DVI cable from Voom to VGA projector?

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
Hi all, I have a projector that has only VGA in, but I am not sure if I can find a cable that will allow me to go from the Voom box DVI to the VGA in on the projector. Is anyone using such a setup? or is it even possible?

The DVI on the receiver will not convert to analog VGA...

The DVI plug on the Voom receiver is DVI-D specification. This means it will only output RGBHV digital only and not RGBHV analog. Adaptors like the one shown in the link by another person will not work with a DVI-D interface. It requires a DVI-I interface (example:computers have DVI-I interface on their video cards in order to ensure compatibility with older CRT monitors with the VGA interface connection). Set-top receivers on the other hand 9 times out of 10 usually have a DVI-D interface only in order to output a RGBHV signal in digital form for Plasmas, LCDs, DLPs, and projectors that can handle the digital signal. I have a Pioneer 52" CRT HDTV projection screen at my house. It does not have DVI or HDMI and only accepts Component or a VGA interface connection for 1080i signals. I tried using the adaptor for VGA to DVI connection on the back of the Voom receiver and it won't fit due to the fact that DVI-I has more pins in the connector than DVI-D does. The reason for this is that DVI-I carries both an analog signal (DVI-A specification) as well as a Digital signal (DVI-D specification).

Ilya said:
No, this will not work! As lilyarbie correctly pointed out this only works with DVI-I interface, but not with the DVI-D, that VOOM box has!
Ahh I see that now in the description. Good catch.

Shawn

There is a costly alternative....

On Ebay, if you look up the words "DVI to VGA" you'll get a listing of adaptors for DVI-I interface. If you change the listing options to the "highest price first", it will show you a list of D/A (Digital-to-Analog) converters for the DVI-I or DVI-D interface. This basically works by retranslating the digital signal portion of the connected device into a pure analog RGBHV signal. The bad thing however is the cost of these devices. You can order one from the United Kingdom with shipping for a grand total of $305.00 or one from the U.S. with shipping for $309.00. It should be noted though that these connectors do not mention any kind of compatibility with HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection signal) that 99% of DVI-D interfaces output. It's been rumored that Voom enabled this with the very last firmware update and that these activated receivers will scramble even OTA broadcasts if a device that is connected via the DVI-D interface has no HDCP support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)