Fees for leaving.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cappy29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Aliquippa,p.a
My uncle has directv and is try to say that if he leaves before his contract is up he will have to pay like $200.00 and he claims he signed up with them 2 years ago as of Jan. or Feb. 2010,now i don't know how it works with directv because i have dishnetwork but i was told for each month that goes by the amount you would owe comes down is this true with directv also?

My uncle has directv and is try to say that if he leaves before his contract is up he will have to pay like $200.00 and he claims he signed up with them 2 years ago as of Jan. or Feb. 2010,now i don't know how it works with directv because i have dishnetwork but i was told for each month that goes by the amount you would owe comes down is this true with directv also?
its $200. what you said about dish is true but i believe its different with directv

So another words no matter when you leave say only a month to go they will still charge you the $200.00

Nope

It goes down every month. It sounds like he still has around 10 months left in his contract.

As agreed to when he signed up, I believe so, yes. I thought this was a prorated fee though. So if he was done in Feb with his commitment, he'd only have $xx per month remaining to pay.

Contract.

Nope

It goes down every month. It sounds like he still has around 10 months left in his contract.

Not sure about directv but i would imagine it's 2 year contract right so he should only have like 1-2 months left since he says it will be 2 years as of Jan or Feb 2010.

Not sure about directv but i would imagine it's 2 year contract right so he should only have like 1-2 months left since he says it will be 2 years as of Jan or Feb 2010.

Did he ever upgrade or get another receiver during his time with Directv? If the answer is yes it would have extended the contract.

The normal termination fee is $480 for a 24 month commitment ($20 per month) for their advance equipment.

Jag is correct. I started Nov. 1 2008. I called to see what my ETF was back in early October. At that point my ETF was 240 and would drop more in November. What he states is correct $480 when I started and $20 drop each month I stay.

As far as i know he got both receiver's up front when he got directv,i just spoke with him today and relayed the info. and told him to find out for sure as far as what he owes by calling them.

If its $200, then I would just downgrade to the most basic package and pay the last month or two regularly!
As the most basic package is $29.99 per month, it doesn't make much sense to stick it out if it only costs $20 to punch out now.

On second thought, if your alternative is no pay TV at all, it might make sense to get a few channels for a difference of $9.99 per month.

Did he ever upgrade or get another receiver during his time with Directv? If the answer is yes it would have extended the contract.

The normal termination fee is $480 for a 24 month commitment ($20 per month) for their advance equipment.

That is...unless you have a service plan. With a service plan, you wouldn't have your contract extended with a receiver replacement and/or upgrade. Only if you modify your program package.

That is...unless you have a service plan. With a service plan, you wouldn't have your contract extended with a receiver replacement and/or upgrade. Only if you modify your program package.

That is not true. The protection plan does not prevent your contract from being extended from an upgrade. Yes on the defective receiver but not a upgrade.

With a service plan, you wouldn't have your contract extended with a receiver replacement and/or upgrade. Only if you modify your program package.
Changing your programming package should not result in a commitment extension. Only adding or upgrading hardware does that.

Having equipment replaced, if defective, shouldn't extend your contract, whether you have the pp or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)