Feeback from Previous E* subscribers

kccody

Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
I am looking to switch from E* to Voom. I had several questions about leaving E* at the following link: <http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=47856>

Besides those questions, what comments do you have about Voom as compared to E*.

My concerns are
1. PQ on both HD and SD channels.
2. user interface of STB
3. able to get ota. (If you have no problem getting them on E* - there should be no problem getting them on Voom?)

Additionally from looking at other posts, if I lease now and a new dish comes out, how will that affect me?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

1) VOOM HD PQ is generally excellent. No idea on DISH HD (DISH was in no way interested in setting me up with HD after being a loyal 7-yr customer :mad: , hence I am VOOMing now :) ). SD is same or better.
2) I had a legacy DISH reciever, compared to that VOOM is better. Although I hear DISH current UI is better than the old ones. VOOM UI almost unusable on smaller SD sets using composite or s-video inputs (my 26" you can barely make out the text). It looks great on my 57" HD set.
3) VOOM does OTA (DTV signals recieved via antenna, and the best DTV signal you can get). DISH does not do OTA (regurgitates local stations over the satellite, in a compressed state with significant loss of picture quality)

Rob.

rvsixer said:
3) VOOM does OTA (DTV signals recieved via antenna, and the best DTV signal you can get). DISH does not do OTA (regurgitates local stations over the satellite, in a compressed state with significant loss of picture quality)

Rob.

Funny how I have a Dish Model 811 receiver and get all the OTA HD channels in my area via an OTA antenna. I must have a special 811 receiver.

rocatman said:
Funny how I have a Dish Model 811 receiver and get all the OTA HD channels in my area via an OTA antenna. I must have a special 811 receiver.

My bad you are correct, any STB with a built-in OTA tuner will do OTA. I stated things in the wrong context (VOOM does not rebroadcast SD locals over sat as DISH does).

Rob.

I was (actually am on hold) Dish HD 6000 subscriber.

1. Voom HD PQ = Dish HD PQ. Selection HD - you know the answer. Voom SD PQ is much better then Dish 6000 can deliver. I like more Voom streching options compare to Dish 6000.

2. Voom UI is faster and better then slow, lousy 4 hours Dish 6000.

3. Voom installed free for me outside OTA antenna which picked up all my locals. With Dish I had self-installed attic antenna and missed some chanells.

With latest Voom news my hold on Dish will be over. Bye, Dish... :D

Had an Dish 811 alongside Voom before I "moved" the Dish equipment to my Dad's for good. 811 interface was ugly and confusing and 4:3. HD pq was fine. Dish SD was by far the worst of any source (Dish, Voom, OTA). Dish 522 interface was nicer, DVR worked fine, but SD only. Pfft.

Only real down for me is no regional sports network (FS Bay Area coming soon), and for some the DVR.

Minsk1 said:
I was (actually am on hold) Dish HD 6000 subscriber.

1. Voom HD PQ = Dish HD PQ. Selection HD - you know the answer. Voom SD PQ is much better then Dish 6000 can deliver. I like more Voom streching options compare to Dish 6000.

2. Voom UI is faster and better then slow, lousy 4 hours Dish 6000.

3. Voom installed free for me outside OTA antenna which picked up all my locals. With Dish I had self-installed attic antenna and missed some chanells.

With latest Voom news my hold on Dish will be over. Bye, Dish... :D

I am currently in the same boat with Dish. $5 per month mothball status until I find out what Voom is doing. Now we are pretty sure Voom will survive I think a call to Dish for disconnect is in order. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)