FCC Chaiman resigned yesterday?

Barney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Kyle in Republic of Texas
On the main page of satelliteguys there is this message:

POWELL OUT OF FCC

As was rumored this morning, FCC Chairman Michael Powell resigned today. No new Chairman has been announced however rumors are going around saying that Kevin Martin will replace Powell as chairman.

I looked at the FCC site last night & Mr Powell had a letter to the President (dated 1-21-05) saying he was to leave sometime in March.
Something happen yesterday? (besides the busy last few days with Ecostar & Rainbow/VOOM).

Barney

Heres the latest letter on the FCC site:

Powell to leave the FCC

More proof that he got his job because of his daddy.

man I'm glad he's gone. Hopefully they'll place someone in there that realizes thet the FCC has no law making ablilty, and wont fine the hell out of "offenders", when the people that complain are a very select few.

99.9% of all complaints filed in '04 with the FCC concerning television and radio were filed by the Parent Television Council.

source:
http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000731656

riggscm said:
More proof that he got his job because of his daddy.

man I'm glad he's gone. Hopefully they'll place someone in there that realizes that the FCC has no law making ability, and wont fine the hell out of "offenders", when the people that complain are a very select few.
Despite all the "bad" things that he did, he also did quite a few "good" things relating to technology. VoIP is not taxed as traditional POTS is, which is a very good thing. The RF spectrum is trying to get a little bit more organized and better managed. The FCC also has set decent guidelines regarding satellite dishes on exclusively controlled property.

With Powell, we knew basically what he has stood for. He pushed better technology although he caved in to special interests when it came to policing the content in the airwaves. The scary thing is that we don't know really who is going to replace him and what direction they want to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts