Feeling Cheated by Dish

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
Got a question on the whole HD upgrade thing. I see they've got options for customers who don't have HD and customers who have older HD receivers and programing but what about those who got HD for the first time back in February when the 622 and 211 were released. I paid $299 for my receiver and signed up for HD Platinum and got nothing. Actually I got $25 for the defunct 510 I sent in. I had to wait over a month for my install. When they came out they didn't have a DP44 switch so I then had to wait another 3 weeks for that to show up. Customers are now getting the same receiver for $199 plus $100 off on HD programing. Shouldn't customers like myself be entitled to something. I tried to get another 622 a few weeks backs when my 721 bit the dust but I was told I had to wait a year before I was eligible for another upgrade. Honestly I feel like I've been given the short end of the stick on 2 occasions now.

Now I know I've had the 622 a few months before anyone else but I still feel cheated. Anybody contact Dish about this or feel the same way?

Well 1st sounds like the installer was clueless on somethings! I would call Dish let them know what going with your install and see if you can get in on any of the new promotions.. Anyway let us know how things go.. :)

Early adopters!!

I like you purchased a newer HD receiver early in the game, we got to suffer the initial problems, video and audio blanking, sync issues etc... (Beta testers).

Sometimes The better deals come later!!
Unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes!!

I have been a customer of Dish for a long time and I did catch a break once by having $5 removed from my bill for about 2 years.

I agree with rcbridge; sometimes it doesn't pay to be an early adopter.

I too payed $299 for my 622. Just the way it goes, I guess. And they have no incentive to offer existing customers such things; their goal is to bring in new customers.

I, too paid $299.00 for my receiver on April 29th. and was really disapointed when I learned about the new promotion later. I have been a customer for years and have never got anything for free. You would think we would get a break sometime.

People that want to be the first with the new toy always pay a much higher price. These are things to consider when new technology becomes available.

Those that had to have a DVD player when they first hit the market paid close to $1,000. Now you can get one for $29 (before $10 mail-in rebate)...

Never delivered service but charged 249.98 anyway

Dish network literally caused me chest pains. Here is what they did to me. Tell me if the following can be called anything but out right theft!

If you do not want to read the entire page, the bottom line is that Dish Network made promises and broke them, and denied it later, took my money and could not deliver the service, but kept my money anyway!

On 8-6-06 I called Dish network and inquired about their HD package. I talked to a gentleman, whose name I think was Ben, and he was in Texas. I told him I was interested in Dish Network, but I have been reluctant to sign on because I have been told over the years that the Dish Network satellite was too low in the sky because I was in the mountains. This salesman told me that they now had new satellites that were very close to Directv satellites, which I can get. (I have had DTV, but they just do not have enough hd channels) I said that is good, but what if I cannot get the signal after I sign up. He stated to me not to worry, because you have nothing to loose because of our total money back guarantee. (that is what he called it a total money back guarantee) If you cannot get the signal, you get all of your money back. He made that extremely clear, so I signed up. On 8-9-06, the installer came out and worked for 2 days on my roof. They got a spotty signal of non hd channels that would come and go. They said there are massive storm clouds that were interfering with the signal and I should try it for a couple of days after the storm passed. I did just that and still no signal on any hd channels and basically nothing on the others either. I called up Dish instantly after the storm passed and told them the situation and they said sorry and I would get a total refund since it had not been the 30 days. They said I just had to get the hd receiver back to them and they would even send the boxes to ship them back in. It took 7 phone calls to service centers all over the world for me to finally get the boxes sent to me. They told me that when they got the receiver back they would then refund me the 249.98. Please keep in mind that my service was already canceled after 1 day. They got the receiver back and acknowledged it, but now said we cannot give you your 249.98 money back because that was an upgrade fee. I said upgrade to what, I never got your service, even for 1 minute. Also what about all of your employees and your website stating “a total and full refund offer for 30 days” I talked to 3 different tiers and finally ended up in the executive tier and talked to a supervisor named Jason. ( around 3:30 9-11-06) Jason told me that he knew it did not sound fair but that was the way it was. I said it not only does not sound fair, it is absolutely not fair and I do not know how to call it anything else but theft. I told this Jason that I had no choice but to let the entire cyber world know about what Dish had done to me. He made some hard to hear comment like “oooh were scared” By any way you look at, this company owes me this money, and I know that I can cost them far more than what they owe me, but they also fail the IQ test, because they said they didn’t care. How does this company stay in business. I have been with DTV for 10 years and never have had any problem like this. I would never consider changing service if DTV had more HD channels and I especially would not have ordered Dish network if I thought I was chancing 249.98 even if I could not get there signal. I have the work order that shows that I signed the form acknowledging that there was no line of sight, but also since they left the equipment for a couple of days, I also signed the same form that they did complete the installation.

Is there anyone out there that thinks this is absolutely wrong? Any ideas of which way to go. I do not like having a company steal 249.98 from me, but it has become a principal now, even if it was just 5.00, this is just theft. My neighbor who was going to go with Dish is not going to now and it made him so mad that he thought of the slogan concerning satellite tv. “When considering satellite TV, stay S.A.F.E. (stay away from echostar) which of course is Dish Network.

I am sure I will calm down, but at this time of writing, I feel like staying on this issue indefinitely and making the world aware of these business practices.

bumblebee8 said:
I, too paid $299.00 for my receiver on April 29th. and was really disapointed when I learned about the new promotion later. I have been a customer for years and have never got anything for free. You would think we would get a break sometime.
I've been a dish network customer for 9+ years and never received anything for free. That's ok...I don't mind paying my way...I just keep telling myself that's ok.

My biggest beef is with anything coming off of that POS 129 bird they have up there. They (Dish) should hang their heads in shame for bragging about having more HD than anyone else! Sure, they may have more HD channels than anyone else, but anyone in the NW (and most of the rest of the west coast) can't get a stable signal from it, even with two dishes - and they (Dish) doesn't care.

"My biggest beef is with anything coming off of that POS 129 bird they have up there. They (Dish) should hang their heads in shame for bragging about having more HD than anyone else! Sure, they may have more HD channels than anyone else, but anyone in the NW (and most of the rest of the west coast) can't get a stable signal from it, even with two dishes - and they (Dish) doesn't care."

Very well said. I just dropped the HD package, I just got sick and tired of watching garbage which E* calls HD.

I paid $1,000 for an RCA VCR when they first came out and the t120 tapes that are $.99 now were $20 each. I would do it again to get the use that I got out of that recorder. It weighed about 50 pounds too. NO regrets! I like being on the cutting edge of technology.

jerryez said:
I paid $1,000 for an RCA VCR when they first came out and the t120 tapes that are $.99 now were $20 each. I would do it again to get the use that I got out of that recorder. It weighed about 50 pounds too. NO regrets! I like being on the cutting edge of technology.
You got what you wanted and did not feel cheated and that's great!

Anyone wanting to be on the cutting edge of technology must realize that there is a premium to be paid in doing so...and it's not cheating! It is the price paid by a willing buyer to a willing seller (also known as the free enterprise system)...

AIsmail said:
Got a question on the whole HD upgrade thing. I see they've got options for customers who don't have HD and customers who have older HD receivers and programing but what about those who got HD for the first time back in February when the 622 and 211 were released. I paid $299 for my receiver and signed up for HD Platinum and got nothing. Actually I got $25 for the defunct 510 I sent in. I had to wait over a month for my install. When they came out they didn't have a DP44 switch so I then had to wait another 3 weeks for that to show up. Customers are now getting the same receiver for $199 plus $100 off on HD programing. Shouldn't customers like myself be entitled to something. I tried to get another 622 a few weeks backs when my 721 bit the dust but I was told I had to wait a year before I was eligible for another upgrade. Honestly I feel like I've been given the short end of the stick on 2 occasions now.

Now I know I've had the 622 a few months before anyone else but I still feel cheated. Anybody contact Dish about this or feel the same way?

The TV I bought a few months ago is also cheaper now and I don't see how they will give me a refund. It's the way it works in the electronic world. Same way with computers.

Yeah very true BrianB! I work in the IT field and it has always been that way with electronics and PC's..

I cannot belive anybody is siding with Dish on this. Did I not read that horribly long post right? It sounds to me like Twilloo was never a Dish customer because they had been told more than once that they had no LOS for at least one of the satellites. So some punk-ass salesman who could not care less about the customers talks them into signing up, assuring them that they would be able to get a signal now because "the satellites are higher now(rolls eyes). So, they pony up the 250 for the reciever(they did not buy this thing), the hack techs come out, get a half-assed signal, blame it on storm clouds, get the customer to sign off on it and leave.

Now, Twilloo sent Dish the receiver back, has NOTHING, and is out that 250? What kind of BS is that? It sounds like Twilloo's only mistake was signing the Service Agreement and DHA, possibly because they were rushed into it by the techs who obviously wanted to get the hell out of dodge. And there is a money back guarantee promotion right now, does that not apply to new HD customers?

I am a tech. Maybe not the best tech in the world, but I'm not going to hang a dish if I can't nail a line of sight. I DO have to carry a compass still(might have a few years before I lose the need for that), and I have a pretty good idea where to find just about any Satellite Dish uses. I realize techs are forced into some pretty shady stuff sometimes just so they can get paid, but I don't pull stuff like that (I'm assuming that the guy didn't call it No LOS to begin with, and was only doing it at your insistance). And even if I had made a bad judgement call and thought I had a LOS but didn't(never happen),I'd have to be up front about it, and hope the customer isnt the "angry" type.

I'm sorry Twilloo, I havent seen anybody thats on yourside(possibly because they didnt read the post, pretty long. :p), but if I read it right, you have my sympathies. I think that somebody has probably just gotten confused, there is no way they can legally keep that money, I dont think...actually, ya know what? I honestly have no idea what they can legally do, but it still stinks!

Roadwarrior said:
I cannot belive anybody is siding with Dish on this. Did I not read that horribly long post right? It sounds to me like Twilloo was never a Dish customer because they had been told more than once that they had no LOS for at least one of the satellites. So some punk-ass salesman who could not care less about the customers talks them into signing up, assuring them that they would be able to get a signal now because "the satellites are higher now(rolls eyes). So, they pony up the 250 for the reciever(they did not buy this thing), the hack techs come out, get a half-assed signal, blame it on storm clouds, get the customer to sign off on it and leave.

Now, Twilloo sent Dish the receiver back, has NOTHING, and is out that 250? What kind of BS is that? It sounds like Twilloo's only mistake was signing the Service Agreement and DHA, possibly because they were rushed into it by the techs who obviously wanted to get the hell out of dodge. And there is a money back guarantee promotion right now, does that not apply to new HD customers?

I am a tech. Maybe not the best tech in the world, but I'm not going to hang a dish if I can't nail a line of sight. I DO have to carry a compass still(might have a few years before I lose the need for that), and I have a pretty good idea where to find just about any Satellite Dish uses. I realize techs are forced into some pretty shady stuff sometimes just so they can get paid, but I don't pull stuff like that (I'm assuming that the guy didn't call it No LOS to begin with, and was only doing it at your insistance). And even if I had made a bad judgement call and thought I had a LOS but didn't(never happen),I'd have to be up front about it, and hope the customer isnt the "angry" type.

I'm sorry Twilloo, I havent seen anybody thats on yourside(possibly because they didnt read the post, pretty long. :p), but if I read it right, you have my sympathies. I think that somebody has probably just gotten confused, there is no way they can legally keep that money, I dont think...actually, ya know what? I honestly have no idea what they can legally do, but it still stinks!

We are responding to the OP.. not Twilloo. Twilloo might be right, I haven't even read through his post.

BrianB said:
The TV I bought a few months ago is also cheaper now and I don't see how they will give me a refund. It's the way it works in the electronic world. Same way with computers.

That's true, but if you buy from a good retailer (walmart, best buy ) they will usually give you a refund of the difference. All you usually have to do is ask.

All dish does is take your money and giggle if you ask for it back.

"I cannot belive anybody is siding with Dish on this."

Ok, actually read the forum. Nobody sided with Dish on this. LOL. My apologies, I tend to jump the gun sometimes.

twilloo,
Time to start writing letters to the BBB, FTC, FCC, your State Attorney General
any body else you can think of. Report this to every consumer protection agency
and commision you can find. Send copys to as high as you an find in the DishNetwork and the retailer who sold you this load of crap. I bet some body here even knows Charlie Ergan's address.

Good Luck

Will this Leviton 5x8 module work with Dish?

622 question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)