FCC limit on leased receivers

...Just a poor choice of wording.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of that going around. Dish has a lot of CSRs, some that know their stuff, and some that must just be there for the paycheck. There's a reason we've all heard the term "CSR roulette".

I was once told by a CSR that my 211k wasn't capable of receiving OTA signals without an HD dish that could see 129° (I had a D500 at the time). His reasoning was that some OTA channels are in HD and the receiver needed a signal that was present only on 129 to activate the HD capabilities. I could almost hear his jaw hit the floor when I told him I was already watching an HD channel on it right now. What's the channel number... 5710... long silence... I'll be right back... LOL.

Recently, I received one of those "urgent, call us now" letters. It was because something in their system wanted to make sure I had the proper dish to receive the channels I wanted. I knew I was OK because I currently have a 1000.2, which is what you see on just about every other house in my area. I knew they didn't know what dish I had because I bought & self installed all the equipment. I figured I'd call so that they could put in their records what dish I have & prevent future flags from going up. It should just take a few minutes to set the record straight... right?

The first thing she wanted to do was send out a Tech. I told her that wasn't going to happen. My home is kept behind a locked gate & as a business owner, I wasn't gonna take a day from work to wait on a Tech. So I asked what satellites my dish needed to see according to her records. After several more minutes of holding, she came back and said 110/119/129. I told her that's what I had already.

After more holding, she comes back and says "OK Mr. XXX, we're going to go ahead and send a Tech out. The only thing you'll have to pay for is..." I cut her off at that point and asked why was she going to send a Tech when we already had established that I had what I needed. She put me on hold again. Believe it or not, this is the shortened version of the story. This actually went on for more than 35 minutes. All she wanted to do was send a Tech... no matter what I did or didn't need.

Here's how the call should have went. Hello, I got this notice in the mail. We need to confirm what satellites your receiver can see. 110, 119, and 129. OK, thank you Mr. XXX. I'll make a note of that in your account. It should've taken 3 minutes... tops.

So when I hear that a CSR confuses tuners with TVs, or blames the FCC for an internal company rule... it doesn't surprise me at all.

Some Dish CSRs are really good, but sometimes it takes more than one call to find one of those. I'm just really glad for the Dish team here at Sat Guys, and the ability to maintain your account online. :)

Cheers

Curiously Why Are you using 722's on one TV? A 612 has 2 tuners, 3 if you count ota. With one tv what does a 722 allow that a 612 does not. I actually sent a 622 back and exchanged it for a 612 to save 7 dollars a months in rental fees.

722= PIP 612=No PIP

On the 722 question...a 722 and a 612 cost the same per month. Its not uncommon to go to a 1 room install with a 722 rcvr.

The 722 also has a much larger hard drive

I Call BS!!
Its a New dish policy max 3 on one account. or 6 boxes 3 leased 3 purchased. after your 6 boxes (12tv's ) you have to get a whole new account and pay twice.

This FCC biz is a lie as directv i have installed 31 hd tvs all leased boxes and one account.

I was the agent that had quoted the FCC ruling and I am awaiting clarification. It was something I was told when I started at Dish and had no reason to question up to this point. The OP was processed for the upgrade today. I will find out why there is a 3 leased receiver limit on the accounts but it is entirely possible was I was misinformed. Sorry about the confusion!

Update: Leased receiver rule is Dish Network as per our Residential Service Agreement. I stand corrected!

Last edited:
Good show Mary. I know each account is case by case . good customers bad customer payments and last contract but dish policy is 3 max it was 4 at one time and i do know you can still get 4 as i have had a previous customer get 4 leased 722 on his account 3 from us and one from dish 2 years after (2 months ago)

Mary, thanks for clearing that up. Honesty goes a very long way. :)
I hate it when I am wrong, but when I am wrong, I say I am wrong!! The OP's account was only the second account that I have ever come across at DISH that was in violation of the policy and the last time I was given incorrect information as to why. I tell everyone that I learn so much from this site and all the members!!

I hate it when I am wrong, but when I am wrong, I say I am wrong!! The OP's account was only the second account that I have ever come across at DISH that was in violation of the policy and the last time I was given incorrect information as to why. I tell everyone that I learn so much from this site and all the members!!

Kudos to you for your honesty MaryB!We are all only human after all:)

On the 722 question...a 722 and a 612 cost the same per month. Its not uncommon to go to a 1 room install with a 722 rcvr.

The 722 also has a much larger hard drive
True on the hard drive size, but you really need to issue the rather large caveat that only as the primary receiver do they have the same costs/mo. As an additional receiver, the 612 is $10/mo and the 722 is $17/mo.

MaryB: it is quite entirely possible that among the ton of stuff you had to learn, somewhere along the way someone at Dish may have been referring to the FCC's authority regarding the number of earth stations Dish (and DirecTV) can manufacture, as well as the STB's, I believe, as they are part of the functioning earth station, and you just got it confused years later. That has happened to me a lot. The FCC mandates that Dish keep the licenses for all those installed earth stations on file at Dish. In other words, there is a lot of FCC mandates Dish, at almost every lever, must deal with and confusion is only human.

Love your honesty, Mary B.

TheKrell said:
True on the hard drive size, but you really need to issue the rather large caveat that only as the primary receiver do they have the same costs/mo. As an additional receiver, the 612 is $10/mo and the 722 is $17/mo.

True. I also stand corrected

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)