Feeling a little sorry for the installer when I move

vodad

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Well we are almost done getting our new house ready so I am going to upgrade my system to 2 hoppers and 3 joey's. Only thing is I am pretty sure that the dish is going to have to be about 100' from the house to get a signal. if they can get a signal at all where I am moving too. and then the whole house has to be wired. I have a feeling someone is going to be at my house all day for this one.

I sincerely hope you are joking and you did a structured wiring system with high end coax and Cat 6 (or at least Cat 5e). That's rule #1 of building. It was a pain for me to retrofit all that into my house that I bought.

The house was built in the 1950s, there was some remodeling, but no pre wiring, we bought it when it was almost complete, minus just a couple things. all wiring will be able to be either on the far side of the house, where no one can see it from anywhere unless they walk to that side, which has woods and one neighbor. or it can go from the basement to the rooms. there is only one other run of cable that needs to be made, and that can easily be hidden in the soffit. and yes I will be adding some Cat6 cabling to the house at some point. but again everything can be done from the basement pretty easily.

The only things we have had to do this house was change some paint colors, put down carpeting, and fix some minor wiring issues.

The wife is on board with anything I need to do with wiring as long as there are no wires running across floors and everything is hidden. I am actually going to be able to get rid of some of the nasty wiring that is already in the house, from where the previous owners had Sat, and have double cables ran through walls and up floors.

If I was to build a new home from the start, it would probably have double runs of cat 6 and high end coax to every room.

The house was built in the 1950s, there was some remodeling, but no pre wiring, we bought it when it was almost complete, minus just a couple things. all wiring will be able to be either on the far side of the house, where no one can see it from anywhere unless they walk to that side, which has woods and one neighbor. or it can go from the basement to the rooms. there is only one other run of cable that needs to be made, and that can easily be hidden in the soffit. and yes I will be adding some Cat6 cabling to the house at some point. but again everything can be done from the basement pretty easily.

The only things we have had to do this house was change some paint colors, put down carpeting, and fix some minor wiring issues.

The wife is on board with anything I need to do with wiring as long as there are no wires running across floors and everything is hidden. I am actually going to be able to get rid of some of the nasty wiring that is already in the house, from where the previous owners had Sat, and have double cables ran through walls and up floors.

If I was to build a new home from the start, it would probably have double runs of cat 6 and high end coax to every room.
Running wire from the basement is a pain in the a$$ compared to the attic. This is because its harder to find the actual walls from the basement. The best way to do it is to get an 1/8 drill bit, and some form of hard wire that is small enough to fit through the hole, decide where you want the jack to be and drill the 1/8 hole right at the baseboard and stick the wire through it. Once you find the wire, then drill your hole for the wire run about two inches away from the pilot hole for your wire run. If you get a proper bit you might be able to drill through the carpet without unraveling it and should stay hidden.

Here is part of the plan, the people that lived there before us, had an obsession with phone jacks. I have no need for a home phone, so this is going to be a follow the wire, yank it out, drill the hole larger and run coax situation. I pretty much have every room planned out at this point, and will have it all marked. Nice thing with the hopper is the node, everything runs from there. There is a nice spot in the basement that should make it all pretty easy to get wires where I need them. almost all the runs from the node to the recievers will be about 15' or less, except one, the master bedroom, it will have to go back outside and around the house, into the soffit and into the floor of the bedrooom, the master overhangs the walk out basement in the backyard about 18" that should be pretty easy, it is about 7 feet up, and I can reach right up and drill a hole through the floor. run the wire right under the carpet along that wall and right into the hopper.

and yes Claude, it is very possible for the whole thing to be stopped because of trees. There is one spot, with about 6 little trees that I may be able to get to work, when I cut those out Friday night, the wife wants that spot cleaned up anyway.

The room addition was done outside the original basement, there is a new room under it, but they drywalled the ceiling in that room so unless I want to cut into it then taking it outside is about the only option.it will be quick, easy and the wires will be hidden, except on the side of the house that already has a couple cable wires, and the power lines and a few other things.

The room addition was done outside the original basement, there is a new room under it, but they drywalled the ceiling in that room so unless I want to cut into it then taking it outside is about the only option.it will be quick, easy and the wires will be hidden, except on the side of the house that already has a couple cable wires, and the power lines and a few other things.

Do you have attic access? Oh, there is a new room directly on top. never mind. Yeah that would complicate matters. You could cut small access holes at the studs/joists and patch them up, but there again if you are OK with the wire on the outside of the house then that would be fine.

Watch the luckey installer who gets assigned your job tree it out :) LOL LOL

Yep. You're work sounds like custom work. Techs get the catch 22 there. They have time frames to maintain. They cannot charge anything for custom labor. You are getting a "free" install. So it's pretty hard to find the tech that is going to devote his whole day to custom labor. I always say you get what you pay for. Free install is just that. I'm not saying that should imply a terrible or ugly install, just that expecting a ton of custom work is silly.

If you could have a lot of the custom work done that would make it much easier. Especially if you're wanting the cables mostly hidden. But before going overboard I would verify line of sight for signal.

Couldn't you use the TP wire as pull line?

That would really depend on how the wire is run through the walls. RG-6 is stiffer than cat5/6 and I know this applies to cat5, if the wire is in a straight line it wouldn't be that hard to pull the rg-6 with the TP wire, but heres a good example. If there is a phone jack under a window, the wire runs through the studs, then 90s up the wall to the ceiling, then 90s again to other side of the room, it would be near impossible to pull it from the end of the room like that.

If it should be easy to wire, go ahead and be finished wiring it before the technician arrives. Doesn't sound like free "STANDARD" installation to me.

I'm a new Dish customer and decided to use a local dealer instead of the 800 number. When the owner's brother-in-law showed up with his wife to install it, I showed him where I'd like to put the node in a laundry room and told him where all the holes were in the attic where I had already run CAT5. He did the attic work and I pulled it from the bottom for him. We tied a string onto the CAT5, pulled it up to the attic, attached the RG6 to it and I pulled both back down. I either furnished him with a wall plate or left it open for me to clean up later. I was very pleased with his installation. Took him 5 or 6 hours to do new dish on roof, 2 Hoppers, 2 Joeys, and get it all online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)