Feedback on MPEG4 Quality to OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Not looking for any D* bashers to start the nonsence. Just looking for some opinions on the HD PQ of those that have gone from OTA and are now receiving their locals through the AT9. No where near as good as OTA? About the same? Better??? Any Columbus OH people chime in too. I have not switched yet because
I like many others can't do without my HD Tivo but now I am reading that some are going ahead and updating and still running the HR10-250 along side their new MPEG 4 receiver. Actually never thought of that. Had some heavy rain last night and my FOX signal kept dropping OTA while the All Star Game was on, wonder if any locals with the new setup lost the signal? Anyway, back to point...PQ of HD locals with MPEG4 setup compared to OTA, not based on what should be better, actual viewers!!

I compared 2 Hartford locals (CBS, NBC) to OTA and I cant tell difference. I didnt geek compare bit rates or ratios just normal eyeball on a Samsung 30" via DVI cable from my H20. Both looked the same. The only thing is audio appears out of sync via D* but I think thats a known issue.

Brewer4 said:
I compared 2 Hartford locals (CBS, NBC) to OTA and I cant tell difference. I didnt geek compare bit rates or ratios just normal eyeball on a Samsung 30" via DVI cable from my H20. Both looked the same. The only thing is audio appears out of sync via D* but I think thats a known issue.

Same here, no real noticable difference.

Brewer4 said:

We have both on 2 different sets (a Panasonic 34" CRT widescreen and a Sony 19" LCD widescreen). We had some friends down last night to watch the MLB All Star game and I aked each of them to compare OTA vs MPEG4 on both sets. Everybody said they either couldn't tell the difference or that the difference was so minimal as to be negligeable.

BTW, I explained to all of them that the CRT had somewhat of an advantage because of the technologies involved. I also explained that the 19" Sony had a little advantage because the smaller the screen, the sharper the image usually.

None of these people are "video purists or fanatics", just common people of all ages. They know nothing (or care anything) about bitrates, etc, etc. Just what they see with their own eyes.

Last edited:
The only time I've really been able to tell much of a difference was during the World Cup. I noticed a bit more "swimming grass" viewing through D* than I did OTA. I have a 46" DLP. For the most part it looks the same, though.

Thanks for the replies. I have never seen any noticable difference between my OTA channel 4 (NBC) and the national feed that I get on 82. So I guess I can run both the HR10-250 and the new HD MPEG4 receiver into my set(s), so I can Tivo when necessary but will also be ready when any RSN comes here or the new D* DVR becomes available?

I know this isn't locals but some people here have had very nice things to say about the PQ of the MPEG-4 RSNs. So maybe MPEG-4 will be the end of HD-Lite that everybody is hoping for.

FlyingJ said:
Thanks for the replies. I have never seen any noticable difference between my OTA channel 4 (NBC) and the national feed that I get on 82. So I guess I can run both the HR10-250 and the new HD MPEG4 receiver into my set(s), so I can Tivo when necessary but will also be ready when any RSN comes here or the new D* DVR becomes available?

You will not notice a big difference between channel 4 and the national NBC feed. NBC4 uses some of their bandwidth for the weather sub channel. I have seen many people state that the OTA quality of NBC4 diminished once the weather sub channel was established.

I have had the H20 and AT9 for about three weeks here in Columbus and have not been able to tell a difference between OTA and D*. Also I have never had the audio sync issue with any of the Columbus locals.

Interesting that your ota went out during a storm. Mine is very very reliable even when the dtv signal goes out.

edit...it's 1 hour later and i spoke not too soon...very bad short lived storm killed dtv but all my ota stuff looks great.

Last edited:
I'd be interested if anyone with a large screen can add to the discussion here...

To be honest, at anything < 36" or so, it's hard for most to discern between HD and HD Lite variants.

hancox said:
I'd be interested if anyone with a large screen can add to the discussion here...

To be honest, at anything < 36" or so, it's hard for most to discern between HD and HD Lite variants.

Obviously I can't compare the MPEG4 D* and the OTA, but, on my 106" screen I can not see a difference between 4-1 and 82.

The weather issue, when my installer came he said that the OTA antennae wouldn't work for me. So I got this TERK indoor antennae. My set up sits in the corner of my den so the Terk is just right their looking into a corner that is only a foot away. Could be why on crappy weather nights I have an issue now and then. Not often, but when it happens, you know it sucks! Like ummmm, through some of the All Star game last Tuesday.

I have a 65" projection TV. I will experiment today. I have to bring up the H20 from the basement so will report when I get a chance. It will be via component to TV at 1080i.

I have a 61" DLP and cannot tell a difference between the OTA & D*. Only problem is waiting for the D* ch to load up compared to OTA. Sometimes it take a while for the picture to come on. Hilliard OH.

hancox said:

probably a bit OT but i can definitely see a difference in SHO/HBO vs my OTA. I'm assuming sho/hbo is what they call 'lite'?

I see problems with fast moving stuff etc and even when i bring tivo out of fast forward, the motion is 'different' than on OTA.

newsposter said:
probably a bit OT but i can definitely see a difference in SHO/HBO vs my OTA. I'm assuming sho/hbo is what they call 'lite'?

I see problems with fast moving stuff etc and even when i bring tivo out of fast forward, the motion is 'different' than on OTA.

right, but too many source differences could also be in play. It's apples and oranges. OTA to MPEG4 locals is more apples/apples.

hancox said:

My comments are with watching the MPEG4 channels on a 46" Sony.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)