Fee for drop VOOM

insul1n

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
South Georgia
This is crazy...I chatted with Dish to drop from Ultimate to Essentials HD pack since they removed Voom and they tried to charge me a $5 "downgrade fee" Here is the transcript of the chat...luckily he waived it, but I was furious when told I was going to have to pay $5 because Dish dropped all of the channels..

03) Gregory M: Thank you for the information.
(03) Gregory M: May I know what are the HD changes that you would like to do ?
Joshua Moneypenny: well im really upset about losing the VOOM channels and I really dont feel the ultimate pack is worth 10 extra dollars now
(03) Gregory M: I apologize for the inconvenience.
(03) Gregory M: DISH Network continues to provide the best HD experience for our customers, which means listening to our customers and evaluating the channel line ups within our HD packages.
(03) Gregory M: We are excited to announce that we have 22 new HD channels, as well as plenty of alternative programming that is very similar to VOOM’s ULTRA HD channel. For example, the Travel Channel HD, on channel 215, HGTV HD on channel 112, or the Food Network HD on channel 110 are all great alternatives with similar content.
(03) Gregory M: Are you still there?
Joshua Moneypenny: i understand that, my problem is with still paying the 10 extra dollars for "Ultimate" when it lacks so much
(03) Gregory M: If you wish you can downgrade to HD essential for $10.00 a month which will reduce the bill by $10.00.
Joshua Moneypenny: are there any plans on adding anything to the ultimate package to make it woth the extra money?
(03) Gregory M: Yes, we have added 22 new HD channels.
Joshua Moneypenny: no i said to the adding to the ultimate pack, those are included in the essentials pack
(03) Gregory M: Please give me 2-3 minutes to research this.
(03) Gregory M: You will still receive 39 HD channels in the HD ultimate package.
Joshua Moneypenny: and how many with essentials
(03) Gregory M: In the HD essential total of 33 HD channels.
(03) Gregory M: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Joshua Moneypenny: so $20 for 39 channels or $10 for 33, doesnt seem real balanced....i can guess you need to change me the essentials pack since it doesnt seem Dish going to add/change the ultimate package anytime soon
(03) Gregory M: Alright I will change the package.
(03) Gregory M: Your new monthly rate will be $ 80.97 plus taxes.Your next bill will be slightly different than this rate because we charge from the date you make a change plus a one time $5 transaction fee for downgrading your service.
(03) Gregory M: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Joshua Moneypenny: you need to waive the $5 fee since Dish dropped the channels and not me
(03) Gregory M: I would like to inform you that I will go ahead and waive off $5.00 transaction fee.
(03) Gregory M: The changes will be effective within 10-15 minutes.
Joshua Moneypenny: thank you
(03) Gregory M: You are all set. Is there anything else I can do for you?
(03) Gregory M: You're very welcome.
(03) Gregory M: Thank you for using Dish Network Live Chat. Have a great day.
Joshua Moneypenny: no that is all
(03) Gregory M: As the conversation has ended with a proper resolution, I'll now end the session.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
spacer.gif

That transcript is pretty similar to the one I had when I changed earlier this week (I went to dishHD from AT100 + Dish Essentials). Pretty much if you just ask, and be polite about it, I think they have leeway to waive it.

I just downgraded to Essentials and the CSR waived the $5.00 downgrade fee without me saying a word.

I said thank you as I wasn't the one who downgraded in the first place.

Heck, a Dish Network CSR just told me that I could have VOOM if I placed a DishHD Order:

