Cable Industry Threatens to Sue Over FCC Set Top Box Plan

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Over the last few weeks the cable industry has thrown an absolute hissy fit over the FCC's plan to open up the set top box to some competition. As it stands, the FCC's plan is to require cable operators to make their content available to a wide variety of third-party hardware. The goal is cheaper, better hardware and service, and to put an end to the cable industry's $20 billion annual monopoly thanks to cable set top box rental fees.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cable-Industry-Threatens-to-Sue-Over-FCC-Set-Top-Box-Plan-136795

Last edited by a moderator:
And I hope they lose.
My Cable company for a Tivo 4 room system charges over $50 per month just for the equipment .
That's Insane.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I wonder what unintended consequences will arise if the FCC gets their way on this?

I'm a satisfied Comcast customer and just want my stuff to continue to work.

Likely the companies would handle the open STB just like they did with the mandated cable card.

Don't inform the customer of the availability unless asked. Don't inform the customer of potential cost savings or charge the same for service with or without the device. Limit the OTT services that can be accessed by the 3rd party device without using the company's proprietary box. Charge additional fees to activate OTT features on 3rd party devices such as DVR service.

Reactions: Mr Tony and osu1991
It's the same thing as the ability to get your own cable "modem" for internet. I had no interest in owning my own until TWC decided to start charging $6 a month for it. At that point I got my own for $90. I've had it long enough now that it's paid for itself twice over.

Reactions: Tampa8
It's the same thing as the ability to get your own cable "modem" for internet. I had no interest in owning my own until TWC decided to start charging $6 a month for it. At that point I got my own for $90. I've had it long enough now that it's paid for itself twice over.

Same here, the Motorola 6141 was on sale for $40 a year ago and since Comcast charges $10 a month, paid for itself in 4 months.

I did the same thing when I got internet. $10 a month to rent a modem? No thanks
Found one on sale for $60 and it works just great.

Reactions: TNGTony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts