FCC: Joint Petition Filed to Deny Assignment of Licenses (Charles F Dolan)

I see a big lawsuit coming towards Charles Dolan. He may be sued by both Echostar and Cablevision.

Ok, so who is The Association of Consumers To Preserve and Promote DBS Competition? Is that us? Or is it a real non-profit group?

-John

jgantert said:
Ok, so who is The Association of Consumers To Preserve and Promote DBS Competition? Is that us? Or is it a real non-profit group?

-John

It states it in the petition if you care to read it.

I didnt think Doaln could do anything to interfere with the E* sale or else risk breaking his agreement to keep Voom alive?

Juicy, I think this effectively squashes any talk of an Echostar/Voom buyout or merger. The wording of this seems to be very deliberate and thought out. This strikes me as coming from a company (Voom HD LLC) that intends to fight this tooth and nail.

Good read, once you get past all the legal repetitiveness..

vurbano said:
I didnt think Doaln could do anything to interfere with the E* sale or else risk breaking his agreement to keep Voom alive?
The last attachment states that cablevision has not accepted any offers from VOOM HD, LLC. This may be why he is going this route. If he breaks up the sale, then they really have limited choices (shut down and take all the loses or sell to him).

The main complaint also seems to say that if the FCC put them up for auction that Voom HD, LLC would be ready, willing and able to participate in that process.

From the petition:

VOOM HD is in the process of obtaining financial commitments from its controlling investors in the amount of $400 million in cash and credit...

It is interesting to note that they keep talking about the transponders and wanting to buy the frequencies, not R-1... Perhaps they want the 11 TPs and want to launch a cheap satellite?

Unfortunately this can only serve to hinder the whole process and also indicates that Chuck is now desperate and has not secured financing nor support from any avenue. This doesn't look good at all to me... :no

The problem with all of this is it might force James Dolan's hand in shutting down Voom, based on agreement with Echostar he has to help the sale along ( his father also, but we know better then that ) so if he shuts down Voom fast and in a few months when the FCC looks at all these comments about denying the sale because of Voom, if there is no Voom what is the use in denying the sale/transfer.

I always thought and posted that Mr.Dolan should have waited this out based on the FCC saying that D* and E* can not bid on those transponders at 61.5 for four years, they could and should turn down the sale anyways, but now with this, the lawyers are going to get more involved with the lawsuits I think we all can see coming.

mike123abc said:
It is interesting to note that they keep talking about the transponders and wanting to buy the frequencies, not R-1...
That's simply because this is what FCC can allow or deny: transfer of licenses and authorizations, not the ownership of the satellite itself. But the way I understand it, if the license transfer is denied, the sale of the satellite is dead too.

DucTape, it doesn’t strike me as remotely desperate. If you were in the process of securing 400 million dollars would you describe yourself as desperate? He makes no assertion to how far along in the process he is. It could be as far away as asking the first bank or as close as picking up the last check.

B.Greenway said:
DucTape, it doesn’t strike me as remotely desperate. If you were in the process of securing 400 million dollars would you describe yourself as desperate?

I'm always in the process of securing 400m, just never seem to be able to finish the process :)

riffjim4069 said:
Read it here. This is 53 pages and filling with all sorts of good information to include customer comments.

Great research and great post. This is the stuff I stay in this forum for.
Thank you.
Now to find out how to join the The Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS Competition (ACPPDC).

I may be the only one, but methinks this is a great thing. If the FCC denies the transfer, it simply means CV has no option but to negotiate with Voom HD, LLC. to sell the whole enchilada.

It also means the shutdown costs would skyrocket, again benefitting a sale to Voom HD, LLC.

Now I am waiting to hear CV's response. More to come of "As the Voom Turns"!

Ilya said:
That's simply because this is what FCC can allow or deny: transfer of licenses and authorizations, not the ownership of the satellite itself. But the way I understand it, if the license transfer is denied, the sale of the satellite is dead too.

The option to kill the deal if the license transfer is denied is really held by Echostar. If Echostar really wanted the Rainbow-1 satellite, they could still agree to the deal. As I have posted elsewhere, Echostar could request a transponder (TP) swap with the FCC. Echostar would get the 11 TPs that Rainbow-1 can use and give the FCC the 11 TPs that they currently have license for at 61.5 W. This would allow Echostar to use the spotbeam capability of Rainbow-1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts