FCC to sell c band spectrum

The FCC is planning to use a 1934 law as basis of taking spectrum from satellite operators that they already sold to them?? Imagine that. FDR-era legislation for the win again... The biggest statist this country has had. Closest thing to a dictator we had. The spectrum is already sold. It shouldn't be up for grabs unless the people holding usage rights decide to auction it (which sounds like they are willing). They (sat operators) just don't want the FCC to eat all of the billions for themselves.

I'm not trying to harp on this, but we all know just how reliable C-Band is for rural telecom systems. These ideas of replacing the the C-Band uplinks with fiber are laughable. I'll believe it when I see it. ISPs have been claiming fiber is just around the corner for years. The amount of infrastructure that still needs to be built is outrageous. We are probably 10 years from having fiber being able to replace C-band... AT LEAST!

Last edited:
Reactions: truckracer
I can have fun with this. So with 5G there is three main sets of frequencies used but will mention the millimeter wavelengths and the most common one today. F1 and F2 for simplicity. F1 is what T Mobile and most of the others are setting up (600 mhz etc.) and is about the same as 4G LTE. The "true" 5G is F2 (millimeter wavelengths) where there is major increase of speed. F2 is so prone to interference that if your head gets between the phone and line of sight that you would lose signal or have some issues at the least. AirGig is one of the only use case that I have seen that is realistic for F2. F2 does not do distance that well neither at such low power. WISPs would have issues at distances that the standard 2.4ghz equipment can achieve when using 5G F2. F2 is more suited for last mile or static applications than mobile. Right now 5G is all marketing. Where mobile F2 is available, the speeds are crazy fast but the network is not yet saturated therefore not a realistic long-term expectation. F2 is not realistic for rual use expecially in areas with many trees or long distances. Here is a good podcast episode on 5G tech: 5G Fundamentals . If I got something wrong please correct me.

Reactions: truckracer
The FCC is planning to use a 1934 law as basis of taking spectrum from satellite operators that they already sold to them?? Imagine that. FDR-era legislation for the win again... The biggest statist this country has had. Closest thing to a dictator we had. The spectrum is already sold. It shouldn't be up for grabs unless the people holding usage rights decide to auction it (which sounds like they are willing). They (sat operators) just don't want the FCC to eat all of the billions for themselves.

I'm not trying to harp on this, but we all know just how reliable C-Band is for rural telecom systems. These ideas of replacing the the C-Band uplinks with fiber are laughable. I'll believe it when I see it. ISPs have been claiming fiber is just around the corner for years. The amount of infrastructure that still needs to be built is outrageous. We are probably 10 years from having fiber being able to replace C-band... AT LEAST!
In Alaska, many villages will never see fiber. It does exist in a few areas. All other telecommunications are via satellite, there is an exemption in Alaska from the 5G frequency grab I am told, along with Puerto Rico and Hawaii.

In Alaska, many villages will never see fiber. It does exist in a few areas. All other telecommunications are via satellite, there is an exemption in Alaska from the 5G frequency grab I am told, along with Puerto Rico and Hawaii.
There are many areas of the CONUS as well that may never see fiber because of the low population density. Seems corporations are using the funds earmarked for rural infrastructure on buying out competitors instead. Every time I see reduced competition, I see poorer customer service.

Tell me about it NM always been a poor state.:confused:

Most of this state is rural areas more than any things else.

Lack of broadband services is no excuse here in state of New Mexico!:(

I can have fun with this. So with 5G there is three main sets of frequencies used but will mention the millimeter wavelengths and the most common one today. F1 and F2 for simplicity. F1 is what T Mobile and most of the others are setting up (600 mhz etc.) and is about the same as 4G LTE. The "true" 5G is F2 (millimeter wavelengths) where there is major increase of speed. F2 is so prone to interference that if your head gets between the phone and line of sight that you would lose signal or have some issues at the least. AirGig is one of the only use case that I have seen that is realistic for F2. F2 does not do distance that well neither at such low power. WISPs would have issues at distances that the standard 2.4ghz equipment can achieve when using 5G F2. F2 is more suited for last mile or static applications than mobile. Right now 5G is all marketing. Where mobile F2 is available, the speeds are crazy fast but the network is not yet saturated therefore not a realistic long-term expectation. F2 is not realistic for rual use expecially in areas with many trees or long distances. Here is a good podcast episode on 5G tech: 5G Fundamentals . If I got something wrong please correct me.
Sounds correct by my knowledge. I know 5GHz wifi has faster download speeds with more bandwidth and limited range compared to 2.4GHz wifi. But I still use 2.4GHz because my ISP only can provide 50 mbps. When I lived in the city, I used 5GHz because of less congestion on the band.

There are many areas of the CONUS as well that may never see fiber because of the low population density. Seems corporations are using the funds earmarked for rural infrastructure on buying out competitors instead. Every time I see reduced competition, I see poorer customer service.
It may appear that way, but for the LEC's their support from the Connect America Fund ( renamed several years back) is performance based. They can collect once they deliver the download speeds required by the program for the service area they are in. They can't just pocket money without doing anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts