Fee, based on account history?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phroz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Maine
Before I can lease a DVR (or another standard receiver for that matter) I've been told that I'm required to pay a $120 deposit on top of the receiver cost, and the website confirms this ("Fee Based on Account History $120.00") when going through the order process.

Anyone have any insight on who is required to pay the deposit? I can't find anything on the DirecTV website mentioning it*, and none of the CSRs I've spoken with have been able to tell me why, only that I am. I've been a customer for nearly 6 years and the bill is always paid in full. I wasn't required to pay this deposit last year when I got my second receiver, so I guess this is something that started recently...

*I've seen a mention of deposit if you don't pass a credit check, but I assume that would only be for new customers.

It has to do with the Hearts Program. There might be some threads about it still around. Basically, most D* customers have either 1, 3, or 5 hearts based on life of the account, how much is spent per month, and account payment history. Any 1 heart customer is required to pay the additional $120 upon upgrading. They should've mentioned that you'll get a $10 credit on your bill for the next 12 months to counter the upgrade fee.

Ahh, okay that makes sense. I remember reading about the hearts, but I've never actually heard of anyone having 1 heart.

I feel special now. :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.