Fate of HD Absolute

bretc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Independence, KY
I've heard hints about this before, but nothing specific. I subscribed to HD Absolute this summer. What is the plan for subscribers of that package. Will we get any new HD channels that come through? Will we have to change over to a current HD package at some point? Do we know?

Thanks guys. Love the site and spend way too much time on it.

The real question is: Which package will they decide I want? Will they cut my programming and give me the equivalent price point, or raise my bill $30 to give me the equivalent programming?

They won't automatically switch us to anything. We just won't get any new HD channels if we stick with HD only. They don't kill the HD only pkg for those who are already in it. It's called "grandfathering".

They won't automatically switch us to anything. We just won't get any new HD channels if we stick with HD only. They don't kill the HD only pkg for those who are already in it. It's called "grandfathering".

If its anything like any programming package in the past you are correct. But the rumors had to come from somewhere... whats the source of the info that suggests we will get switched to a turbo package?

I think it is nuts for a company to offer something to only new customers and not all...I can see not giving old customers free deals on equipment, or even charging a bit more for old customers to entice new customers over. But this whole new customers only can subscribe to HD only, and not current subsrcibers makes me want to tell E* to stick it.

You can also upgrade your equipment and be automatically switched to HD Bronze without even having to ask! Then call back and spend an hour trying to get your channels back only to be told you are SOL, then sign up for the more expensive HD Silver with the Platinum package.

I think it is nuts for a company to offer something to only new customers and not all...I can see not giving old customers free deals on equipment, or even charging a bit more for old customers to entice new customers over. But this whole new customers only can subscribe to HD only, and not current subsrcibers makes me want to tell E* to stick it.

amen brother, i feel the same!

pfan

They may raise the price of the HD Absolute package slightly, but the main incentive they will use to get you to switch over is if you want additional HD programming, you will have to change packages. No new HD will be added to the HD Absolute after Dec 31st. I believe they will not force anyone to change. I believe that Scott is wrong.

I thought they aren't doing the grandfathering thing.
I was told this:
Kristen said:
At this time, anyone who had the HD Absolute package before 8/1/08 has it "grandfathered" on their account. There has not been any plans to cancel this package for the customers that do have it "grandfathered".

Thank you,

Kristen...
Executive Communications
EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. dba DISH Network

Has dish ever before stopped offering a base package? I know the original HD Only package was grandfathered for a while, don't know if it still is because it was the same price as absolute with less channels.

If they do end grandfathering for absolute I would guess them to drop subs to Bronze because it is less expensive. If they changed people to a more expensive package they would have people wanting refunds if the didn't want the more expensive package.

I was under the impression your price is locked in as long as you are under contract?? Can anyone verify??

I'm gonna really miss my $40 satellite bill with locals, HD DVR and 1¢ Cinemax...
... after I switch to DirectV if/when Dish decides to either significantly raise the cost or reduce the HD channels I now enjoy with HD Absolute. FWIW The ONLY reason I'm still with Dish is the HD Absolute package.

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)