FCC Approves Dish Acquisition of Sky Angel TPs at 61.5 W

Ok so I went to lyngsat to look at 61.5 and I have a few question that I couldn't find the answer to. Who owns trans #4,24,26,28,30,31. From what I could understand DISH and Sky Angel are using the rest of the trans. Also are they clearing all the international off 61.5 and moving it to 118.7. If so that would clear off about 10 trans if I was reading things correctly.

If they did move the international off that would really free space up. Also didn't R1 have steerable spotbeams.

I know you guys will have the answers.

Shawn

Shawn, you are correct. The pre launch footprint map for R1 had spotbeams all over the US. Steerable? I am not certain. The only problem I could see is if they can, and do, utilize the spot beams for locals, is that a lot of people in the west will need to aim their dish from 148 to 61.5.
Here is a link to the map posted at Tony's site.
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/rldbs1.gif

When this transaction is complete, EchoStar will own the licenses for 30 of the 32 Transponders at 61.5 and have Special Temporary Authority to use Tps 23 and 24. It is quite likely that EchoStar 6 could provide adequate service from 61.5 if need be. It is not likely that EchoStar 6 will leave its post as an in-orbit spare for 110 until EchoStar 11 is launched and in operation at 110.

EchoStar was supposed to provide additional information on its replacement plans for EchoStar 3(that is something more specific than we plan to replace it). I have not seen any info relating to this request from the FCC. The fact that there is no satellite at 61.5 which can operate on Tps 4 and 28 comes close to "stockpiling" frequencies(a situation which is frowned upon by the FCC).

Echo 3

Looks like Echo 11 is not going to be launched this year and rumors are possibly March of next year. Everything depends on Sea Launch gettng back to operational status. I would not expect any big changes on Echo 3/Rainbow until spring of next year at the earliest.

Looks like Echo 11 is not going to be launched this year and rumors are possibly March of next year. Everything depends on Sea Launch gettng back to operational status. I would not expect any big changes on Echo 3/Rainbow until spring of next year at the earliest.

There is a possibility that E-11 could be moved up on the Sea Launch schedule. It was recently reported that the first Sea Launch mission after their failure is scheduled to be the Thuraya 3 satellite. It was scheduled to launch in late October 2007 but now will slip to no earlier than mid November. Boeing built the Thuraya 3 satellite and they wanted to check to see if it has the same problem that a recently launched commerical satellite that was unnamed in the article. I believe this unnamed satellite is in fact the DirecTV-10 satellite that was also built by Boeing as was the DirecTV-11 satellite. Both the Thuraya 3 satellite and the DirecTV-11 satellite are spotbeam satellites and this was the reported problem with the DirecTV-10 satellite. If the Thuraya 3 satellite slips much farther perhaps E-11 can take its place. I know some folks might worry about having their satellite the first launched on a vehicle after a failure but usually greater care is taken to insure there are not two failures in a row.

As a side note the spotbeams on the Rainbow-1 satellite aka the E-12 satellite are not steerable.

Could you expand a little on what you mean? For example, what are you referring to when you say "stops paying"? What contract?

Thanks,
Fitzie

I'm not sure if $$$ is involved but there's a contract between SkyAngel and DishNetwork. Dish Network uses a few of their licenses for trade on uplinking the SkyAngel service on Echostar3.

Thanks Digiblur, sounds reasonable.

I read the FCC filing referenced in previous postings (and thanks for the URL). As I read it, a final letter must be sent to the FCC reporting conclusion of the deal (even though the FCC has approved the deal). That may take a few days to accomplish, especially if outside counsel is involved in any way.

Regards,
Fitzie

One thing to remember is that Dish will only "gain" the use of the TWO transponders that Sky Angel (once they vacate them) is actually using because Dish is already using the rest of the working ones as part of the deal for uplinking SA.

One thing to remember is that Dish will only "gain" the use of the TWO transponders that Sky Angel (once they vacate them) is actually using because Dish is already using the rest of the working ones as part of the deal for uplinking SA.

Yes, that is 100 correct. That means that DISH will be able to add 12 more MPEG-4 HD channels to the 61.5 satellite. According to the FCC document Sky Angel (Dominion) has 60 days to vacate the transponders. They could ask for an extension and it would likely be granted unless Echostar complains.

They have not formally notified any customers yet nor have they made IPTV receivers available in the U.S. They have provided IPTV service in Canada for a few years but it is likely that they will be using different IPTV boxes in the U.S. which may require more time to test and roll out to their customers.

Dish had a deal with Sky Angel to provide a satellite for their service. In exchange for Dish being able to use 6 of the SA 8 TPs, Dish's satellite transmitted SA's service. But, even with free satellite service, the cost of running an uplink center and programming was too much, so SA is going to discontinue service. Dish then bought the 8TPs from SA. So, a net gain of 2 TPs for Dish.

Maybe they now have the option to shuffle Sky Angle around so they can light up the spot-beams on Rainbow 1?

I'm fascinated by that bird's spot beam configuration especially since they're supposedly not used now, and it has spot beams for CONUS somehow optimized for use from 61.5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)