but was never able to accurately pick any out.

6. Corrado

Corrado SatelliteGuys Pro

Furthest received here many years ago was from analog channel 5 from West Palm Beach, Florida. I was watching WNEW from NYC and the ducting brought in the Florida station clear as could be. At 100+ miles, WNEW was the only metro channel I could receive in upstate NY that was at least watchable at the time with the antenna pointed due south.

7. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb Dogs have owners, cats have staff Pub Member / Supporter

Of the 3 tuners I scan (two are mine, one belongs to a friend), the furthest signals received are the following:

In Topeka, KS: 589 miles, WAAY
    In Kansas City, MO: 443 miles, WEUX
    In Louisburg, Kansas: 474 miles, WHWC

1.png 2.png 3.png

8. jamieh1

jamieh1 SatelliteGuys Pro

From Eastern NC I’ve picked up savannah Ga and also Florida

9. localclassictvfan

localclassictvfan SatelliteGuys Pro

San Antonio from where I live in South La.

10. ken2400

ken2400 SatelliteGuys Pro

about 120 or so miles digital signal WROC from North Utica NY for around 5 mins or so. 8 bay antenna

11. DJ Lon

DJ Lon SatelliteGuys Pro

Analog days, late 70s, Milwaukee WI, Winegard VHF/UHF on roof, Alliance tennarotor...WSAV-3 Savannah, GA for about 30 minutes in the late afternoon

12. Justin Hill

Justin Hill SatelliteGuys Pro

I remember receiving WJFW NBC 12 of Rhinelander, Wisconsin (serving the Wausau market) from our house in Gillett, Wisconsin (served by the Green Bay market) back in 1996.
    It came in like a local station that evening back in 1996...

13. N5XZS

N5XZS SatelliteGuys Pro

Used to get KCRA, KTVU from California some Canadian stations skipping in Albuquerque by E layer. Back in the good old analog days!:)

14. Ypsiguy

Ypsiguy SatelliteGuys Pro

DTV-wise, Cleveland, Ohio from the Detroit metro area.

Separate names with a comma.

More...