Favre reinstated!

at this point in time, i think jeff garcia can do more for the bucs than favre can. just my personal opinion.

Interesting note that both Garcia and Favre are 38 years old.

Garcia may have the edge since he's been in Gruden's system longer and will know the playbook better than Favre would be able to pickup in a month. With all things being equal though, there's no question I'd chose Favre over Garcia though.

There's no indication that Bret will either. No one (especially you) seem to realize that.

There's also no indication that Rodgers won't.

Everyone seems to think that Rodgers is a failure. How can you realistically make an assumption based on his past playing time?

Everybody has written Rodgers off. How and Why? Based on past performance?

What performance?

He couldn't beat the "Old grey Mare" I'll ask who could have?

Could a snot nosed kid, who liked to party, had major abdominal surgery in the past, NO experience, bad attitude, wreckless with ball, no discipline, and a head coach who didn't like him?

His total experience prior to arriving in GB, 2 games, 4 attempts, ZERO completions
TWO interceptions.

Ron Wolf "Saw" something in that kid and that's why he aquired him. The rest is history.

I'm not ready to write Rodgers off. He's not the next Favre, or the next Ryan Leaf (yet).

Last edited:
Well, Rodgers has failed to beat out the old grey mare. Do you really want him?

Absolutely not. If I were Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy, I would take Favre back in a second. My goodness, the man finished 2nd in MVP voting last year.

But . . . . . I understand Thompson and McCarthy's thinking. I understand their perspective. If they bring Favre back, then Aaron Rodgers will lose all respect for the Packers organization. Favre will retire in a year or two and then Rodgers will leave when his contract is up because the Packers went back on their word when they promised him the starting job. Like I posted earlier, if Favre comes back as the starter this year, the Pack will lose both Favre and Rodgers by the end of the 2009 season.

the packers, like any other reasonable team, were/are trying to prepare for life without brett. too many professional teams stick with their hero too long (miami dolphins come to mind) and then have a hell of a time trying to rebuild. the packers are trying to prepare for their future.

beside, lets get to the crux of the matter. how many of you have employers who would give you your old job back if you told them you were retiring and then changed your mind 5 months later? they would have already hired your replacement.

brett certainly has a right to unretire. but green bay (as the employer) has a right to move on without him!

Now there's a BINGO!

I am not contractually bound to my employer and neither is anyone else in the company.

We had one guy who announced last June he was retiring at the end of September. He "deserved it" he "earned it" and was well respected around hte office and within our business community.

November comes around and he's in the presidents office asking to work another year or so, maybe part time, maybe full time. He wasn't ready to retire just yet.

Guess what? He didn't get his job back. We hired his replacement 2 weeks after his announcement to retire. This old guy trained the new guy, new guy moves into his old office and is doing very well.

The old guy sued us to get his job back. Judge threw it out as havng no merit.

Brett has a right to change his mind, just not 6 times, after having been asked several times before the draft and after if he was retired he answered yes.

What would you do? I'd move on. so did the Packers.

Some keep saying he should have his job back because he followed the rules to be reinstated. Sure he did, after finally making the decision to come back.

He should have applied for reinstatement in April or May when he supposedly made his decision final, Not late July.

Too late for the Packers and him.

It wasn't too late. If the GM had allowed him to come back, he would have been there for the start of camp. IMO, this really goes back to last year when Favre made a lot of noise about getting Randy Moss. Maybe back to when Thompson let both Marco Rivera and Wahle, their starting guards, go. TT is showing Favre who's boss. There's plenty of ego to go around in this deal, some of it Favre's, but that's no excuse for not having Favre back. Thompson wants his guys and Favre is not one of them, Rodgers is. That whole thing about a free and open competition for QB was BS from the start. Rodgers was their guy and he will be their guy 'cause Favre is gone. Good luck to Thompson and McCarthy. They'll need it after this 6-10 season because the torches and pitch forks might come out in GB.

i understand he is under contract. that, i believe became null and void when he retired. when he was reinstated, the contract kicked back in. only in sports could something like this happen. if i retired and decided 5 months later, i wanted my job back....i would either be told....we hired your replacement or if there is another suitable job in the company you are qualified for, we'll consider hiring you.

that's why i believe gb was in their rights to tell brett, come back if you want but there is no guarantee you'll get your job back. why should sports athletes be treated with kit gloves?

But . . . . . I understand Thompson and McCarthy's thinking. I understand their perspective. If they bring Favre back, then Aaron Rodgers will lose all respect for the Packers organization. Favre will retire in a year or two and then Rodgers will leave when his contract is up because the Packers went back on their word when they promised him the starting job. Like I posted earlier, if Favre comes back as the starter this year, the Pack will lose both Favre and Rodgers by the end of the 2009 season.

Lance,
you absolutely nailed it. :up I don't think there is any doubt that Favre would be the better quarterback THIS year. But, what about 2009 and beyond? IMO, hypothetically if Favre were to become the Packer starting QB............they lose Aaron Rodgers forever!

It wasn't too late. If the GM had allowed him to come back, he would have been there for the start of camp. IMO, this really goes back to last year when Favre made a lot of noise about getting Randy Moss. Maybe back to when Thompson let both Marco Rivera and Wahle, their starting guards, go. TT is showing Favre who's boss. There's plenty of ego to go around in this deal, some of it Favre's, but that's no excuse for not having Favre back. Thompson wants his guys and Favre is not one of them, Rodgers is. That whole thing about a free and open competition for QB was BS from the start. Rodgers was their guy and he will be their guy 'cause Favre is gone. Good luck to Thompson and McCarthy. They'll need it after this 6-10 season because the torches and pitch forks might come out in GB.

TT is showing who's boss? Yes he is, he IS the boss, Not Favre, Not Buss Cook, Not Deanna... Ted Thompson. McCarthy is the Head coach

Brett pretty much summed it up earlier, He was upset with Thompson beacuse he didn't hire his best bud Steve Mariucci as head coach. I though that was a great move.
What Mariucci did with Detroit we didn't need here.

As a long time Packers fan I've been through this with team in the past.

Anybody else remember when Vince Lombardi "retired" and suddenly "unretired"?

Certainly, he is the boss. I'm convinced this whole thing was a sham. They had no intention of ever letting Favre back on the field as a Packer. An abdominal strain to keep him off the practice field in GB? I have no doubt he'll pass his physical fine in New York. A shabby way to treat a player who has been with them 17 years, got the Pack to two Super Bowls and a league MVP along the way. They wouldn 't need to hire professional liar Ari Fleischer to advise them on how to handle this if they had just handled it truthfully and with a little respect to a Packer legend. Packer fans will remember Favre far longer than the new Gang Green- the Packer front office-Mark Murphy, Ted Thompson, and Mike McCarthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)