Please wait while we find a Sales Representative to assist you...
If your wait time exeeds your expections, please try again later or contact us at 1-888-347-4881.
You have been connected to (01) Lorelie S.
(01) Lorelie S: Welcome to Dish Network, the leader in HD and DVR services. How may I assist you in your buying experience?
Jay: Hello, I was signing up for the DishHD Standalone package with VOOMHD for 24 months, but I no longer see the VOOM channels in the programming lineup. I thought all the HD channels (except HBO, etc.) were in the DishHD Ultimate package? THX...
(01) Lorelie S: Is there anything else that I can help you with?
(01) Lorelie S: Let me correct my self.
(01) Lorelie S: Thank you for considering Dish Network.
Jay: (01) Lorelie S: Is there anything else that I can help you with?...yes, you can answer my question.
(01) Lorelie S: Please give me a moment to research that information for you. This may take a few minutes.
Jay: Thanks... (5 minutes pass)
(01) Lorelie S: Thank you for waiting.
(01) Lorelie S: VOOM HD is already included with the HD Standalone.
(01) Lorelie S: Here are the channels included in HD Standalone package.
(01) Lorelie S: A & E HD
ABC Family HD
Animal Planet in HD
Animania HD
Big Ten Network in HD
Bio Channel in HD (Biography)
Bravo channel in HD
Cartoon channel in HD
CNBC in HD
CNN HD
Discovery HD
Disney channel in HD
Equator HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
ESPNnews in HD
Filmfest HD
Food Network HD
Gallery HD
Game Play HD
Hallmark Movie channel in HD
HD News HD
HD Theater
HDNET
HDNET movies
HGTV HD
History channel HD
Kung Fu HD
MHD
Monster HD
NBA TV in HD
NFL Network in HD
NHL Network HD
Rave HD
Rush HD

Sci Fi in HD
TBS HD
Tennis channel in HD
TLC HD
TNT HD
Toon Disney in HD
Travel channel in HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD

Universal HD
USA HD
Weather channel in HD
World Cinema HD
World Sport HD

Jay: So, if I place my order today...I will receive all the VOOM HD channels? Thanks!
(01) Lorelie S: Yes that is correct!
(01) Lorelie S: To better serve you, are you using the same link to set up your order?
The agent is sending you to https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/builddish/land.do#anchorName2.
Jay: Thank you so much for the information...yes!
(01) Lorelie S: Perfect!

I dropped yesterday with no issues. The CR stated upfront that the fee would be waived due to how things went down. Seems like the one thing that is consistent with the reps is that nothing is consistent!

Oh yeah! If you downgrade your package, you get penalized with a $5.00 fee. Isn't that wonderful? :)
That's pretty lame. You are still using their service and paying them money, you would think they would want to do what they can to appease you???

DISh has always had it. in many cases they waive it but not always. I would agree that it would be a good PR move to waive it here but perhaps they don't intend to keep VOOM off all that long.

Or amybe they just don't think that many people care.

They do it for people that sub to premium channels for, say, HBO just for the sopranos, then cancel the night of the final, then re sub, then cancel.

They have to have someone put you on and take you off, signals to the stat stream to change what your card can see, ect.

Gotta pay peoples salaries.

Doesn't look like they gave anyone an inch of a problem waiving the fee.

They do it for people that sub to premium channels for, say, HBO just for the sopranos, then cancel the night of the final, then re sub, then cancel.

They have to have someone put you on and take you off, signals to the stat stream to change what your card can see, ect.

Gotta pay peoples salaries.

Doesn't look like they gave anyone an inch of a problem waiving the fee.
I understand that. In that case they should just put a minimum service required, like 30 days or so, then if you cancel before that date they should charge you.

I understand that. In that case they should just put a minimum service required, like 30 days or so, then if you cancel before that date they should charge you.

Maybe they should but they don't. As I say many people have poste that they did NOT get the fee on some cancellations but it ia indeed a standard fee an has always been there. they even charge you if you swap one premium for one anorther---but again they have been known to waive it.

seriously, you asked (well demanded is more like it) for the fee to be waived, and it was waived with no pushback whatsoever. every bill has a list of all applicable fees, and it is very well known that programming is subject to change, yet they still waived the fee. so why did you feel so compelled to write this post? every reply here has had the same ease in not having to pay the fee.

geronimo, there is no fee for side trading premiums providing your monthly rate remains the same. trade showtime for starz, even trade no fee. trade hbo for starz, now there is a 2.00 diff, then there is a fee. heck, if you are on the dda200 and have two premiums, they are only 10 bucks each. want to trade a premium for the 250bonus pack there is no fee as monthly rate did not change. downgrade from hd ultimate to essentials, add cinemax with that, no montly decrease, no fee. the combos go on

now this rule does not apply to adult programming. any removal of adult programing is a 10 fee, even is you add one channel when removing another.

Joshua Moneypenny: you need to waive the $5 fee...

Gregory M: I would like to inform you that I will go ahead and waive off $5.00 transaction fee.

The force gives you power over weak minds.

No problems when i downgraded to Essentials last night over the phone.
No mention of a $5 fee - if it shows up on my bill I'll call up and try your Jedi power of suggestion trick to get it reversed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)