Fell into the IPTV now.

You know my location then you would know why. I see what your talking about. My dish is pointed to at 99w. Can i use an n card usb to build antenna? They put those inside tincans and stick them out windows to get wifi. Another program i use is netstubler.

Most USB Wi-fi adapters don't support detachable antennas, but I suppose anything is possible. You would want to use a router if you're going to have more than one device connected.

Doing a gateway through a computer may be possible but I doubt that it is anything approaching optimal.

Harshness and primestar this is a video for you. Harsh try using netstumbler its a great program.

Usb cables can't be longer than about 16 feet, unless you buy a powered one. Other than that, yep, you could put one of those at the focal point of your dish and pick up wifi. Or get/make a Cantenna.

I have a spare router from frontier i would love to go wardriving around the neighborhood.
The problem with gateways is that they can be very difficult to turn into routers. The WAN traffic is typically designed to come only from the built-in modem. Third party router software isn't much of a hope either.

Not that I need to steal someone else's Wi-fi, but my phone says that all the Wi-fi connections around me are locked down. A subsequent survey of my neighbors confirms that even their hidden connections are locked down. At my second home, there's one guest open but it offers zero throughput.

I used the term "steal" because Wi-fi isn't an unlimited resource with negligible cost, I consider using someone else's bandwidth without permission as theft. Further that someone may have conned the provider into believing that their use wasn't going to have any impact is reprehensible.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The problem with gateways is that they can be very difficult to turn into routers. The WAN traffic is typically designed to come only from the built-in modem. Third party router software isn't much of a hope either.

Correct. I do not recommend using a gateway as a router. The software is usually proprietary and as harshness stated, not easy to use independent of the ISP it was written for.

Harshness it comes with a signal meter i have used it before pretty handy. Its kind of neat to see whats around it even picks up GM wifi signals from their cars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts