FCC News Release - FCC TAKES ACTION TO UNLEASH VIDEO INNOVATION AND CONSUMER CHOICE

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 21, 2010

Washington, D.C.: The Federal Communications Commission acted today to promote
innovation and consumer choice in the video device marketplace by issuing a Notice of Inquiry (NOI) and a Fourth Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM), as recommended in the National Broadband Plan.

The NOI seeks to better serve the goals of Congress in creating a competitive retail market for navigation devices for use with multichannel video programming distributors (MVPD).

The FNPRM proposes changes to the current CableCard system to make
it more consumer-friendly while a new technology approach is being developed.

Consumers are increasingly accessing video from multiple sources, including MVPD
services, the Internet, DVDs, and over-the-air broadcasting.

The NOI seeks input on ways to foster a more competitive marketplace for navigation devices and in particular calls for comment on a standardized interface that enables smart video devices to bring video from all of these sources together for ease of selection, recording, and viewing.

The standardized interface could be implemented through an “AllVid” adapter that would act as an intermediary between the consumer’s device and the MVPD’s service.

The service provider would be free to innovate within its network to improve its services, without requiring replacement of the consumer’s home devices and a consumer could switch from one provider to another and continue to use the
same smart video devices.

The FNPRM proposes to remedy shortcomings in the existing CableCARD system, to provide consumers with better service in the interim before the new AllVid approach is in place.

In order to remove the disparity between consumers who choose to use a retail CableCARDequipped video device and those who lease a cable provider’s video navigation box, the proposed interim measures would:

(1) Ensure that retail devices have comparable access to video programming that is prescheduled by the programming provider;

(2) Make CableCARD pricing and billing more transparent;

(3) Streamline CableCARD installations; and

(4) Clarify certification requirements.

Action by the Commission: Chairman Genachowski and Commissioners Copps,
McDowell, Clyburn and Baker issuing separate statements. April 21, 2010, by Notice of Inquiry (FCC 10-60). MB Docket No. 10-91; CS Docket No. 97-80; PP Docket No. 00-67.

Action by the Commission: Chairman Genachowski and Commissioners Copps,
McDowell, Clyburn and Baker issuing separate statements. April 21, 2010, by
Fourth Further

Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FCC 10-61). CS Docket No. 97-80; PP Docket No. 00-67.

For further information, Brendan Murray (202-418-1573; brendan.murray@fcc.gov); or

Alison Neplokh (202-418-1083; alison.neplokh@fcc.gov).

The reason I am posting this to the FTA forums is because this is a "NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING". For those that do not understand the FCC regulatory process this means they want to hear YOUR comments now on this subject, and this would be a good time to mention the two companies in C Band land that refuse to sell programing, or make set top boxes for C Band for consumers that are modern.

We all know which companies I am speaking of.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-61A1.pdf

D. Filing Requirements
27. Pursuant to sections 1.415 and 1.419 of the Commission’s rules, 47 CFR §§ 1.415, 1.419, interested parties may file comments and reply comments on or before the dates indicated on the first page of this document. Comments may be filed using: (1) the Commission’s Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS), (2) the Federal Government’s eRulemaking Portal, or (3) by filing paper copies. See Electronic Filing of Documents in Rulemaking Proceedings, 63 FR 24121 (1998).

? Electronic Filers: Comments may be filed electronically using the Internet by accessing the ECFS: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs2/ or the Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov.

? Paper Filers: Parties who choose to file by paper must file an original and four copies of each filing. If more than one docket or rulemaking number appears in the caption of this proceeding, filers must submit two additional copies for each additional docket or rulemaking number.

Filings can be sent by hand or messenger delivery, by commercial overnight courier, or by first-class or overnight U.S. Postal Service mail. All filings must be addressed to the Commission’s Secretary, Office of the Secretary, Federal Communications Commission.

? Effective December 28, 2009, all hand-delivered or messenger-delivered paper filings for the Commission’s Secretary must be delivered to FCC Headquarters at 445 12th St., SW, Room TW-A325, Washington, DC 20554. All hand deliveries must be held together

Are they even addressing satellite companies? I suspect that this is strictly aimed at cable operators, who are flagrantly violating the spirit of the existing law by introducing new technologies for which there are no third-party receivers.

Are they even addressing satellite companies? I suspect that this is strictly aimed at cable operators, who are flagrantly violating the spirit of the existing law by introducing new technologies for which there are no third-party receivers.
I believe this round will attempt to close the cablecard issues this year, while the next round (National Broadband Plan) will require all MVPD (cable, telcos and satellite) provide customers with an gateway device based on open-standards starting in 2012.

"The NOI seeks to better serve the goals of Congress in creating a competitive retail market for navigation devices for use with multichannel video programming distributors (MVPD)."

"The service provider would be free to innovate within its network to improve its services, without requiring replacement of the consumer’s home devices and a consumer could switch from one provider to another and continue to use the
same smart video devices."

This looks to me that all providers will be impacted with the cable companies getting hit harder than the others as they talk about the cable card. Last I knew, navigation devices were satellite devices. That said, I wonder what would happen if the FCC was literely inundated with things like, "I want to pick and choose what I want to sub to." and, "I want to be able to sub with my fta receiver that has a card slot. Let me be able to purchase channels and send me an access card for those channels like they do in Europe.". I am going to write a novel about what kind of rules are needed to make the provider business very competitive from a consumer standpoint. There is strength in numbers. Have a great day!

> That said, I wonder what would happen if the FCC was literely inundated with things like, "I want to pick and choose what I want to sub to." and, "I want to be able to sub with my fta receiver that has a card slot.

Thats why you need to comment with a well worded response to this proposal. It is NOT set in stone and if enough people comment about a specific issue they (The commission) can amend it BEFORE its sending up to become law. NOW is the time to comment. Do not worry if you THINK that is will not address the satellite providers, that is for the commission to decide.

Comment now to THEM.

OK call me stupid, but I have no idea who the C band non-providers are.
Years ago, I had a great ala carte package that was very affordable. I don't recall the company only that DISH paid me to switch to their service. Big mistake.

The two makers of satellite set top boxes are Motorola (GI) and Cisco (Scientific Atlanta)

Companies like HITS have programming up on multiple satellites but are unable to sell us programming with the exception of W5 because there are no consumer level set top boxes, or authorization centers setup for consumers to use commercial receivers.

> That said, I wonder what would happen if the FCC was literely inundated with things like, "I want to pick and choose what I want to sub to." and, "I want to be able to sub with my fta receiver that has a card slot.

Thats why you need to comment with a well worded response to this proposal. It is NOT set in stone and if enough people comment about a specific issue they (The commission) can amend it BEFORE its sending up to become law. NOW is the time to comment. Do not worry if you THINK that is will not address the satellite providers, that is for the commission to decide.

Comment now to THEM.
I sent my reply last week. Specifically, I would love to have additional (and affordable) set-top choices to use with my FiOS TV services - besides Tivo and Moxi. But my comments apply equally to DBS! Heck, I still have three Dish Network 622 HD DVRs sitting in the closet - great receivers, but utterly useless with Dish Network's [horrible picture quality] service. It's about time brought Satellite into the fold as the FCC proposal effects all MVPDs (i.e., Cable, Satellite and Telcos).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)