FCC REPORT ON DTV AVAILIBILTY HERES THE STORY

Multi-path (ghosting) kills digital signals. Too much signal kills digital reception. It is counterintuitive! If you live under a DTV transmission tower or in an area with very strong signal, you may only need a paper clip shoved in the RF jack of your TV to get perfect picture! I have to have my directional indoor antenna pointed AWAY from the local towers to get the best, most stable signal. And no it's not picking up a "bounced" signal. :)

When I tell people to put DOWN the rabbit ear antennas to get a more stable picture, they usually look at me like I am telling them to set their baby on fire and put it in a cannon and fire it at their neighbor's house! Then after I have them humor me and try it, they usually find that it works! Too much signal is just as bad as not enough.

See ya
Tony

Another part of the reason why coverage areas are changing is that many broadcasters are taking the opportunity to relocate their transmitters. Another example from here in the LA area is KJLA, whose analog tranmitter is on Red Mountain in Ventura. Their analog channel is, at best, a rim shot signal in to the LA market, and I can not receive it here in the Inland Empire without the help of some tropo ducting. Now that has changed with their digital channel. Their digital license permits them to transmit from Mt. Wilson, the main transmitter site for Los Angeles, as long as they still serve their primary licensed community of Ventura. That is kind of a long shot from Mt. Wilson to Ventura, but they apparently get it done somehow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)