ANYWAY TO VIEW PROGRAMS STORED ON 722 EHD

TexasWriter

Original poster
May 20, 2011
Houston, TX
I've had DISH for years. I have programs stored on a 722 external hard drive. I'm leaving the country for awhile so giving up my DISH account. I realize it's a proprietary data stream decoded by the DISH dvr on my account alone, but is there anyway to view these programs on my PC or perhaps using another DISH dvr down the road? Thanks, John

This is a great question you asked, TexasWriter! You can't transfer from the hard drive to the PC with an external hard drive, unless you know how to extract the data from one hard drive to another. The data on the external hard drive is there and you will be able to use it when you get another receiver if it's the same type. If you get a different type, the hard drive will reformat and you'll lose everything.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is the HD PVR Product overview that you can use while you still have your Dish account. Once your Dish account is terminated and your receivers sent back you will not be able to view the programming on the EHD(s).

The encryption key is tied to your current account. If you close the account you will not be able to retrieve the programming. You will not be able to use a new dish account to access the data.

This is a great question you asked, TexasWriter! You can't transfer from the hard drive to the PC with an external hard drive, unless you know how to extract the data from one hard drive to another. The data on the external hard drive is there and you will be able to use it when you get another receiver if it's the same type. If you get a different type, the hard drive will reformat and you'll lose everything.

Hope that helps!

This has lots of wrong info in it. See Mike's post above.

Also, if your account remains open, you can use any VIP receiver on your own account to read your EHD. Doesn't have to be the same type.

Last edited:
...The data on the external hard drive is there and you will be able to use it when you get another receiver if it's the same type. If you get a different type, the hard drive will reformat and you'll lose everything.

Hope that helps!

I hope that info helps him too but it's left me confused about something I thought I had just cleared up. What does it mean "different type" of receiver? Say a person has an EHD full of programming on a 622. If that person (me) were to upgrade to a 922 it sounds like you're saying the EHD would need to format and all the programming on it would be lost. I hope I'm just misunderstanding...

I hope that info helps him too but it's left me confused about something I thought I had just cleared up. What does it mean "different type" of receiver? Say a person has an EHD full of programming on a 622. If that person (me) were to upgrade to a 922 it sounds like you're saying the EHD would need to format and all the programming on it would be lost. I hope I'm just misunderstanding...

He's wrong. You are right.

More bad info from a Dish CSR........what a shocker.

The post was incorrect. You cannot retrieve the information off the EHD no matter which receiver you use if the receiver is not on your current account. The EHDs are encrypted with a key that is randomly made for each account. This allows you to move the EHDs between receivers (like 622/722/922) on your account and still be able to see the programming. If you take your EHD to a friends house it will not work because they have a different Dish account and a different encryption key. If you cancel your Dish account your account, the key will be lost and your EHD programming is gone. You can of course use the EHD again on a computer or a new Dish account, but your new Dish account will not have the same encryption key so it will reformat the drive and it will be a new empty drive.

There is no way to watch the programs on the EHD after you cancel programming. The only thing you can do, and this will only help you if you own your receiver and do not have to return it to Dish, is transfer the EHD recordings back to your receiver. You will still be able to watch the recordings on the receiver, even if you cancel your Dish account.

MikeL DISH said:

Hope that helps!

Unless they are from the "official dish team" that posts on this site, people should be very careful when taking advice from those who claim to be "in the know" when it comes to information about Dish and how things work...

Well the information was a little vague, but by "same type" I assume he means DVR vs non-DVR. The 211/211k non-DVRs can also use an EHD but they are not compatible with the 612/622/722/722k/922 EHD without a reformat.

I believe OP could pause their DISH account if they don't want their EHD to lose shows/movies. As for viewing the EHD though, if the receiver has no sat signal and authorization from an active account then it will not function. Programs on the DVR itself can be viewed for a limited amount of time until the receiver deactivates itself from lack of sat connection.

Unless they are from the "official dish team" that posts on this site, people should be very careful when taking advice from those who claim to be "in the know" when it comes to information about Dish and how things work...

well lets see
His name is in red (which means DIRT team)
below his name it says "Official DISH Network Support" which only admin can add
He has the "Dish Internal Response Team" logo in the right corner

so gee...I wonder if he works for Dish :rolleyes:

He may be a DIRT member but he doesn't seem to have as much experience as the other 3 members that are usually on here. You can probably tell by the number of posts. He only has about 45 posts while the other 3 have hundreds of posts each.

Last edited:
I would just like to clarify a few things.
1. EHD's can be moved between like recievers active on the same account. DVR receivers (612, 622, 722, 722k and 922) vs. non-DVR (211, 211k and 411) but not between groups.

2. When the account is disconnected, you can indeed move recordings off the EHD to the DVR and watch them but if the receiver has to be returned to Dish Network, you will have a limited time to be able to access this.

3. If the account is disconnected and then later another account is established with the same type of receiver, the EHD if used will be forced to re-format and lose all content on that drive.

TexasWriter, you could just vidcap the shows to your PC or find them online. Much easier to deal with.

well lets see
His name is in red (which means DIRT team)
below his name it says "Official DISH Network Support" which only admin can add
He has the "Dish Internal Response Team" logo in the right corner

so gee...I wonder if he works for Dish :rolleyes:

Well let's see
on my droid phone his name isn't in red
below his name doesn't say "official Dish Network" anything
and Dish internal Response team logo isn't there either
so gee..I guess you can just bite me ice! :rolleyes:

Slamminc11 said:
Well let's see

Yeah, kinda get tired of all the answers with attitude too when people assume every one uses a computer.

Assume= only makes an A$$ out of U and Me.

Slamminc11 said:
Well let's see

None of this shows up on my iPhone either. Matt,Tony, and Mary, show as DIRT members, but not this Mike guy. Up until now, I honestly thought he was an impostor.

To the OP, if you can get your hands on a pocket dish, you can use it to archive as many shows as you'd like on your pc and you can always play them back later on your tv with it as well. Huge caveat though, it's SD only and WA only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts