Fed up with dish hd.

ww2154

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I was watching the hd channels this morning, home and garden and hd news look like the bit rate has been turned down or something while the hd ppv movie bloodrayne looks great. All hd channels should have the same bit rate,we pay extra for the hd channels so in a way they are ppv. I've had dish hd for two years and the hd quality has gone down. The 1st college football game I watched when I first got hd was Georgia vs South Carolina and the picture then was great, they play today I bet the picture will not be as good two years later and it should be better than two years ago. I hope dish will do something about hd quality.

Was those replies really necessary? He is stating the quality if Dish HD has gone down over time? What is wrong with what ww2154 is expressing?

Everyone is delivering HD-lite quality right now until they get bandwidth issues resolved. Cable is FAR WORSE for HD picture quality than satellite -- cable compresses the hell out of its signal.

By the end of the decade, things should improve -- better compression codecs, better receivers, more sats in the sky and more widespread 1080p sets with users demanding better resolution and bitrates.

The original VOOM quality was INCREDIBLE before they went belly up as a full service.

Hang in their with Dish -- they are the best of the bunch at this point in time.

David Dietzel said:
Everyone is delivering HD-lite quality right now until they get bandwidth issues resolved. Cable is FAR WORSE for HD picture quality than satellite -- cable compresses the hell out of its signal.

I love it when people make statements like this, they've actually gone and checked the HD PQ on every cable system in the US? I don't know how many times this has to be said, all cable systems are not alike, even within the same company. I had Comcast before I moved in June and their HD PQ was very good. This was on a system that had recently been rebuilt so that have the bandwidth capacity. Maybe your system's PQ sucks but don't say all cable PQ is horrible since that is NOT a true statement.

David Dietzel said:

By the end of the decade, things should improve -- better compression codecs, better receivers, more sats in the sky and more widespread 1080p sets with users demanding better resolution and bitrates.

The original VOOM quality was INCREDIBLE before they went belly up as a full service.

Hang in their with Dish -- they are the best of the bunch at this point in time.
I know dish is the best, I just wish the hd quality I had when I first started getting it two years ago was the same.

ww2154 said:
I know dish is the best, I just wish the hd quality I had when I first started getting it two years ago was the same.

Of course you do.

But E* also provides what, 25 more HD channels today (with a bunch more coming in the next few months); are you really going to have that amount of choice with cable? And will the PQ be much different?

rockymtnhigh said:
Of course you do.

But E* also provides what, 25 more HD channels today (with a bunch more coming in the next few months); are you really going to have that amount of choice with cable? And will the PQ be much different?
I staying with dish, they are the best, I guess fed up was not a good choice of words.

Wow! A poster has a valid concern about the quality of his DishHD service (after 2 years of HD service mind you), posts examples, and states his desire for E* to restore the picture quality....and some people flame him for having an opinion. For shame, for shame, for shame.:eek:

Does DishHD provide the most bang for the buck...yes, they still do! But is the DishHD viewing experience getting worse...yes! At some point they are going to lose thier competitive edge if they don't right the ship.

riffjim4069 said:
Wow! A poster has a valid concern about the quality of his DishHD service (after 2 years of HD service mind you), posts examples, and states his desire for E* to restore the picture quality....and some people flame him for having an opinion. For shame, for shame, for shame.:eek:

Does DishHD provide the most bang for the buck...yes, they still do! But is the DishHD viewing experience getting worse...yes! At some point they are going to lose thier competitive edge if they don't right the ship.

Where's the flame towards the OP?

HD Issues

Having istalled a lot of HD, picture quality depends a lot on what tv you are using. They are not all the same. Try compairing the picture to a samsung 51" DLP which downconverts form 1080i to 720i and produces a quality picture.
There are a lot of tv's out there that do a horible job. That includes plasma and lcd. Unfornatuly many customers don't mind spending big bucks for a hdtv and then bitch that they have to pay extra for programming.:)

David Dietzel said:

Dave I totally agree! As a past VOOMER myself I still miss that PQ, but also glad DISH HD is available for what would we do for HD programing? It surely is not D* at the present and I was looking forward to replacing my H10-250 DirecTivo DVR with the latest H20 DVR, but no one seems happy yet with it as we all are with the VIP 622.

We may all complain but presently we have the best available in HD, but improvements can be made and should be. Having both D* & E* HD I would really be complaining if I only had Directv, but many of their customers are waiting for next year (Summer). Don't understand that. Nothing wrong with complaining but DISH is the best at present, and I'm glad they supply 30 HD channels to justify my investment in HD.

rickaren said:
Dave I totally agree! As a past VOOMER myself I still miss that PQ, but also glad DISH HD is available for what would we do for HD programing? It surely is not D* at the present and I was looking forward to replacing my H10-250 DirecTivo DVR with the latest H20 DVR, but no one seems happy yet with it as we all are with the VIP 622.

We may all complain but presently we have the best available in HD, but improvements can be made and should be. Having both D* & E* HD I would really be complaining if I only had Directv, but many of their customers are waiting for next year (Summer). Don't understand that. Nothing wrong with complaining but DISH is the best at present, and I'm glad they supply 30 HD channels to justify my investment in HD.

But some of the channels aren't in true HD.

I'm not saying that you would notice the difference between it's current state and full resolution; But by accepting quantity over quality it's all a matter time before Dish HD channels turn into the sorry state of PQ that the SD channels are currently in.

Kaydigi said:
Check the 2nd and 3rd post in this thread.

Ah, just the usual comments from folks when someone says they're leaving provider XXX for something else. I stopped considering them flames, just BS. Thanks

rockymtnhigh said:
Of course you do.

Please stop calling HDLite channel and HD channel. We need to stop giving that crap acceptance by calling it HD

riffjim4069 said:

Agreed 100%

Don't let the HD-liteheads get you down.

I am left wondering if they sit there watching some of the sub-standard HD and don't even notice it. I wonder how bad it has to be before they do notice it.

As far as Dish being the HD Leader, well, shouldn't one actually have HD if they are going to be recognized as the leader?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts