3lnb, 5lnb, at9, what?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

godzooky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
forgive my ignorance, but after reading these forums for a while, it appears there are different dishes one can use to receive hd. what are the differences between them? can you request a specific dish when upgrading to hd?

The 3LNB is the oval dish which is probably present in a majority of the D* installations today. The 3LNB is able to receive current national HD programming, but not the HD Locals currently being deployed by D*.

The 5LNB and AT9 are one in the same. This dish has all the capabilities the 3LNB has, but it is also able to receive HD locals. HD locals are available in many major cities right now and D* is still rolling them out to new cities. The AT9 is also necessary for receiving the new HD nationals that D* will begin broadcasting in 2007, so at this point it makes more sense to go with the AT9 if you're interested in HD programming. Also, in order to utilize the signals from the new sats that the AT9 receives, you'll need the new H20 receiver as older receivers are not compatible with the MPEG4 signal broadcasted by the new sats. Older receivers will still work with the AT9, you just need the H20 if you want HD locals at this point and new HD nationals in the future.

If you call D* to upgrade, they'll probably give you an AT9 if you're in a market that currently has HD locals offered by D*. I don't know if the AT9 is standard for all HD installs yet.

Last edited:
Directv requires all dealers to install the AT9 for new HD installs since Dec 2005. Some dealers are cheating on the system by installing Phase 3 dishes. I ran across an instance yesterday where a Directv HSP installer tried to get away with an 18" install with a HR10-250.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)