And the ugliest headend award goes to...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

xwhite3

Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hi folks,

I recall when I got "that" cable bill that made me go insane and start the journey towards cord-cutting. But I have a tougher time figuring out when I went a little over the top. It might have been when my wife said; " Now thats just over the top." Anyway, it has to lead to adding internet stations to the existing mix of local content players, FTA, and OTA channels in our house. But worst of all I realize in my madness also lead to creating the ugliest headend in the world. So I thought I would share...

headend-jpg.141357

I think I have a good shot at taking first place.

Attachments

• headend.jpg
    headend.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,365
Hi folks,

I recall when I got "that" cable bill that made me go insane and start the journey towards cord-cutting. But I have a tougher time figuring out when I went a little over the top. It might have been when my wife said; " Now thats just over the top." Anyway, it has to lead to adding internet stations to the existing mix of local content players, FTA, and OTA channels in our house. But worst of all I realize in my madness also lead to creating the ugliest headend in the world. So I thought I would share...

headend-jpg.141357

You run your own cable company?!

The money he spent on all those components, racks, UPS systems, and cabling cost more than what he was paying before he "cut the cord." How many years of cable bills would it take to equal the investment in all that hardware? :facepalm

I'm still trying to figure out what most of that stuff is!?! There's overkill and then then there's that!

To me, the components look like tuners and modulators that take channels from various sources and pack them into some kind of cable-TV-like arrangement. He's basically created a cable lineup just for his home.

Makes my rack in the basement look quite sparse-UPS Power Center, Modem, Router, Tablo and it's external Hard Drive.

Don't even have much hooked to the Televisions anymore since all we have are TCL Roku TV ( two 6 Series, three 4 series).

In the main viewing area just the TV, Receiver, Center Channel and the Power Supply.

In the old days the above plus CD Player, DVD then BR, Roku, Cable/ Sat Box, now with the empty slots in my TV stand have become places for the cats to sleep in.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: knotle
You run your own cable company?!

I guess you could say that ...I ran across a small cable company that upgraded and was trashing the modulators. They gave them to me for free, but I see these on eBay for as low as twenty bucks. For me cord-cutting is easy, but my wife only wanted to click the remote (on any TV) to watch. You definitely don't need all of this stuff, but I took on the complexity to make it easy for everyone else in the house.

I guess you could say that ...I ran across a small cable company that upgraded and was trashing the modulators. They gave them to me for free, but I see these on eBay for as low as twenty bucks. For me cord-cutting is easy, but my wife only wanted to click the remote (on any TV) to watch. You definitely don't need all of this stuff, but I took on the complexity to make it easy for everyone else in the house.

Wow, if you got all those components for free, that's a good deal.

Reactions: long_time_DNC
It would be interesting to hear the breakdown on what sources/signals are being modulated there for sure.

Hi,

Basically there are two devices for each channel. The upper device is the source; the lower is the channel modulator. The rack on the left mostly has FTA satellite receivers as the source; they are connected to two dishes. There is one modulator connected to an outdoor camera that lets me see and hear the occasional wildlife in the wooded area behind the house. There is also a Roku for internet sources; and streaming. I use Titan TV to make a custom line up of OTA channels; that source is a Raspberry Pi that refreshes every minute. The rack on the right is mostly OTA sources, 10 local channels; one is just weather (Alabama can have strong storms from time to time). The lowest source device on that rack is a DVD player; I usually loop something just to avoid having an empty channel. There is another small rack (not shown) that has two other Raspberry Pis; those have digitized content - mostly movies and music 6 TB of videos/concerts. That rack also has a Chrome cast for any streaming content that anyone wants to cast on a TV instead of a phone/computer/ iPad.

Wow, if you got all those components for free, that's a good deal.

Yeah...I got lucky. I'm in the I.T field, and I was assigned a project to find a second ISP in an area near one of my company's remote sites. I came across an address, but no business office. I decided to drive to the address and saw a bunch of large c-band dishes and an old building. I found a number and called; turns out it was the owner. Eventually, he gave me a tour and explained that he and his dad set up small cable companies when he got out of college. They focused on underserved areas and still have a few markets. They have moved to newer equipment, so the old equipment was just sitting in a corner. The rest is history.

I have to wonder how much all that equipment is running a month in electricity. With all the receiver and modulators, I wonder if the energy would get you close to a youtubeTV or a basic cable subscription. Cool way to put the old equipment to use though. Are your modulators ATSC or is it the older SD channel type.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have to wonder how much all that equipment is running a month in electricity. With all the receiver and modulators, I wonder if the energy would get you close to a youtubeTV or a basic cable subscription. Cool way to put the old equipment to use though. Are your modulators ATSC or is it the older SD channel type.

Hi,

I was initially concerned about the energy cost, but I only a small amount increase vs. $140 cable tv package. I have a Kill-a-watt meter, so I plan to measure the true power consumption. I did setup solar panels and a small grid tie inverter to reduce any extra expense, but I haven’t done the math to see were we stand. One thing I also did was to connect batteries to a 3000 watt standard inverter, then check to see if it would run everything (in case of a power outage). I was pleased to see that the output meter didn’t even move with all headend equipment powered on. In fact the meter didn’t move until I turned on the tv (and older 42’ Visio flat screen).

These are older modulators; the specs are here:

https://www.multicominc.com/wp-content/uploads/drake_vm1550_specs.pdf

Looks like they only consume 10 watts each.

Hi folks,

headend-jpg.141357

Great photo thanks for posting it. I bet the air was blue when you got your first cable bill like it was at my house. :wtf2:censored

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)